<cal1>Now Through Oct. 23
<cal2>"Cowardly Christopher Finds His Courage." Saturday and Sunday at 11 a.m. Extra show on Oct. 23 at 1:30 p.m. Poor Christopher is anything but courageous, but that all changes when he embarks on a world-wide adventure to find his courage. Synetic Family Theatre returns to its roots with its newest comedic, musical pantomime journey, which first premiered at Wolf Trap. Suitable for all ages. At Synetic Family Theatre, 4041 Campbell Ave., Arlington. Call 703-824-8060. Visit www.classika.org.
<cal1>Now Through Oct. 23
<cal2>"Cabaret." Oct. 22, 23. Fridays and Saturday at 8 p.m.; Sunday at 2:30 p.m. Presented by the Arlington Players. Directed by Malcolm Edwards; music direction by Brock Holmes; and choreographed by Jeremy McShan. Tickets are $20/adults; $15/seniors and juniors. At Thomas Jefferson Community Center, 125 S. Old Glebe Road, Arlington. Visit www.thearlingtonplayers.org.
<cal1>Now Through Oct. 31
<cal2>"King Arthur." Wordless, and on a water stage. Adapted by Paata Tsikurishvili and Ben Cunis. Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m.; Thursdays through Saturdays at 8 p.m.; Sundays at 2 p.m. Tickets: $40 – $50, Splash Zone $40 – $45 (first two rows – Rows C and D). At Synetic Theatre, Crystal City, 1800 South Bell St., Arlington. Box Office: 800-494-8497 or www.synetictheater.org.
<cal1>Now Through Nov. 14
<cal2>"A Fox on the Fairway."
Single tickets are $50 to $76 and are available by calling Ticketmaster at 703-573-SEAT (7328) or visiting www.signature-theatre.org. Show times are Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m., Thursdays and Fridays at 8 p.m., Saturdays at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., and Sundays at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. At Signature Theater in Arlington. Visit www.signature-theatre.org.
<cal1>Oct. 23 to Nov. 13
<cal2>"The Visit." Wednesdays through Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 3 p.m. Tickets are $17 to $20. Directed by William D. Parker; produced by Heather Franklin and Mary Ayala-Bush. At the Little Theatre of Alexandria, 600 Wolfe Street, Alexandria. Call 703-683-0496.
<cal1>Oct. 26 Through Dec. 26
<cal2>"Walter Cronkite Is Dead." Written and Directed by Joe Calarco. Tickets are $50 to $76 and are available by calling Ticketmaster at 703-573-SEAT (7328) or visiting www.signature-theatre.org. Show times are Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m., Thursdays and Fridays at 8 p.m., Saturdays at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., and Sundays at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. There are no performances on Saturday, Oct. 30 at 2 p.m., Tuesday, Nov. 2, or Thursday, Nov. 25. There is an added performance Friday, Nov. 26 at 2 p.m. At Signature Theater in Arlington.
<cal2>"One Night With Fanny Brice." Show times are Thursday through Saturday evenings at 8 p.m. and Saturday/Sunday matinees at 2:30 p.m. Tickets can be ordered online at www.americancentury.org or
by calling 703-998-4555. At the Rosslyn Spectrum, 1611 N. Kent Street, Arlington.
<cal1>Nov. 5 Through Nov. 21
<cal2>"Rashomon." Adapted by Fay and Michael Kanin, Rashomon is a classical Japanese story of a crime as seen from the differing perspectives of the people who were there. Presented by Port City Playhouse. Tickets are $18/general; $16/seniors and students; $14/groups of 10-plus. Performances on Friday, Nov. 5; Saturday, Nov. 6; Friday and Saturday, Nov. 12-13 and 19-20; Tuesday, Nov. 16; and Sunday, Nov. 14 and 21. The Friday, Saturday and Tuesday shows begin at 8 p.m., and the Sunday matinees begin at 3 p.m. At the Lab at Convergence, 1819 North Quaker Lane, Alexandria (corner of Crestwood Drive and Quaker Lane). For tickets, call 703-838-2880 or visit www.PortCityPlayhouse.com.
<cal1>Dec. 7 Through Feb. 13, 2011
<cal2>"Sunset Boulevard." Show times are Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m., Thursdays and Fridays at 8 p.m., Saturdays at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., and Sundays at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tickets are now on sale. Tickets range in price from $59 - $85 and are available by calling Ticketmaster at 703-573-SEAT (7328) or visiting www.signature-theatre.org. At Signature Theater in Arlington.
The 2010–2011 American Century Theater season is a year-long adventure encountering spacemen, demons, lovers, ambitious actresses, and vaudeville memories. The schedule:
* Sept. 17–Oct. 16, 2010 — "The Tenth Man" by Paddy Chayefsky
* Nov. 5–27, 2010 — "One Night with Fanny Brice." Book by Chip Deffaa, songs by many
* Jan. 14–Feb. 12, 2011 — "Beyond the Horizon" by Eugene O’Neill
* April 8–May 7, 2011 — "Stage Door" by Edna Ferber and George S. Kaufman
* July 8–Aug. 6, 2011 — "Visit to a Small Planet" by Gore Vidal
The American Century Theater performs at Theatre II, Gunston Arts Center, 2700 S. Lang Street, Arlington. This season, "One Night With Fanny Brice" will be performed at the Rosslyn Spectrum Theatre, 1611 North Kent Street, Arlington. Subscription season packages are available. Friday or Saturday evening ticket subscriptions are $150 each ($175 value).
Thursday evening or weekend matinee subscriptions are $130 each ($150 value).
More information is available at www.AmericanCentury.org, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling the theater at 703-998-4555.
The Keegan Theatre of Arlington will be the full-time resident company at Church Street Theater in the District, beginning with its 2009-2010 season. Church Street Theater is located at 1742 Church Street, NW, Washington, D.C., has been a partial home to Keegan for many years.
The Keegan Theatre 2010-2011 Season includes:
* October 2010 — "Fool for Love" by Sam Shepard
* November-December 2010 — "Golden Boy" by Clifford Odets
* January 2011 — "A Shadow of Honor by Peter Coy
* February-March 2011 — "Parade" by Alfred Uhry and Jason Robert Brown
* April-May 2011 — "Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck, adaptation by Frank Galati
* April-May 2011 — "Basra Boy" by Rosemary Jenkins
* June 2011 — "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" by Rachel Sheinkin and William Finn
* July-August 2011 — "Steel Magnolias" by Robert Harling
Signature Theatre Announces its 2010-2011 Season
Subscription packages are now on sale by calling Signature’s Box Office at 703-820-9771. Signature Theatre is located at 4200 Campbell Avenue (22206) off I-395 at the Shirlington exit in Arlington. Ticketmaster (703) 573-SEAT (7328).
* Aug. 10-Oct. 3, 2010 — "CHESS." From the composers of Mamma Mia! and the lyricist of Evita, The Lion King, and Jesus Christ Superstar.
* Oct. 12-Nov. 14, 2010 — "A Fox on the Fairway." A New Comedy by Ken Ludwig.
* Oct. 26-Dec. 26, 2010 — "Walter Cronkite is Dead. Written and Directed by Joe Calarco.
* Dec. 7, 2010-Feb. 13, 2011 — "Sunset Boulevard." Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Based on the Billy Wilder film.
* March 15-April 10, 2011 — "Wheatley’s Folley." Book by Michael Slade. Music by Joseph Thalken.
* March 29-May 22, 2011 — "Art." By Yasmina Reza. Translated by Christopher Hampton.
* April 26-June 12 — "Side by Side by Sondheim." Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.
Signature’s 2010-11 Cabaret Performances
* Dec. 20-23, 2010 — Annual Holiday Cabaret.
* Jan. 11-15, 2011 — Julia Nixon.
* Feb. 22-26, 2011 — Katie Thompson.
* June 7-11, 2011 — Broadway Duets.
Arena Stage at the Mead Center for American Theater: 2010-11 Season
Subscription packages are now on sale and may be purchased by calling the Arena Stage Sales Office at 202-488-3300 or by visiting www.arenastage.org.
* Oct. 23-Dec. 26, 2010 — "Oklahoma!" Music by Richard Rodgers / Book and Lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II.
* Nov. 9, 2010-Jan. 2, 2011 — "Every Tongue Confess."
* Dec. 31, 2010-Feb. 13, 2011 — "Let Me Down Easy." Conceived, written and performed by Anna Deavere Smith.
* Jan. 17-30, 2011 — The NEA New Play Development Program Festival. These readings will take place in the Kogod Cradle.
Jan. 14-Feb. 20, 2011 — "The Arabian Nights." Written and directed by Mary Zimmerman.
The Edward Albee Festival — all 30 of Edward Albee’s works will either receive a full production or a public reading, utilizing every performance space within the Mead Center.
* Feb. 25-April 24, 2011 — "Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" by the Steppenwolf Theatre Company.
* Feb. 18-April 17, 2011 — "At Home at the Zoo."
* April 22-June 5, 2011 — "Ruined." By Lynn Nottage.
* May 6-June 19, 2011 — "A Time to Kill." Adapted by Rupert Holmes / Based upon the novel by John Grisham.
Synetic Theater Announces its 2010-2011 Main Stage Season
* Sept. 30-Oct. 31, 2010 — "King Arthur." Directed by Paata Tsikurishvili. Choreographed by Irina Tsikurishvili. Crystal City, Arlington.
* Nov. 11-Dec. 12, 2010 — "The Master and Margarita." Landsburgh Theatre, DC
* March 24-April 24, 2011 — "King Lear." Directed by Paata Tsikurishvili. Choreographed by Irina Tsikurishvili. Landsburgh Theatre, DC
∑ June 2-July 3, 2011 — "Don Quixote." Directed by Paata Tsikurishvili. Choreographed by Irina Tsikurishvili. Crystal City, Arlington.
<sh>Teatro de la Luna (2010-2011)
<bt>Productions at Gunston Arts Center - Theatre 2, 2700 S. Lang St., Arlington. Call 202-882-6227 or 703-548-3092.
Showtimes/Tickets: -Thursdays 8 p.m. and Saturday matinees 3 p.m.: $25 regular; $20 students/seniors; Fridays and Saturdays 8 p.m.: $30 regular; $25 students/seniors
* Discounts available for groups of 10+ * Friday post-performance discussions with special guest hosts and artists
* English translation for all shows by headphones or surtitles * Childcare available for Saturday matinees with reservation 24 hrs ahead
* Ample free parking * Wheelchair accessible *
* 13th International Festival of Hispanic Theater, Oct. 19-Nov. 27, 2010.
* Del Uruguay con Humor (From Uruguay with Laughter), March 3-26, 2011
* Baño de Damas (Ladies Room) May 19-June 11, 2011 (Area Première)
* Children’s Theater Festival, Jan. 15 & Feb. 19, 2011 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
At Rosslyn Spectrum Theatre, 1611 N. Kent St., Arlington, VA. Tickets: $10; Free for children under 4.
* Children's Bilingual Theater: Gotas de Agua (Drops of Water) - Season Premiere; The Cat and the Seagull (El Gato y la Gaviota); Hansel and Gretel, The Box of Surprises (La Caja de Sorpresas) in repertory as part of our Traveling Theater.
* 11th Young People's Poetry Marathon in Spanish – Free.
--elementary schools: Wednesday, Dec. 8, 2010 10 a.m. - 12 noon
--middle and high schools: Thursday, Dec. 9, 2010 10 a.m. - 12 noon
Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library, 901 G St., NW, Washington, D.C.
--elementary schools: Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011 10 a.m. - 12 noon
Rosslyn Spectrum Theatre, 1611 N. Kent St., Arlington, VA.
* 19th Poetry Marathon, "The Pen and the Word" (La Pluma y la Palabra), April 22 & 23, 2011 - 2 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Casa de la Luna, 4020 Georgia Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. Entrance free; cash bar, light refreshments, book sales.
* Workshops for Actors at Casa de la Luna, 4020 Georgia Ave., NW, Washington, D.C.
* From Uruguay With Laughter "The Kings of Comedy," March 3-12. Uruguay’s two best known comedians will fill the month of March with laughter. Graciela Rodríguez will join us from March 3 – 12 in How to Avoid Falling in Love with the Wrong Man and Petru Valenski in The 3 Rascals from the 17th – 26th. Shows will be Thursday, Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m. with a Saturday matinee at 3 p.m.