Aug. 28, 2002
Seniors in Action
The Arlington County Seniors in Action program offers a wide range of activities for seniors 55 and over. Fitness programs include aerobic exercise classes, strength training, walking groups, water aerobics, line dancing, square dancing, tennis, bowling, golf, yoga and Tai Chi. Seniors may join the Senior Adult Programs for $5 annually and access all activities. In some instances, an additional cost, such as $2 a class, may be necessary. Call 703-228-4744.
* Cyber Seniors/Cyber Teens is a program where young people teach seniors how to use the computer, Internet and e-mail. Each course consists of four 1-hour sessions taught at a local school or senior center. Currently there are three basic instruction courses being offered and classes in Word and Excel. Individuals over 50 are eligible to register for the classes. Call for details and for class fees at 703-228-6425.
* Senior Wellness. Kirsten Taranto, senior wellness programmer, Office of Senior Adult Programs, meets weekly with seniors at Aurora Hills and Lee senior action centers. Taranto discusses ways to access county services and programs available to seniors. She will be at Aurora Hills, 735 S. 18th St., on Mondays at 10 a.m., and at Lee, 5722 Lee Highway, on Tuesdays at 11:30 a.m. There is no fee.
* Fitness and Exercise. Seniors who belong to the county’s Office of Senior Adult Programs, Department of Parks, Recreation and Community Services, are eligible to use the fitness and exercise equipment at Thomas Jefferson Community Center, 3501 S. Second St., free of charge. Hours are Monday-Friday, from 6:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Participants pay a $5 annual registration fee, which allows them access to the fitness programs, as well as any program at senior centers countywide.
* Bridge, poker and canasta are available at Lee Senior Action Center, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Call 703-228-0555.
* Woodworking. Seniors who enjoy woodworking are invited to join a group a Lee Senior Center on Thursday, Aug. 29, at 1 p.m. here is no fee, and newcomers are welcome. Call 703-228-0555.
* Growing Wiser with Age The final session presented by senior wellness programmer, Kristen Taranto, will be held on Thursday, Aug. 29, at 1:30 p.m. at the Lee Senior Center. The topic for discussion will be “Your World-Home and Beyond.” Free. Newcomers welcome. Call 703-228-0555 to sign up.
* Senior Walkers at Dawson Terrace Senior Center will meet on Thursday, Aug. 29, at 9:30 a.m. for a fitness walk around the center. There is no fee, and newcomers are welcome. Call 703-22-6300 for details.
* Lee Walkers for seniors will walk at Meadowlark Gardens for an hour on Friday, Aug. 30, at 10 a.m. There is a fee of $2.50 for transportation to the site. Newcomers welcome. Call 703-228-0555 to register.
* Blood Pressure screenings for seniors will be held Tuesday, Sept. 3. at 9:30 a.m. at Dawson Terrace Senior Center. Free. Newcomers welcome. Call 703-228-6300 to register
* A new senior excercise class with low impact aerobic will be held Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:30 a.m, beginning Sept. 3 and 5 at Aurora Hills Senior Center. The class will be conducted by Kai Jones, fitnes instructor for the Office of Senior Adult Programs (OSAP). Free. Newcomers welcome. Pre-register by calling 703-228-5722.
* The Walking Club for Seniors, sponsored by Culpepper Garden Senior Center, will meet Thursday, Sept. 4 for a three mile walk at huntley Meadows in Fairfax. Fee is $2.50. Newcomers welcome. Call 70-228-4403 to register.
* Nutrition specialist Ana Morgan from the Cooperative Extension Service will conduct a nutrition class for seniors on Friday, Sept. 6. at 10:45 a.m. at Dawson Terrace Senior Center. Free. Newcomers Welcome. Call 703-228-6300 to sign up.
* The Animal League of Arlington will visit Dawson Terrace Senior Center with dogs and cats on Friday, Sept. 6 at 10 a.m. Seniors will have the opportunity to interact with the animals and ask questions about pet care. Newcomers welcome. Free. Call 703-228-6300.
* The Genealogy Club at Lee Senior Center will meet Wednesday, Sept. 4 at 1 p.m. Newcomers are welcome. Call 703-228-0555 to sign up.