Local Man Charged With Sexual Assaults

Local Man Charged With Sexual Assaults

Not only have Fairfax County police arrested the man they believe assaulted two Centreville women at gunpoint, but they say he's implicated himself in both crimes. He is Edward Jackson Bunn, 29, of 5836 Waterdale Court in the Centreville section of Little Rocky Run.

Charged with a slew of offenses — including two counts of abduction with intent to defile — if he is convicted of everything, he could receive more than three life terms in prison. Police arrested him Friday.

According to court documents, Bunn allegedly covered his victims' eyes and mouth with duct tape, photographed them and forced one to engage in sexual activities against her will. Police searches of his home and car yielded cameras, film, duct tape and various sexual devices.

Sex-crimes detectives Daniel Bibeault and Shawn Perkins described the assaults — one in January and one in February — in affidavits for search warrants to seek evidence in Bunn's home and car.

The first incident occurred Jan. 3, around 12:30 a.m., in the 6000 block of Sunset Ridge Court. A 32-year-old woman was upstairs in her home when she heard her front door open. She asked who was there, but got no reply. The intruder then ran upstairs toward her.

All of a sudden, she was confronted by a masked man with a handgun. Most of his face was concealed by a black mask, but it didn't cover the area around his eyes. The woman later described him as white, in his 20s, with a medium build, blond hair and deep blue eyes. He wore gloves and was dressed all in black.

She described his jacket as black with zippers and said he had a silver handgun and a black duffel bag. She told police he ordered her to turn her back to him and lay down on the floor. Then, she said, he covered her eyes and mouth with gray duct tape.

"The victim was ordered to undress and lay on her bed, where she was forced to fondle herself, perform several nude poses and pose with several pieces of underwear, given to her by the intruder," wrote Perkins. "All of these acts were accomplished against [her] will."

According to the affidavit, she told police that, during the incident, she heard her assailant taking pictures with what she described as a Polaroid camera because of its unique sound as it produces photographs. Then after he forced her to do a sexual act against her will, wrote Perkins, she began to cry and he left.

The victim ran downstairs to call police, but discovered her phone was dead. She used her cell phone, instead, and Perkins later determined that the phone line outside her house had been cut. The woman was taken to Inova Fairfax Hospital for examination.

The second incident occurred Feb. 8, around 11:30 a.m., in the 6400 block of Selby Court. There, police say a 26-year-old woman was attacked in her Crofton Commons home.

The victim answered her doorbell and saw a man whom she later described as white, 18-25 years old, 5 feet 7 inches, with a medium build and blond hair. She said he wore Oakley brand sunglasses and carried a dark-colored bag.

The man began talking to her at the entrance to her home and, when she left him to get something to write with, police say he opened the door. When the woman turned to look at him, wrote Bibeault, she saw him brandishing a handgun.

The detective wrote that the intruder ordered the woman upstairs and told her to get undressed: "He bound the victim's hands and legs with gray duct tape and plastic flexible ties. He also covered her eyes and mouth with the ... tape. [He] took pictures of the victim with a camera that she described as 'sounding like a Polaroid.'" Bibeault wrote that the man also kissed her and that everything he did was against the woman's will.

He fled on foot, and the victim underwent a sexual-assault examination at Inova Fairfax Hospital. Evidence obtained from it was analyzed at the Virginia State Forensic Laboratory and, wrote Bibeault, DNA not belonging to the victim was discovered.

Meanwhile, believing the same man committed both offenses, police created a composite sketch and passed out fliers, door-to-door, in the Compton/New Braddock roads area of Centreville. The fliers told of the incidents, contained the suspect's sketch and description and asked for help finding him.

Police later received information that the sketch resembled Bunn, who's 5 feet 7 inches, 160 pounds and has blond hair and blue eyes. Det. David Moore, also with the Sex Crimes Unit, investigated further and took DNA samples from Bunn. According to Bibeault's affidavit, the state forensic lab reportedly matched Bunn's DNA to samples taken from the February victim.

Police searches of Bunn's home and car yielded Polaroid cameras, film, photos, Oakley sunglasses, gray duct tape, cable ties, three black bags, a black mask, sexual devices and two pair of wire cutters.

Police arrested him Friday, April 19, adding more charges on Monday. Perkins wrote that, during questioning, Bunn allegedly "implicated himself" in both cases. He's charged with two counts of burglary while armed, two counts of abduction with intent to defile, one count of inanimate-object sexual penetration and two counts of possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

The abduction and sexual-penetration charges are each punishable by a maximum sentence of life in prison. Bunn is being held without bond at the Adult Detention Center, awaiting a June 11 court date. Police say he didn't know either of his victims. According to Bibeault, he was previously convicted of carrying a concealed weapon.