On Sunday, March 12, at approximately 6:40 p.m., units from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue and the City of Fairfax Fire Department were dispatched for a reported house fire in the 9300 block of Tovito Drive in Fairfax County.
Units from Fire Station 23, West Annandale, arrived first on scene and found smoke showing from the rear of a two-level single family home. Firefighters found fire in the basement. The fire was quickly contained and extinguished. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries reported.
The home was occupied by four adults at the time of the fire. The house had working smoke alarms, however the fire was discovered by an occupant prior to their activation. One of the occupants then called 911. All occupants safely evacuated the house prior to the arrival of fire department units.
Fire Investigators determined that the fire originated in a second floor brick fireplace that was in use at the time of the fire. The fire was ruled accidental in nature. The cause was a compromised mortar joint that caused the wooden support beams directly underneath the fireplace to ignite.
A total of four occupants were displaced as a result of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered and declined. Damages are estimated to be approximately $25,000, according to Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department press release.