Reston Apartment Fire Caused by Improperly Discarded Smoking Material

Reston Apartment Fire Caused by Improperly Discarded Smoking Material

On Friday, Feb. 10 at 1:22 a.m., units were dispatched for a reported apartment fire in the 11600 block of Stoneview Square in the Reston area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on the scene of a three-story, garden apartment style building with a visible haze on the third floor landing. Crews located a fire on the balcony of an apartment. The fire was quickly extinguished. There was no extension into the living space. There were no reported civilian or firefighter injuries.

Three occupants were home at the time of the fire. One occupant heard a loud “popping” noise coming from the kitchen area. Upon investigation, he discovered fire outside on the balcony. Two occupants attempted to extinguish the fire but were unsuccessful. A third occupant called 9-1-1.

All three occupants self-evacuated prior to the arrival of the fire department. The smoke alarm did sound, but after the fire was discovered.

Fire Investigators determined the fire was accidental in nature and started on the balcony of the apartment. The cause of the fire was an improperly discarded smoking material that spread to ordinary combustibles nearby.  

No occupants were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was not required. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $20,000.