Neighbor Saves Two Teenagers from Fire

Neighbor Saves Two Teenagers from Fire

Family displaced; house fire causes $600,000 in damage.

A neighbor’s efforts saved the lives of two teeangers on Willow Green Court, Monday afternoon, Feb. 25, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue reports.

“The teens inside narrowly escaped the blaze,” according to Assistant Chief Scott Graham.

Firefighters were dispatched shortly after 4 p.m. for the report of a house fire on the 12400 block of Willow Green Court. First arriving units described “heavy fire and smoke conditions and requested additional resources,” according to fire and rescue reports.

Approximately 80 fire and rescue personnel assisted putting out the fire, which caused more than $600,000 in damages to the house.

OFFICIALS CREDIT the “neighbor’s quick actions” in helping the teenagers escape safely.

The neighbor was walking her dog when she smelled smoked and investigated. When she saw flames at the rear of the home, she called 911, and tied her dog to a nearby mailbox, according to fire and rescue reports.

She “began to pound on the front door of the home in an attempt to alert any occupants inside that the home was on fire,” according to reports.

Fire and Explosive Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and believe that cooking materials placed outside to cool sparked the fire.

“Bacon grease,” said Graham.

ONE FIREFIGHTER was injured and transported to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

The American Red Cross assisted the displaced family.

Due to extensive fire damage to the home, investigators were unable to determine whether the home was equipped with smoke alarms.

“Smoke alarms are one of the most important safety features to have in your home and, with many units available for under $20, they are worth every penny,” according to Graham.