Candle Causes Fire at Clifton Home

Candle Causes Fire at Clifton Home

Fairfax County fire officials say a house fire, early Sunday morning, caused an estimated $150,000 damage to a Clifton home. The incident occurred May 5, around 12:45 a.m., at 5597 Cavalier Woods Lane.

Upon arrival at the single-family home, firefighters encountered heavy fire and smoke coming from the first and second floor, as well as the rear of the two-story house. No one was home when the blaze began and firefighters brought it under control in about 30 minutes.

The fire displaced one adult and one child. According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental and was caused by an unattended, burning candle. As a result, fire officials offer the following candle-safety tips:

Do not place candles near combustible materials. Place candles in glass or ceramic containers on a flat, sturdy surface. Never leave children unattended in a room with an open flame candle. Do not place candles on window ledges or near entryways. The potential air draft can fan the flame, catching curtains or other materials on fire.

Keep burning candles within sight at all times. Candles can also present fire hazards outdoors on decks and patios. Always extinguish candles before leaving home. Place all candles on protected, heat-resistant, dry surfaces away from anything that can catch fire and out of the reach of children and pets.