Back to gallery

Tour of the Area

Photo detail

St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Fairfax Station, dedicated Sept. 19, 1858. Shortly after the dedication, Northern Virginia was ravaged by the Civil War, resulting in the church being requisitioned as a shelter for the wounded. Here under the direction of Clara Barton, the idea of the Red Cross was developed.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment