Lord of Life Lutheran Church will dedicate the site for a new worship center on Union Mill Road on Sunday, Nov. 23. Neighborhood residents are invited to attend the worship and celebration, beginning with a worship service at the Centreville High School Auditorium, 6001 Union Mill Road, Clifton at 10:30 a.m. Afterwards, attendees will gather at the new church site on Union Mill Road for a dedication of the land. Following the dedication, the celebration will continue with lunch at the Little Rocky Run Community Center #3, 13900 Stonefield Dr., Clifton. Contact Lord of Life Lutheran Church at 703-323-9500.
A "Youth Jam" will be held at Jubilee Christian Center on Friday, Nov. 21, 7-11 p.m., for 7th-12th graders. There will be video games, sports, and a Christian drama presentation by "Master's Commission". There is no charge, except for food purchased. Located at 4650 Shirley Gate Rd., Fairfax, VA. Call 703-383-1170.
Wellspring Church will worship on Sunday, Nov. 16, at 10 a.m., at Centreville Station No. 17 on Old Centreville Road. Pastor Jeremy McLeod will preach on "Take My Gifts," and speak on the importance of all people and all gifts in the fabric of life and community. Sunday School classes for children also meet at 10 a.m., and a potluck lunch follows the worship this week.
Wellspring Church is progressively thoughtful, prayerful, justice-seeking, multi-racial, and open and affirming to seekers of all backgrounds. Wellspring is a new congregation of the United Church of Christ, and welcomes all to join its "circle of love for all people." Call Pastor Jeremy McLeod at 703-830-6095, or check the Web site www.wellspringucc.com.
Community Care Groups at New Life Christian Church
The following are on-going support groups which meet at Westfield High School on Sunday mornings or as indicated. Contact Community Care Minister Ron Furgerson at 703-266-0118 or firstname.lastname@example.org, for additional information about any of the groups:
* Food Freedom — A Celebrate Recovery Support Group. This group uses a proven Biblical approach to promote healing from compulsive eating problems. The group meets at Westfield High School at 9:30 a.m. each Sunday. Child Care is provided.
* Help for Hurts, Habits, and Hang-Ups — A Celebrate Recovery Group. This group uses the 12-step approach coupled with the teachings of Jesus to help overcome or cope with all types of addictions, compulsions, and life problems. The group meets at 9:30 a.m. each Sunday at Westfield High School. Child care is provided.
* Dealing with Divorce — A Divorce Care Support Group. This is a video-based seminar group for people who are separated or divorced. The group is a place to receive sound information about ways to heal from the hurt and to cope with the life pressures which accompany separation and divorce. The group meets at 11 a.m. each Sunday at Westfield High School. Child care is provided.
* Healthy Boundaries — Getting Control of Your Life. This group helps the over-stressed, over-worked, and over-committed to gain control of their lives through developing healthy, balanced relationships. The group meets at 7:30 p.m. each Thursday at 13777 Laurel Rock Drive; Clifton.
* Men's Issues — A support group for guys dealing with the unique issues men face in their jobs, personal lives, and relationships. The group meets at 7:30 p.m. each Monday at 4401 Shari Court in Catharpin.
Looking for a unique style of worship? Want something different to draw your attention to God which uses contemporary music and drama? "How Does God See me?" will be the theme of a contemporary worship service at Ox Hill Baptist Church on Sunday, Nov. 16 at 7 p.m. Dress is casual, but the experience is not. Don't miss this unique encounter with the Living Lord. The church is located at 4101 Elmwood Street, Chantilly. Call Mark Miller at 703-378-5555. Visit www.oxhillbaptist.org.
Pastor Bill Frasnelli announces that the Annual Missions Convention will be held at Jubilee Christian Center on Sunday, Nov. 16, during 10:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Services. Missionary J.R. Gould (Kenya) will speak at 10:30 a.m., and Philadelphia Messianic Rabbi Jeff Friedman will speak at 6:30 p.m. Both will participate in a Q & A at the free International Dinner following the morning service. Located at 4650 Shirley Gate Rd, Fairfax. Call 703-383-1170.
The Purpose Driven Life. Centreville Community Church is examining one of the New York Times' best-selling books, "The Purpose Driven Life." Come discover the answer to the age-old question: "What on earth am I here for?"
More than 4,400 churches are participating in a spiritual journey this fall called "40 Days of Purpose" in order to answer this important question. Join in this journey on Sunday at 10:30 a.m. at Bull Run Elementary School, 15301 Lee Highway (at the intersection of Route 29 and Pleasant Valley Road in Centreville). Children can also take this journey, at the same time as their parents, through a special version of "40 Days of Purpose" geared just for them in the church's Centreville Kids Club. A nursery will be provided for younger children. Call 703-580-5226 or visit www.centrevillechurch.com.
Clifton Presbyterian Church
Worship Services. Sundays: 8:30 and 11 a.m. Childcare available.
Fall Adult Education Class A video/discussion series titled: "Christianity at the Turn of the Century" with Professor Tony Campolo, is being led by Pastor Lynn from 9:45–10:45 a.m. on Sunday mornings. The series looks at: Faith Beyond Reason; The Quest for Identity; Right and Wrong; Good and Evil; Making Life Count and Building God’s Kingdom. All adults are welcome!
Contact Pastor Julie for details at 703-830-3175.
OWLS (Older, Wiser, Livelier Seniors): Monthly gatherings with various activities and trips. Call the church office at 703-830-3175.
Centreville Presbyterian Church:
* Fall Sunday School Classes for Children, Teens and Adults — Sundays, 10-11 a.m. Adult classes: Isaiah, The Practice of Godliness, Marriage and Family Life.
* Seven Small Groups — Meet in area homes for fellowship and spiritual growth.
* Music — Chancel choir rehearses Wednesdays, 7:15 p.m. Contemporary Music Worship Team rehearses Thursdays, 7:30 p.m. Newcomers are welcomed to participate.
Call CPC at 703-830-0098. CPC is located at 5690 Sully Road, Centreville, at the I-66 and Route 28 interchange.
The Youth Worship Services for Lord of Life Lutheran Church will be held at 5114 Twinbrook Road in Fairfax on the following dates: Dec. 21, Jan. 18, 2004, Feb. 29, Mar. 21, and Apr. 18.
The church is located at 5114 Twinbrook Road, Fairfax. Contact Lord of Life Lutheran Church at 703-323-9500.
Temple Beth Torah is a Reform Jewish congregation and member of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations (UAHC) that meets at St. John's Episcopal Church in Centreville. The congregation offers the Northern Virginia Jewish community services that provide numerous spiritual, educational, support and social opportunities including religious school for member children age 3 through Bar/Bat Mitzvah and confirmation. The congregation welcomes all members of the community to attend any services or events. Call 703-263-2252 or visit www.BethTorah.net.
Congregation Yad Shalom is a conservative synagogue located in Centreville. It provides many programs which offer the experience of a Jewish lifestyle in a traditional format.
* Join in a Saturday morning Torah service on Nov. 22, at 10 a.m. at Little Rocky Run Community Center # 3.
* Join in a Friday night Shabbat service and dinner with the Cantor on Dec. 5 at 7 p.m. at Little Rocky Run Community Center #3.
* Join in a special Chanukah service with the Cantor on Dec. 20 at 10 a.m. at Little Rocky Run Community Center # 3. Lunch will be served following the service.
* Sign up now for K-2 Hebrew school for the children.
Call Mike Goldenzweig at 703-753-3314, or visit the Web site at www.yadshalom.org.
Fitness with a Twist… Workout to the latest contemporary Christian music. Body & Soul is a high/low-impact aerobics class that includes strength training, Pilates, kickboxing, and more. Childcare and a home school room for Monday morning class is available.
Classes are held at Centreville Baptist Church on Route 29 just south of Stone Road. Class times are 9:30 to 11 a.m. Monday mornings, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays evenings, and 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. on Saturday mornings. Contact Melissa Ellison at 703-369-4636 or CBC Women’s Ministry at 703-830-3333.
News from Clifton Presbyterian Church:
Worship Services. Sundays: 8:30 and 11 a.m. Childcare available. No Christian Education classes are scheduled during the summer. OWLS (Older, Wiser, Livelier Seniors): Monthly gatherings with various activities and trips. Call church office at 703-830-3175.
St. John's Episcopal Church offers the following:
Sunday Eucharist services are at 8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. A nursery for children up to age 3 is available. Opportunities for adult, youth and child enrichment are offered. On Sundays: Christian Formation for all ages, Adult Lectionary Class and Newcomer Class at 9:15 a.m.; Children's Chapel at 10:30 a.m.; Youth Music and Youth Group at 4:15 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., respectively. On Mondays: New Testament Class at 7:30 p.m. On Wednesdays: Morning Bible Study at 10 a.m.; Eucharist and Healing Service at 9:15 a.m. on Thursdays: Children's Choir at 5 p.m.; Adult Choir and Education for Ministry at 7:30 p.m. Call 703-803-7500 or visit the Web site at www.stjohnscentreville.org.
Mount Olive Baptist Church:
* Church services: Rev. Eugene Johnson, pastor
* Prayer meeting/Bible study — Wednesday, 7 p.m.
* Sunday morning worship — 7:30 and 10:30 a.m.
* Sunday school — 9:45 a.m.
Mount Olive Baptist Church is located at 6600 Old Centreville Road, Centreville. Call 703-830-8769.
Cedar Run Community Church is offering a series on "Simple Truths that Transform." Cedar Run is a non-denominational Christian church that is all about families, fun and faith. It meets for Sunday service at 10:30 a.m. at Waples Mill Elementary off Waples Mill Road in the Fair Oaks area. There's a high-quality Promiseland children's ministry for newborns through sixth graders and there's a dynamic, safe place for teenagers at the student ministry that meets during the Sunday service as well. Call 703-968-7312 or check the Web site at www.cedarrun.net.
* New Women's small group starting on Wednesdays at 8 p.m. at the Starbucks at Sully Station in Centreville. Contact Briana Dintino at 703-818-1741.
Capital Worship Center will hold weekly Bible study and worship services on Wednesday nights at 7:30 p.m. at Centre Ridge Elementary School, 14400 New Braddock Road, Centreville. Also offered at this time will be youth services, children's fellowship and a nursery. Call 703-530-8100.
Cedar Run Community Church's Sunday service is held at 10:30 a.m. at Waples Mill Elementary School. New Community monthly worship service is held on the third Sunday of every month from 5-7:15 p.m. at Centreville Presbyterian Church. Free pizza dinner starting at 5 p.m. Childcare provided. Interested in learning about Cedar Run? Visit the Web site at www.cedarrun.net or call the church office at 703-968-7312.
Christ the Redeemer Episcopal Church holds a contemporary worship service on Sunday mornings at 10 a.m. at Centreville Elementary School in Centreville. Sunday school and a nursery are provided on Sundays. The Web site is www.connectwithctr.com. Call 703-502-1732.
Mount Horeb A.M.E. Mission Church invites the public to worship on Sunday mornings at 11 a.m. at Virginia Run Elementary School, 15450 Martins Hundred Drive in Centreville. The Rev. Larry C. Rogers is the pastor. Call 703-330-2109.
New Hope Fellowship currently meets at 10 a.m. at Rocky Run Middle School with worship at 11 a.m. each Sunday. The school is located at 4400 Stringfellow Road, Chantilly. Call 703-591-2948.
Body & Soul Aerobics and Strength Training Classes is a fitness program choreographed to today's Christian music, and it offers great fellowship with other women. Classes are currently held at Centreville Baptist Church on Route 29 just south of Stone Road. Class times are Monday and Thursday, 7-8:15 p.m., Monday morning, 9:30-11 a.m., and Saturday morning, 8-9:30 a.m. Call ahead for childcare at 703-830-3333.