Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in the kitchen area.
Photo courtesy of Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
On Friday, March 15, at 7:20 a.m., units from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue and the City of Alexandria Fire Department were dispatched for a reported garden apartment fire in the 7000 block of Rhoden Court in the Springfield area of Fairfax County.
Units arrived on scene of a three-story, garden apartment to find smoke showing from the rear of the building. Crews quickly located a fire in a top floor apartment that extended into the attic. A second alarm was requested. The fire was rapidly contained to the apartment of origin and the attic space above. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.
There were thirty-five occupants in the building at the time of the fire. The fire was discovered when a resident returned home and saw smoke near his apartment door. The resident also reported hearing a smoke alarm sounding when he opened the door. He then activated a manual pull station to sound the local fire alarm that alerted the remaining occupants of the fire. All residents safely evacuated.
Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in the kitchen area. The fire was caused by an electrical event in a teapot that then ignited nearby ordinary combustibles.
Thirty-five occupants were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered and accepted. Damages as a result of the fire are approximately $181,250.