There are so many quality places to visit in the Springfield District, it is hard to pick five. Here is my attempt:
- Burke Lake Park: Burke Lake Park is the most visited park in Fairfax County's Park system, and after going there you will see why. The park contains a trail that goes around the lake and is great for walking (with or without your dog), running and cycling. There is also fishing, boat rentals, camping, disc golf, mini-golf, an 18 hole golf course, a driving range, volleyball courts and a miniature train ride. There's something for everyone.
- Clifton: Clifton is a beautiful town that feels like you're a million miles from the hustle and bustle of Fairfax County. It is tucked away in the southwestern portion of the Springfield district. There are regular events such as Clifton Day, the Labor Day Car Show and the Clifton Wine Festival that attract visitors from all over Northern Virginia, but I personally like going there when it feels like I can have the whole place to myself and I can enjoy the excellent restaurants there and get a "Pat Herrity Root Beer Float" from Peterson's Ice Cream to finish the day.
- Friday Night Lights: The Springfield District has some of the best high schools both academically and athletically in the country. As a West Springfield High School alumnus there's few things I enjoy more than getting to a football game in the fall where there's a buzz in the air and a little snap of cold from the changing seasons. So cheer on your local high school team at West Springfield, Lake Braddock, Fairfax, Chantilly, South County, Robinson or Centreville (nationally ranked in 2015).
- WSHS Job Fair: On March 12, 2016, I will be hosting a job fair for teens and recent graduates at West Springfield High School. The last one I hosted was a great success with over 35 local companies looking for employees. Many students got jobs right at the job fair, and others were given opportunities to interview at a company. This is a great way to connect our youngsters with our business community, so if your child is looking for full time or part time employment mark your calendar for March 12 and sign up to my email list where I will publish more details by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. I am planning a second job fair in the western part of the district.
- The Children's Science Center Lab: The newly opened Children's Science Center Lab in Fair Oaks Mall is a fantastic museum that allows children (and their parents) to get hands on experience with STEM concepts (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math). Education is so important, and this museum which is designed for kids between 2 and 12 years old does an excellent job of challenging and shaping young minds. Be sure to stay and shop and/or eat at one of the best malls in the area.
--Supervisor Pat Herrity (R-Springfield)