Unity Life Center is sponsoring a Wellness Fair on Saturday, Dec. 13 from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. There will be free demonstrations on meditation, shamanic counseling, emotional freedom techniques, de-tox techniques, aromatherapy, a peace circle, and secrets of personal success and miracles. Also a variety of bodywork session, counseling, chiropractic screenings and other services will be available for a small offering. Call ULC at 703-263-7645, www.unitylife.org
Jubilee Christian Center will be holding its annual Christmas Holiday Dinner on Sunday, Dec. 14, at noon, following the 10:30 a.m. Worship Service. There is no charge for the dinner. Located at 4650 Shirley Gate Rd., Fairfax. Call 703-383-1170.
"The Promise Fulfilled" ... a free Christmas Concert featuring an adult choir, two handbell choirs, flutes and dulcimer will be held on Sunday, Dec. 14 at 7 p.m. at Centreville United Methodist Church. The church is located at the corner of Route 28 and New Braddock Road in Centreville. Call 703-830-2684 or visit the Web site at www.centreville-umc.org.
Learn how to transform your communication style with your children in a workshop being held Sunday, Dec. 14 at Unity Life Center in Chantilly. The workshop will be facilitated by Charles Gardner and Rita Hursh from 1-3 p.m. Unity Life Center is located at 14088-C Sullyfield Circle in Chantilly. Call 703-263-7645.
The Centreville Stake of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will host a Messiah Sing-Along on Sunday, Dec. 14, at 7 p.m. at 14150 Upperridge Road, Centreville. This event is free and open to the public. Bring your own score to sing-along, or listen and enjoy this beloved work by Handel. Led by Sue Alexander and a lead chorus from the local community, the program will be accompanied by a chamber orchestra. Soloists will include Tausha Torrez, soprano; Christine Shuart, alto; Mark Harris, tenor; and Kerry Wilkerson, bass. A reception will follow. Contact Sue Alexander for more information 703-830-5532.
Wellspring Church will celebrate the joy of unexpected gifts on Sunday, Dec. 14, at 10 a.m., at Centreville Station No. 17 on Old Centreville Rd. Pastor Jeremy McLeod will preach on "When Hope Surprises Us: Joy, Deep Joy." Worship will include candle lighting for this third Sunday in Advent. Sunday School classes for children also meet at 10 a.m., and a fellowship hour follows the worship.
Wellspring Church is progressively thoughtful, prayerful, justice-seeking, multi-racial, and open and affirming to seekers of all backgrounds. Wellspring is a new congregation of the United Church of Christ, and welcomes all to join its "circle of love for all people." Call Pastor Jeremy McLeod at 703-830-6095, or check the Web site www.wellspringucc.com.
Centreville Community Church will be holding a Christmas Eve Celebration and reception on Dec. 24 at Bull Run Elementary School. The special Christmas Eve Celebration, featuring traditional carols, will be from 7-8 p.m. Afterwards there will be a festive holiday reception featuring an assortment of desserts and hot cider. There will be something for the whole family. Childcare will be provided for children ages 3 and younger.
Centreville Community Church meets Sundays at 10:30 a.m. at Bull Run Elementary School, 15301 Lee Highway (at the intersection of Route 29 and Pleasant Valley Road in Centreville). An exciting children's program and nursery are provided during Sunday services. Call 703-580-5226 or visit the Web site at www.centrevillechurch.com.
Sponsor a homeless or refugee family for Christmas. Lutheran Social Services, NOVACO program for Homeless Victims of Domestic Abuse and Lutheran Refugee and Immigrant Services needs families, organizations or businesses to sponsor one of the families for Christmas. Gifts, groceries and/or gift certificates will make the difference to a child here in Northern Virginia. For NOVACO families, call 703-273-0303, ext. 55; for Refugee Families, call 703-698-5026, ext. 117.
<lst>News from Clifton Presbyterian Church
Worship Services. Sundays: 8:30 and 11 a.m. Childcare available.
Advent Adult Education Class — A video/discussion series titled: "The Light Will Shine." All adults are welcome.
Youth Groups Provide Christmas Party for SERVE shelter in Manassas 1:30-5 p.m.
Annual Christmas Party Dec. 14.
No Sunday School Dec. 28 or Jan. 2
Joint Group meeting Jan. 11 from 5:30-7 p.m.
Contact Pastor Julie for details at 703-830-3175.
Christmas Eve Services:
Family Candlelight Services at 4 p.m. with Handbell Choir; 6 p.m. with Children's Choir.
Nursery available for infants thru 5's.
Candlelight Service 8 p.m. with Sanctuary Choir
Candlelight Service with Communion 10 p.m. with Sanctuary Choir
Wellspring Church invites anyone who has no home or family nearby to join in a hearty Christmas soup supper on Christmas afternoon, from 3-6 p.m., at Centreville Fire Station No. 17 on Old Centreville Road. Volunteers are needed, including servers and musicians, to reach out to the Western Fairfax – Prince William community. Financial donations are also welcome. Give a Christmas gift of hospitality to those without family nearby. Call Wellspring Church Pastor Jeremy McLeod (703-830-0695) or e-mail WellspringUCC@aol.com if you can help.
<lst>Centreville United Methodist Church will host the following holiday events:
* Sunday, Dec. 14 — "The Promise Fulfilled" — an evening of Christmas music presented by the Chancel Choir, Good News Ringers, guest instrumentalists and Jubilation. The program begins at 7 p.m.
* Wednesday, Dec. 17 — Carol singing and pizza starting at 5:30 p.m.
* Saturday, Dec. 20 — Assembling food baskets begins at 8 a.m. Bring a canned food item or a non-perishable food.
* Wednesday, Dec. 24 — Christmas Eve. Services for children and families will be at 5 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Candlelight Communion services will be at 8:30 p.m. and 11 p.m.
Sunday morning services are at 8:15 a.m., 9:30 and 11 a.m. There is also Sunday School for children, youth and adults at 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m.
Centreville Presbyterian Church (CPC) invites the public to participate in its Christmas special events.
* Christmas Progressive Dinner, Saturday, Dec. 13, from 5-9 p.m. Eat dinner at area homes, then gather at church for dessert and party.
* Childrens' Christmas Pageant, Sunday, Dec. 14, at 10 a.m.
* Christmas Extravaganza Musical, Sunday, Dec. 14, at 6:30 p.m. Refreshments follow.
* "Happy Birthday, Jesus, Party," Dec. 21, at 10 a.m.
* Advent Sunday Services — 8:30 a.m. and 11:15 a.m.
* Christmas Eve Services — Wednesday, Dec. 24 at 5:30 p.m., A Christmas Eve for Children; 7:30 p.m., "Extreme" Christmas; 10 p.m., Candlelight and Communion Service.
For more information, call CPC at 703-830-0098. CPC is located at 5690 Sully Road (on Route 28, just south of I-66).
Holiday Sermon Series, "Awesome Emmanuel," at Jubilee Christian Center. Pastor Bill Frasnelli will be preaching a holiday sermon series, "Awesome Emmanuel," through Dec. 28, at Jubilee Christian Center, located at 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. Call 703-383-1170.
A Christmas Cantata, "Another Glory," will be presented at Jubilee Christian Center on Sunday, Dec. 21, 6:30 p.m. The Christmas Choir, directed by Steve Price, includes adults and children singing songs of Christmas. Located at 4650 Shirley Gate Rd., Fairfax. No charge. Call 703-383-1170. Free refreshments will follow.
A Christmas Eve Service will be held at Jubilee Christian Center on Wednesday, Dec. 24, at 7:30 p.m. Free refreshments will follow. Located at 4650 Shirley Gate Rd., Fairfax. Call 703-383-1170.
Centreville Presbyterian Church:
* Fall Sunday School Classes for Children, Teens and Adults — Sundays, 10-11 a.m. Adult classes: Isaiah, The Practice of Godliness, Marriage and Family Life.
* Seven Small Groups — Meet in area homes for fellowship and spiritual growth.
* Music — Chancel choir rehearses Wednesdays, 7:15 p.m. Contemporary Music Worship Team rehearses Thursdays, 7:30 p.m. Newcomers are welcomed to participate.
Call CPC at 703-830-0098. CPC is located at 5690 Sully Road, Centreville, at the I-66 and Route 28 interchange.
The Youth Worship Services for Lord of Life Lutheran Church will be held at 5114 Twinbrook Road in Fairfax on the following dates: Dec. 21, Jan. 18, 2004, Feb. 29, Mar. 21, and Apr. 18.
The church is located at 5114 Twinbrook Road, Fairfax. Contact Lord of Life Lutheran Church at 703-323-9500.
Temple Beth Torah is a Reform Jewish congregation and member of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations (UAHC) that meets at St. John's Episcopal Church in Centreville. The congregation offers the Northern Virginia Jewish community services that provide numerous spiritual, educational, support and social opportunities including religious school for member children age 3 through Bar/Bat Mitzvah and confirmation. The congregation welcomes all members of the community to attend any services or events. Call 703-263-2252 or visit www.BethTorah.net.
* Saturday, Dec. 13 at 7 p.m. — Havdalah service. Join Rabbi Block and Cantor Marsh for a Havdalah service in the chapel.
* Sunday, Dec. 14 from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. — Religious School; 10:45 a.m. — Brotherhood meeting. Come join us at the Bagel Bar. Contact Jonathan Watson at 703-968-5973.
* Friday, Dec. 19 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. — Family Hanukkah dinner. 7:30 p.m. — Shabbat service. Join Rabbi Block and Cantor Marsh for a Shabbat service in the chapel.
* Saturday, Dec. 20 — 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. — Join Rabbi Block for a Tot Shabbat service.
Congregation Yad Shalom is a conservative synagogue located in Centreville. It provides many programs which offer the experience of a Jewish lifestyle in a traditional format.
* Take a hayride and join in the campfire celebration on Sunday, Dec. 14 at 2:30 p.m.
* Join in a special Chanukah service with the Cantor on Saturday, Dec. 20 at 10 a.m. at Little Rocky Run Community Center # 3. Lunch will be served following the service.
* Celebrate the new year with a Friday night Shabbat service with the Cantor on Jan. 9, 2004 at 8 p.m. at Little Rocky Run Community Center #3.
* Sign up now for K-2 Hebrew school for the children.
Call Mike Goldenzweig at 703-753-3314, or visit the Web site at www.yadshalom.org.
Fitness with a Twist… Workout to the latest contemporary Christian music. Body & Soul is a high/low-impact aerobics class that includes strength training, Pilates, kickboxing, and more. Childcare and a home school room for Monday morning class is available.
Classes are held at Centreville Baptist Church on Route 29 just south of Stone Road. Class times are 9:30 to 11 a.m. Monday mornings, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays evenings, and 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. on Saturday mornings. Contact Melissa Ellison at 703-369-4636 or CBC Women’s Ministry at 703-830-3333.
St. John's Episcopal Church offers the following:
Sunday Eucharist services are at 8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. A nursery for children up to age 3 is available. Opportunities for adult, youth and child enrichment are offered. On Sundays: Christian Formation for all ages, Adult Lectionary Class and Newcomer Class at 9:15 a.m.; Children's Chapel at 10:30 a.m.; Youth Music and Youth Group at 4:15 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., respectively. On Mondays: New Testament Class at 7:30 p.m. On Wednesdays: Morning Bible Study at 10 a.m.; Eucharist and Healing Service at 9:15 a.m. on Thursdays: Children's Choir at 5 p.m.; Adult Choir and Education for Ministry at 7:30 p.m. Call 703-803-7500 or visit the Web site at www.stjohnscentreville.org.
Mount Olive Baptist Church:
* Church services: Rev. Eugene Johnson, pastor
* Prayer meeting/Bible study — Wednesday, 7 p.m.
* Sunday morning worship — 7:30 and 10:30 a.m.
* Sunday school — 9:45 a.m.
Mount Olive Baptist Church is located at 6600 Old Centreville Road, Centreville. Call 703-830-8769.
Cedar Run Community Church is offering a series on "Simple Truths that Transform." Cedar Run is a non-denominational Christian church that is all about families, fun and faith. It meets for Sunday service at 10:30 a.m. at Waples Mill Elementary off Waples Mill Road in the Fair Oaks area. There's a high-quality Promiseland children's ministry for newborns through sixth graders and there's a dynamic, safe place for teenagers at the student ministry that meets during the Sunday service as well. Call 703-968-7312 or check the Web site at www.cedarrun.net.
* New Women's small group starting on Wednesdays at 8 p.m. at the Starbucks at Sully Station in Centreville. Contact Briana Dintino at 703-818-1741.
Capital Worship Center will hold weekly Bible study and worship services on Wednesday nights at 7:30 p.m. at Centre Ridge Elementary School, 14400 New Braddock Road, Centreville. Also offered at this time will be youth services, children's fellowship and a nursery. Call 703-530-8100.
Cedar Run Community Church's Sunday service is held at 10:30 a.m. at Waples Mill Elementary School. New Community monthly worship service is held on the third Sunday of every month from 5-7:15 p.m. at Centreville Presbyterian Church. Free pizza dinner starting at 5 p.m. Childcare provided. Interested in learning about Cedar Run? Visit the Web site at www.cedarrun.net or call the church office at 703-968-7312.
Christ the Redeemer Episcopal Church holds a contemporary worship service on Sunday mornings at 10 a.m. at Centreville Elementary School in Centreville. Sunday school and a nursery are provided on Sundays. The Web site is www.connectwithctr.com. Call 703-502-1732.
Mount Horeb A.M.E. Mission Church invites the public to worship on Sunday mornings at 11 a.m. at Virginia Run Elementary School, 15450 Martins Hundred Drive in Centreville. The Rev. Larry C. Rogers is the pastor. Call 703-330-2109.
New Hope Fellowship currently meets at 10 a.m. at Rocky Run Middle School with worship at 11 a.m. each Sunday. The school is located at 4400 Stringfellow Road, Chantilly. Call 703-591-2948.
Body & Soul Aerobics and Strength Training Classes is a fitness program choreographed to today's Christian music, and it offers great fellowship with other women. Classes are currently held at Centreville Baptist Church on Route 29 just south of Stone Road. Class times are Monday and Thursday, 7-8:15 p.m., Monday morning, 9:30-11 a.m., and Saturday morning, 8-9:30 a.m. Call ahead for childcare at 703-830-3333.
Community Care Groups at New Life Christian Church
The following are on-going support groups which meet at Westfield High School on Sunday mornings or as indicated. Contact Community Care Minister Ron Furgerson at 703-266-0118 or email@example.com, for additional information about any of the groups:
* Food Freedom — A Celebrate Recovery Support Group. This group uses a proven Biblical approach to promote healing from compulsive eating problems. The group meets at Westfield High School at 9:30 a.m. each Sunday. Child Care is provided.
* Help for Hurts, Habits, and Hang-Ups — A Celebrate Recovery Group. This group uses the 12-step approach coupled with the teachings of Jesus to help overcome or cope with all types of addictions, compulsions, and life problems. The group meets at 9:30 a.m. each Sunday at Westfield High School. Child care is provided.
* Dealing with Divorce — A Divorce Care Support Group. This is a video-based seminar group for people who are separated or divorced. The group is a place to receive sound information about ways to heal from the hurt and to cope with the life pressures which accompany separation and divorce. The group meets at 11 a.m. each Sunday at Westfield High School. Child care is provided.
* Healthy Boundaries — Getting Control of Your Life. This group helps the over-stressed, over-worked, and over-committed to gain control of their lives through developing healthy, balanced relationships. The group meets at 7:30 p.m. each Thursday at 13777 Laurel Rock Drive; Clifton.
* Men's Issues — A support group for guys dealing with the unique issues men face in their jobs, personal lives, and relationships. The group meets at 7:30 p.m. each Monday at 4401 Shari Court in Catharpin.
The Purpose Driven Life. Centreville Community Church is examining one of the New York Times' best-selling books, "The Purpose Driven Life." Come discover the answer to the age-old question: "What on earth am I here for?"
More than 4,400 churches are participating in a spiritual journey this fall called "40 Days of Purpose" in order to answer this important question. Join in this journey on Sunday at 10:30 a.m. at Bull Run Elementary School, 15301 Lee Highway (at the intersection of Route 29 and Pleasant Valley Road in Centreville). Children can also take this journey, at the same time as their parents, through a special version of "40 Days of Purpose" geared just for them in the church's Centreville Kids Club. A nursery will be provided for younger children. Call 703-580-5226 or visit www.centrevillechurch.com.