Two Years Prison for Auto Theft, etc.

Two Years Prison for Auto Theft, etc.

Identify fraud also charged.

Fairfax man convicted of stealing a Clifton couple's car and committing identity fraud was sentenced last week to two years in prison. He is Milliage Evans, 45, of 11313 Lee Highway.

Fairfax County police Det. Chad Mahoney, of the Auto Theft Section, detailed the case against him in an Aug. 2, 2003 affidavit to obtain forensic evidence from Evans' person.

HE WROTE that, during July 2003, a confidential informant told him about criminal activity at Evans' home. The person also advised Mahoney that Evans might be staying at the Fairfax address (which is someone else's home) to avoid being arrested.

On July 19, Mahoney and other detectives responded to that home, obtained consent from the owner to enter and observed a man matching the description of the one given for Evans by the informant. Mahoney spoke with Evans who, at first, wrote the detective, gave him a false name and social security number.

Upon doing a criminal check, he discovered Evans' true identity, plus the fact that he had an outstanding warrant for parole violation issued by the state probation and parole office in Richmond. Mahoney then arrested Evans on this warrant.

He also charged Evans with identity fraud which, wrote Mahoney, was a felony because Evans had been charged with this offense at least one time previously. Furthermore, during a search incident to Evans' arrest, Mahoney located an Infiniti car key on a key ring with a leather strap in Evans' pants pocket.

"[I] also noticed that Evans had an apparent recent injury on his right cheek at the time of arrest," he wrote. "Evans advised [me] that he recently got into an accident on a moped — then changed his statement to [say] he was recently beat up by individuals that were possibly related to a drug supplier, and that is how he sustained the injury."

MAHONEY WROTE that Evans told him the Infiniti key was used to start that moped. But during his investigation, the detective learned that an Infiniti I30 sedan was stolen, July 14, from Cannon Fort Drive in Clifton.

The detective then took the key he'd confiscated from Evans to a Clifton couple "who were able to positively identify [it] as the valet key to their stolen Infiniti I30," he wrote. "The leather strap on this key ring matched and snapped into a purse belonging to [the wife]." Centre View is not revealing the couple's names because they are victims.

Then on July 20, Mahoney and a Det. M. Twomey of the Criminal Investigations Bureau located and recovered the missing 1999 Infiniti I30 from a Fairfax address a short distance away from where Evans was staying.

Mahoney used the key to open the car doors and, he wrote, "During the recovery of the vehicle, [I] was also able to recover latent evidence, which appeared to be blood, from the interior of the Infiniti. The victims were able to respond to the location and advised [me] that the suspected blood collected did not belong to them and that [it] was not in the vehicle before it was stolen from their residence."

The husband also told Mahoney that several items were missing from his car as a result of its theft. One of these items was a small vacuum/shampooer that was in the trunk of the vehicle prior to it being stolen.

After obtaining a detailed description of the item from him, the detective then visited Fairfax Pawn on Lee Highway — located in the same shopping center when the car was recovered. Mahoney noted that employee Dawn Scott was able to identify a photograph of Evans.

He stated she "further advised [me] that Evans had been in the business a few days prior, attempting to pawn a vacuum/shampooer which matched the description [the victim] had given." Mahoney also wrote that, when he arrested Evans on July 19, he noticed that he had a Fairfax Pawn business card on his person.

POLICE CHARGED Evans with grand larceny, petit larceny, identity fraud and receiving stolen property. Mahoney then requested a warrant to obtain a sample of Evans' DNA to compare it with the blood collected from the stolen car. The warrant was executed and the DNA collected on Aug. 2.

Evans' court case was continued several times, but he finally appeared last Wednesday, Feb. 16, in General District Court. At that time, his grand-larceny charge was reduced to petit larceny, and Judge William Minor found Evans guilty on all counts.

For each of Evans' four charges, Minor sentenced him to 12 months behind bars, with six months suspended. He then ran the sentences consecutively for a total of two years to serve.