Wood Stove Causes Fire in Clifton

Wood Stove Causes Fire in Clifton

Some 40 firefighters from five different stations responded, late Tuesday night, to a fire in a single-family home on Clifton. It was at 7211 Main Street, and fire officials say it began in a wood stove.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department spokesman Lorenzo Thrower said the fire was limited to the stove, but it created some heavy smoke throughout the metal-frame house. No one was injured, and the occupants escaped safely.

"Around 11:30 p.m., I heard some yelling and looked outside and saw a whole bunch of smoke," said Jennifer Chesley, who lives next door. "Firetrucks were lined up all along Main Street."

A neighbor called 911, and Thrower said fire damage was kept to a minimum; no dollar estimate of the loss was available. He said firefighters had the flames under control within 15 minutes. The wood stove was in the family room, in a recent addition to the 100-year-old house.

Responding were personnel, firetrucks and engines from the Clifton fire station, both Centreville stations and Fairfax Station, plus a rescue squad from the Fair Oaks station.