Program begins Monday
Sign-ups for the 2013 Alexandria Summer Crew Program will be held Saturday, June 22 from 8-10 a.m. at the Dee Campbell Boathouse at 1 Madison Street in Old Town.
The program is open to youth and adult novice rowers who want to improve their skills and learn more about the sport. Students from all area schools are welcome to participate. Sessions begin on Monday, June 24, and run for five weeks. The program concludes on Saturday, Aug. 3, with the Blue Plains Sprints, an annual regatta that pits the summer rowers against each other and their coaches in a series of races and marks the official end of the summer rowing season.
This year’s programs include:
- Youth Novice Sweep — novice sweep, which means one oar per rower, is a learn-to-row program for students in the 8th through 12th grades. No experience needed. Rowers are grouped by age and ability, and learn the basics of rowing in 8-person shells. Sessions are held from 7-8:45 a.m., Monday-Friday. Fee is $175.
- Youth Intermediate Sweep — intermediate sweep focuses on building rowing skills and technique, as well as strength and endurance. For rising 9th graders with one competitive season of rowing under their belt. Sessions are held from 7–8:45 a.m., Monday-Friday. Fee is $175.
- Youth Sculling — youth sculling, where each rower uses two oars, is for high school students with two competitive spring seasons of rowing and experience sculling or in a varsity-level 8 or 4. Scullers will row in quads, doubles and singles. Sessions are held from 6:45-8:30 a.m., Monday-Friday. Fee is $200.
- Adult Novice Sweep: Session 1 — For adults of all ages who want to learn the basics and the beauty of rowing; no experience needed. Sessions are held from 6-7:30 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Fee is $250.
- Adult Novice Sweep: Session 2 — For adults of all ages who want to learn the basics and the beauty of rowing; no experience needed. Sessions are held from 6–7:30 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday, and 7-8:30 a.m. Saturday. Fee is $250.
All participants in the Summer Crew program must register in person, submit a signed waiver form, and certify or pass a swim test, which will be held at 1 p.m. on Saturday at the Old Town Pool. Registration forms can be found at http://www.tcwcrew.org/programs/summercrew.html.
The Summer Crew Program is sponsored by the Alexandria Crew Boosters. Additional questions about the program can be sent to Summer Crew Director Lexye Hearding at email@example.com..