Jubilee Christian Center is hosting a Vacation Bible School, July 20-24, 12:30-3:30 p.m. For ages 3 through 6th grade, the theme is "Museum at 12627, the Mystery of God's Great Plan". There is no charge, but must be pre-registered by July 10. Jubilee Christian Center is located at 4650 Shirley Gate Rd., Fairfax. Call 703-383-1170 to register, or see www.jccag.org
Learn how the latest advances in physics and astronomy point toward the existence of God. Watch an intriguing DVD presentation called "Everything is Spiritual" at Westgate Chapel on Wednesday, July 8 at 7 p.m. All are invited; admission is free. Westgate Training Center, 4500 Southgate Place - Suite 550 (Southgate Business Park), Chantilly. Call 703-773-0456.
Congregation Yad Shalom, located in Centreville, provides a variety of programs in a traditional format with a modern flair:
* Ask about the K – 2 Hebrew school for the children for the spring semester.
* Join the congregation and Cantor Zucker for a BBQ and Havdalah service on Saturday, July 18 at 6 p.m.
For more information and/or directions, contact the Congregation at 703-579-6079, or visit www.yadshalom.com.
Centreville United Methodist Church will hold Music Camp from Aug. 10-14 from 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Children in grades 2-6 (2009-2010 school year) are invited to attend and will enjoy a Christmas in August theme. The campers will learn and perform the musical "Radio J-O-Y!" Registration forms can be found on the church Web site www.centreville-umc.org. Registration is $20 per child with a $50 family maximum. Contact the church office at 703-830-2684.
The Ekoji Buddhist Temple, located at 6500 Lake Haven Lane in Fairfax Station will hold its 27th annual Obon Festival Saturday, July 11, from 5:30 to 9 p.m. Festival activities include Japanese folk dancing, taiko drumming performed by Nen Daiko, a candle illumination ceremony, kid’s games and crafts, and traditional Japanese food dishes. Temple tours and short lectures on Buddhism will be held during the festival. Attendance is free and food and drinks will be sold throughout the evening. All are welcome. Visit www.ekoji.org for more details on Ekoji Buddhist Temple activities. Visit www.ekoji.org or call 703-239-0500.
Summer Nights at Lord of Life. Bring the whole family for a free night of fun!
* July 8 at 7:30 p.m.: The Raptor Conservancy of Virginia. See non-releasable raptors: learn about native wildlife, raptor rehabilitation, preservation of habitat and respect for all wild neighbors. (Clifton/Centreville)
* July 15 at 7:30 p.m.: Country Steppers Dance Team. See a demonstration of country-western dancing and then try a few steps of your own. All ages. (Clifton/Centreville)
* July 22 at 7:30 p.m.: Reptiles Alive. Wildlife educators will have a live reptile encounter to show and educate us. These creatures have all been rescued and are non-releasable. (Fairfax)
* July 29 at 7:30 p.m.: Bob Brown Puppets. Bob Brown will entertain us with his puppets in a variety show for all ages, Second Hand Stars. (Fairfax). Call 703-323-9500 www.lordoflifelutheran.com
Liberty Middle School in Clifton will serve as the new temporary worship location for the congregation of Mount Olive Baptist Church while their new facility is built on the church’s current Centreville site.
Temple Beth Torah is a Reform Jewish congregation and member of the Union of Reform Judaism (URJ) that meets at St. John's Episcopal Church in Centreville. Religious school is held at the Goddard School in Chantilly. The congregation offers the Northern Virginia Jewish community services that provide numerous spiritual, educational, support and social opportunities including religious school for member children age 3 through Bar/Bat Mitzvah and confirmation. The congregation welcomes all members of the community to attend any of our services or events. For more information, a newsletter, or a membership package, call 703-263-2252 or visit www.BethTorah.net.
Lord of Life Lutheran Church’s second location, 13421 Twin Lakes Dr., Clifton, is now open. Everyone is invited to worship services at 10 a.m. on Sunday. Call the church office at 703-323-9500 or go to www.lordoflifelutheran.com.
Shalom Jewish Children is a fun, hands-on Jewish educational program for young children based on experiential learning. Each session is about Jewish holidays, values and celebrations. Meets in Centreville at the Rocky Run Recreation Center. Contact Gloria Pioso at email@example.com or call 703-579-6079.