Senior members of the South Lakes swim and dive teams were recognized before their meet against McLean High School on Friday, Jan. 6 at the Herndon Community Center.
Strong swims and a number of first-place finishes by South Lakes High School swimmers helped the Seahawks pull off a Senior Night victory against McLean High School at the Herndon Community Center Jan. 8. The girls scored 165 points to McLean’s 150, while the boys scored 161 points against McLean’s 153.
South Lakes got off to a fast start with both the boys and girls 200yd Medley Relay teams clocking Regionals-qualifying times. Ben Barbee, Michael George, Tyler Ellis, and Gianmichel D’Allessandro swam a 1:40.28, while Katie Nguyen, Megan Carney, Emily Landeryou, and Sophia Landeryou swam a 1:53.40. Other swimmers who had Regionals-qualifying times included Tyler Ellis in the 50yd freestyle, D’Allessandro in the 100yd freestyle, Jack Edgemond in the 500 freestyle, and Michael George in the 100yd breaststroke. Both girls and boys 400yd freestyle relay teams also qualified for Regionals—D’Allessandro, Edgemond, Hunter Ellis, and Tyler Ellis for the boys; Sophia Landeryou, Megan Carney, Anna Redican, and Emily Landeryou for the girls.
Additional highlights for South Lakes included:
• A sweep of the 50yd Freestyle event for the boys with first- through fourth-place finishes for T. Ellis (first), Edgemond (second), Benjamin Gryski (third), and James Crosby (fourth).
• A first place for diver Emma Bulger.
• First place finishes in the 100yd butterfly for Hunter Ellis and Emily Landeryou.
• A first place finish in the 100yd freestyle for Caitlyn King and a one-two finish in the boys 100yd freestyle for D’Alessandro and Gryski.
• A one-two finish in the 500yd freestyle for both the boys and girls teams; Edgemond (first) and Barbee for the boys and Hannah Lane (first) and Rachel Mietlicki for the girls.
• First place finish in the girls 200yd freestyle relay for A. Redican, Katie Nguyen, Natalie Pritz, and King.
With only two regular season meets remaining, the Seahawks already have a strong showing of swimmers who have qualified for regional or state cuts. In addition to those mentioned, additional Regionals qualifiers include Edgemond, A. Redican, and E. Landeryou in the 200 freestyle; T. Ellis, George, Edgemond, and Gryski in the 200yd Individual Medley; Katie Nguyen, S. Landeryou, D’Allessandro in the 50yd freestyle; T. Ellis in the 100yd freestyle; Gryski in the 100yd breaststroke; and Edgemond in the 100yd butterfly.
State qualifiers include Tyler Ellis in the 100yd butterfly and Ellis, George, and D’Allessandro in the 100yd breaststroke.
South Lakes swimmers and divers face Langley High School this Friday, January 13, at Spring Hill RECenter at 6:30 p.m. and will swim their final meet of the season on Wednesday, January 18 against Washington & Lee.