Smoke Alarms Alert Family to Mason Neck House Fire

Smoke Alarms Alert Family to Mason Neck House Fire

On Saturday, Oct. 5, at approximately 1:20 a.m., fire and rescue units were dispatched for a reported house fire in the 10400 block of Madison Drive in the Mason Neck area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on scene of a one-story, single family home with fire showing from the rear of the house. Crews worked quickly to extinguish a fire in the kitchen. One occupant sustained minor burns to the arm while attempting to extinguish the fire but refused transport to the hospital. No firefighter injuries were reported.

Three people were home at the time of the fire. Smoke alarms activated and alerted one occupant to the fire. All occupants safely evacuated prior to fire department arrival.

Fire Investigators determined the fire started in the kitchen and was accidental in nature. The cause of the fire was unattended cooking.

Three occupants were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered and accepted. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $118,750.

The firefighters and paramedics of the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue would like to remind all residents that working smoke alarms save lives.