0
Votes

Insiders: Walking through History

<b>CHAIN BRIDGE (VIRGINIA END)

</b>In 1797, the merchants of Georgetown built here the first bridge over the Potomac River to compete with the Virginia port of Alexandria. The falls bridge allowed trade from the “upper country” of Virginia to move directly to Georgetown over the Georgetown-Leesburg road. After the first two bridges were destroyed by floods, a chain suspension bridge, considered a marvel of engineering with a span of 128 feet between stone towers, was built in 1808. Although this bridge has been replaced by other forms of construction, the popular name Chain Bridge continues to be used. The present bridge was built following the flood of 1936. http://www.arlingtonhistoricalsociety.org/learn/sites_properties/commercial.html#chain_bridge

<b>WALKER CHAPEL AND CEMETERY

</b>4102 North Glebe Road

A small frame country church of the Mount Olivet Circuit, was dedicated at this location on July 18,1876. It was named in honor of the Walker family who donated the Walker Grave Yard as a site for the church. A new frame church was built nearby in 1903 although the original chapel structure continued in use as a Sunday School until its demolition in 1930. The present building dates from 1959. The earliest recorded burial in the adjacent cemetery was that of David Walker, who died in 1848. http://www.arlingtonhistoricalsociety.org/learn/sites_properties/places_of_worship.html#walker_chapel

<b>MT. OLIVET METHODIST CHURCH

</b>North 16th Street near North Glebe Road

This is Arlington’s oldest church site in continuous use. Land for a Methodist Protestant Meeting House was conveyed in 1855 by William and Ann Marcey and John B. and Cornetia Brown, for whom Brown’s Bend Road (now 16th Street, North) was named. The first church was completed in 1860. During the Civil War Union Troops used the church as a hospital and subsequently destroyed it. The present structure, erected in 1948-1 949, is the fourth church on the site. Among those buried in the Mount Olivet cemetery is Sue Landon Vaughan, one of the founders of Decoration Day (now Memorial Day). In Mississippi during April 1865, she began the practice of decorating the graves of Civil War dead, both Confederate and Union. http://www.arlingtonhistoricalsociety.org/learn/sites_properties/places_of_worship.html#mtolivet

<b>ARLINGTON MEMORIAL AND ARLINGTON HOUSE

</b>Arlington House was the home of Robert E. Lee and his family for 30 years and is associated with the Washington and Custis families. George Washington Parke Custis built the house to be his home and a memorial to George Washington, his step-grandfather. It is now preserved as a memorial to General Lee, who gained the respect of Americans in both the North and the South. Located just across Memorial Bridge from the Lincoln Memorial. Arlington House is open to visitors every day from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with the exception of Jan. 1 and Dec. 25. http://www.nps.gov/arho/

<b>ARLINGTON MEMORIAL BRIDGE AND MEMORIAL AVENUE

</b>Symbolically, the bridge was designed to show the strength of a united nation by joining memorials representing the Union (the Lincoln Memorial) and the Confederacy (the Robert E. Lee Memorial). The bridge spans the Potomac River, a physical and symbolic divider of the “North” and the “South” during the Civil War. Arlington Memorial Bridge also connects the Nation’s Capital, where the country’s democratic processes takes place, to Arlington National Cemetery, where thousands who died fighting to preserve democratic processes lay in eternal rest. http://www.nps.gov/gwmp/memorialave.htm

<b>BRANDYMORE CASTLE

</b>This rocky outcrop resembles the collapsed battlements of an old castle with Four Mile Run serving as a moat. Located at North Roosevelt Street & Four Mile Run. This landmark was first described in 1724 by surveyor Charles Broadwater as "the rock stones called Brandymore Castle." Research in 1972 established that the natural formation matched the boundary descriptions on the 18th century land grants from Lord Fairfax to William Gunnel, James Going and Simon Pearson, George Harrison, John Carlye and John Dalton, and Captain Charles Broadwater. http://www.arlingtonhistoricalsociety.org/learn/sites_properties/neighborhood.html#ashton_heights

<b>BALL-CARLN CEMETERY

</b>300 South Kensington Street

Here between 1766 and 1908 were buried members of the Ball and Carlin families. In 1742 John Ball was granted 166 acres in this area and in 1748 his brother Moses Ball was granted 91 adjoining acres. They were cousins of George Washington who acquired an adjoining tract along Four Mile Run in 1785. After John Ball’s death in 1766, his estate was sold to William Carlin who was one of Washington’s tailors. Fragments of the original Ball-Carlin log house are within the walls of the house at 5620 3rd Street South. About 1800 Carlin built a log house that still stands at 5512 North Carlin Springs Road. In present Glencarlyn Park his descendants operated “Carlin Springs,” a popular resort during 1872-1884. http://www.arlingtonhistoricalsociety.org/learn/sites_properties/cemeteries.html

<b>MARY CARLIN HOUSE

</b>5512 North Carlin Springs Road

This home incorporates the original log house built about 1800 by William Carlin. It is one of the earliest structures remaining in Arlington. At one time, Carlin had been a tailor in Alexandria whose clients included George Washington. Mr. Carlin’s granddaughter, Mary Alexander Carlin, a school teacher, was born in this house and lived here until her death in 1905. Hers was the last burial in the Ball-Carlin Cemetery adjacent to the Glencarlyn Library.

http://www.arlingtonhistoricalsociety.org/learn/sites_properties/dwellings.html#mary_carlin

<b>FORT ETHAN ALLEN

</b>3829 North Stafford Street

This embankment was the south face of Fort Ethan Allen, a bàstioned earthwork built in September 1861, to command all the approaches to Chain Bridge south of Pimmit Run. The fort had a perimeter of 736 yards, with emplacements for 39 guns. The embankments which still remain were the south face, less the west bastion; an interior bombproof shelter for protection against artillery fire from Hall’s Hill; the magazine and guardhouse near the north face; and a part of the east face.

<b>FORT C. F. SMITH HISTORIC DISTRICT

</b>Near 2411 North 24th Street

Just to the north are the remains of Fort C. F. Smith, a lunette built early in 1863 to command the high ground north of Spout Run and protect the flank of the Arlington Line. It had a perimeter of 368 yards and emplacements for 22 guns.

This district is a designated Arlington County Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. http://www.arlingtonhistoricalsociety.org/learn/sites_properties/military_use.html#ftcfsmith

<b>COLONIAL VILLAGE

</b>Roughly bounded by Wilson Boulevard, Lee Highway, North Veitch Street, and Queens Lane. This neighborhood is a designated Arlington County Landmark and is on the National Register of Historic Places. http://www.arlingtonhistoricalsociety.org/learn/sites_properties/neighborhood.html#ashton_heights