To have an item listed mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is Thursday at noon for the following week’s paper.
Students have been named in the second round of college-sponsored National Merit Scholarships, among 51 winners in Maryland of scholarships sponsored by colleges and universities throughout the nation. Each sponsor college selected scholarship winners from among finalists in the 2009 National Merit Scholarship Program who plan to attend their institution.
This announcement brings the total of Merit Scholarship winners in Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) for the 2008–2009 school year to 71 students.
Listed by school, the latest MCPS winners and their sponsoring schools are:
* Winston Churchill High School: Michael H. Weston-Dawkes, Vanderbilt University; Rani Y. Woo, University of Maryland;
* Walt Whitman High School: William S. Sisco, Northwestern University;
* Wootton High School: Rui Zhong, Emory University;
The following Potomac residents were named to the dean's list in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Villanova University for the 2009 spring semester:
* Brett Gallagher; Potomac, senior;
* Julia Hernandez; Potomac, senior;
* Madeline Jordan; North Potomac, senior.
Peter Wawrzusin of Potomac made the dean's list at The Catholic University of America for the spring 2009 semester. Peter received the classification of "Dean's List with Distinction". He earned a 3.880 GPA, which placed him in the top 10 percent of grade point averages among all Arts and Sciences undergraduates for this semester. Peter is majoring in economics and minoring in Spanish.
Anna Piper of Potomac made the dean's list at Berklee College of Music for the spring semester.
Anna Goodman, a graduate of Winston Churchill High School, has been named to the dean’s list for the spring semester at The College of Wooster. Goodman, a sophomore anthropology major from Potomac, achieved a grade point average of 3.65 or above.
Elizabeth Gitelman of North Potomac earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry from Frostburg State University in May. She was also named to the dean's list at Frostburg, with the distinction of a 4.0 grade point average.
Alexandra De Cores from Potomac was named to the dean's list at Frostburg State University.
Heidi Allen of Potomac earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education from Frostburg State University in May.
Colleen Meghan O'Donnell of Potomac made the Presidents List, achieving a perfect 4.0 GPA for the second semester at Miami University.
Miami University awarded 3,217 degrees to students during spring commencement exercises Saturday, May 9, at Yager Stadium.
* Drew Chiartas Hunsingerl of Potomac received a B.S. in Business.
* Richard Wallace Luchs of Potomac received a bachelor of arts degree.
* Caitlin Brent Slowinski of Potomac received a B.S. in Business.
* Jennifer Gayle Tucker of Potomac received a B.A. in Architecture.
* Lindsey Ann Kane of North Potomac received a Bachelor of Arts degree.
* William Lee of North Potomac received a B.S. in Business
* Katheryn Marie Phillips of North Potomac received a Bachelor of Arts degree.
Miami University students who achieved a 3.5 or better grade point average for second semester 2008-2009 have been named to the Dean's List recognizing academic performance.
* Richard Wallace Luchs of Potomac;
* Caitlin Brent Slowinski of Potomac;
* Jennifer Gayle Tucker of Potomac.