Accidental Burke Townhouse Fire

Accidental Burke Townhouse Fire

Fairfax County Fire and rescue Department units responded to a townhouse fire, Saturday, Dec. 27, 2014, at approximately 10:20 a.m., in the Burke area of Fairfax County. The single-family townhouse is located at 6123 Pond Lily Court.

Firefighters encountered smoke coming from the rear of the two-story townhouse upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack and quickly extinguished the fire. The bulk of the fire was contained to the kitchen area; however, there was moderate fire extension into the second floor. Six adults and two children have been displaced. Red Cross is supporting the family. There were no working smoke alarms in the home. One occupant was transported for a non-life threatening injury and one adult was treated at the scene.

Damage is estimated at $95,000.

According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. Unattended food on the stove caused the fire.