Buddy Helm will be presenting a Drumming Workshop on Saturday, Sept. 20, from 7:30 to 11 p.m. at Unity Life Center, 14088-C Sullyfield Circle in Chantilly.
Helm will conduct his drumming healing workshop which makes the healing qualities of the drum accessible to all people, regardless of their musical backgrounds. Drumming since the age of 8, Helm has played live and in recording sessions with a variety of rock bands, including Frank Zappa, Chuck Berry, Tim Buckley, Olatunji, and the Allman Brothers. He has taught everything from Afro-Cuban to jazz, R&B, rock 'n roll and reggae. As an author of two books, "Drumming the Spirit to Life" and "The Way of the Drum," Helm will talk, play and coach people into a healing space while they also play the drums. The cost is $45; (all proceeds go to ULC) dessert and drinks provided. Call Maggie Bukowski 703-222-6063.
Mount Olive Baptist Curch will hold its annual Homecoming Day Celebration on Sunday, Sept. 21 at 3 p.m. Mount Olive is located at 6600 Old Centreville Road, Centreville. Call 703-830-8769. Visit the Web site at www.mountolive-church.org.
Wellspring United Church of Christ will worship on Sunday, Sept. 21, at 10 a.m., at Centreville Station No. 17 on Old Centreville Rd. Pastor Jeremy McLeod will preach on "Trees Planted by the Water." Sunday School classes for children also meet at 10 a.m., and a fellowship hour follows the worship.
McLeod recently arrived from Denver to join Wellspring's ministry, which is progressively thoughtful, prayerful, justice-seeking, multi-racial, and Open and Affirming to seekers of all backgrounds. Wellspring is a new congregation of the UCC, and welcomes all to join its "circle of love for all people." Call Pastor McLeod at 703-830-0695, or check the Web site www.wellspringucc.com.
Centreville Presbyterian Church (CPC) invites the public to participate in its fall programs and events:
* Marriage and the Family — Special sermon series, now through Oct. 12 at 8:30 and 11:15 a.m. services. Special adult education classes Wednesday nights in October, 7-8 p.m.
* Fall Sunday School Classes for Children, Teens and Adults — Sundays, 10-11 a.m. Adult classes: Isaiah, The Practice of Godliness, Marriage and Family Life.
* Church Picnic — Sunday, Sept. 21, 1-6 p.m., Camp Glenkirk. Talent Show.
* Seven Small Groups — Meet in area homes for fellowship and spiritual growth.
* Music — Chancel choir rehearses Wednesdays, 7:15 p.m. Contemporary Music Worship Team rehearses Thursdays, 7:30 p.m. Newcomers are welcomed to participate.
* Women’s Book Club — "The Amber Photograph" Begins Sept. 23, 7:30 p.m. at CPC.
* James River Plantation Tour — Oct. 4, departs 7 a.m. and returns 5 p.m. Cost: $39 per person, includes two tours, bus and snacks. Reserve early with deposit.
Call CPC at 703-830-0098. CPC is located at 5690 Sully Road, Centreville, at the I-66 and Route 28 interchange.
The gospel choir Mosiac Harmony will present a concert on Sunday, Sept. 28 at 7 p.m. at Centreville United Methodist Church. Accompanied by keyboard, percussion and guitar, the choir sings repertoire including urban gospel, spirituals and gospel hymns. Mosaic Harmony is comprised of singers of different races representing more than 17 different religious denominations. The choir is directed by Rev. David North.
Temple Beth Torah is a Reform Jewish congregation and member of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations (UAHC) that meets at St. John's Episcopal Church in Centreville. The congregation offers the Northern Virginia Jewish community services that provide numerous spiritual, educational, support and social opportunities including religious school for member children age 3 through Bar/Bat Mitzvah and confirmation. The congregation welcomes all members of the community to attend any services or events. Call 703-263-2252 or visit www.BethTorah.net.
* Friday, Sept. 19, 7:30-9:30 p.m. Selichot Service. Join Rabbi Block and Cantor Marsh for a special Selichot service in the chapel. This service ushers in the High Holy Days, and inspires the proper mood by speaking to our minds and our hearts.
* Saturday, Sept. 20, 9:30-10:30 a.m., Tot Shabbat Service. Join Rabbi Block for a Tot Shabbat Service in Rooms 217-218.
* Sunday, Sept. 21, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Religious School regular schedule.
* Tuesday, Sept. 23, 7:30-9:30 p.m., Board of Directors Meeting. Anyone interested in attending may e-mail email@example.com.
* Friday, Sept. 26, High Holiday service and registration information have been mailed to all members. High Holiday materials will also be posted to www.bethtorah.net. Tickets are required for all members and non-members attending High Holiday services. Call Charles Fuhrer at 703-830-2558.
* Friday, Sept. 26, 8-10 p.m., Erev Rosh Hashanah Service. Join Rabbi Block and Cantor Marsh for the opening High Holiday Service for 5764 in the Parish Hall. The Sisterhood will be sponsoring the Oneg following the service.
* Saturday, Sept. 27, 9-10 a.m., Children's Rosh Hashanah Service. Join Rabbi Block for the children's Rosh Hashanah service in the Parish Hall. 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Rosh Hashanah Service. Join Rabbi Block and Cantor Marsh for the morning Rosh Hashanah service in the Parish Hall. A Tashlich service will be held at E.C. Lawrence Park following the service.
* Sunday, Sept. 28, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. No religious school. Second day of Rosh Hashanah family activity.
* Sunday, Oct. 5, 7-9 p.m. Kol Nidre Service: Join Rabbi Block and Cantor Marsh for the Kol Nidre Service in the Parish Hall. The TBT Choir will also be participating in the service.
* Monday, Oct. 6, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Morning Yom Kippur Service: Join Rabbi Block and Cantor Marsh for the morning Yom Kippur Service followed by Yizkor in the Parish Hall.
5-8 p.m. Afternoon Yom Kippur Service: Join Rabbi Block and Cantor Marsh for the concluding Yom Kippur service in the Parish Hall. The annual
TBT Break-the-Fast will begin immediately following the service. Tickets are required to attend the Break-the-Fast.
Congregation Yad Shalom is a conservative synagogue located in Centreville. It provides many programs which offer the experience of a Jewish lifestyle in a traditional format.
* The high holidays will be here shortly. Find out how to participate with Yad Shalom.
* Join in a special Sukkot celebration on Sunday, Oct. 12, at 11 a.m.
* Join in a special Simcha Torah celebration on Saturday, Oct. 18, at 8 p.m.
* Sign up now for K-2 Hebrew school for the children.
Call Mike Goldenzweig at 703-753-3314, or visit the Web site at www.yadshalom.org.
Clifton Presbyterian Church offers worship services on Sundays at 8:30 and 11 a.m. Childcare is available. Fall classes include:
* Disciple I: Becoming Disciples through Bible Study. This 34-week study will begin in September. It features daily preparation and weekly group sessions with the goal of developing biblically nourished persons committed to live as disciples of Christ. Call church office at 703-830-3175 for day and time details.
* Disciple II: Into the Word Into the World. A 32-week study of Genesis, Exodus, Luke and Acts for graduates of Disciple I. Concentrated study of four books will be the work of individuals in daily preparation and of the group in weekly sessions. Special emphasis on Sabbath, spiritual disciplines, and each person’s ministry characterizes this study. Classes will be on Mondays from 9:30-11:30 a.m. Call the church office, 703-830-3175, to register.
* Prospective New Member Classes: A series of four classes will be held at 9:45 a.m., Sept. 21, 28 and Oct. 5. Contact the church office.
* OWLS (Older, Wiser, Livelier Seniors): Monthly gatherings with various activities and trips. Call the church office at 703-830-3175.
Centreville United Methodist Church will host the Folk Ensemble of the Washington Balalaika Society. Appearing in traditional Russian folk costumes, the Ensemble will present a benefit concert for the Ivonavo, Russia Orphanage Mission Project. The concert will be Sunday, Oct. 12, at 7 p.m. Suggested donations are $10 per adult and $5 per child under 12. Contact the church office at 703-830-2684.
In a rare Fairfax appearance, Greater Little Zion Baptist Church will present the United States Military Academy Cadet Gospel Choir for an evening of fellowship through song. The choir members are all students at West Point Military Academy in New York. The performance will take place on Saturday, Oct. 4 at 7 p.m. and it's free. The church is located at 10185 Zion Drive in Fairfax. Call 703-764-9111.
Centreville Baptist Church Single Adult Ministry will be hosting a singles outreach event on Saturday, Oct. 11, from 6:30-9:30 p.m. at Centreville Baptist Church, 15100 Lee Highway, Centreville. This event is open to all singles, single again, and single parents 25-plus years of age. There will be food, entertainment, and an opportunity to fellowship with other singles in the neighborhood. Contact Centreville Baptist Church at 703-830-3333. Childcare will be provided from 6:30-9 p.m. Must RSVP childcare by Oct. 1, to Betty Thomas at 703-753-9941.
Fitness with a Twist… Workout to the latest contemporary Christian music. Body & Soul is a high/low-impact aerobics class that includes strength training, Pilates, kickboxing, and more. Childcare and a home school room for Monday morning class is available.
Classes are held at Centreville Baptist Church on Route 29 just south of Stone Road. Class times are 9:30 to 11 a.m. Monday mornings, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays evenings, and 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. on Saturday mornings. Contact Melissa Ellison at 703-369-4636 or CBC Women’s Ministry at 703-830-3333.
Craft vendors are wanted for Pender United Methodist Church's annual Autumn Marketplace, Friday, Nov. 7, from 5-9 p.m., and Saturday, Nov. 8, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Craft vendors keep all of their receipts. To rent a booth, contact Kay Creel at 703-327-3240.
Centreville Baptist Church at 15100 Lee Highway will offer three morning English as a Second Language (ESL) classes this fall on Thursday mornings and will emphasize beginning conversational English. One of the three classes will feature the Bible as the main text. Those interested should attend a short introductory class on Sept. 18 from 10-11:30 a.m. at the church. Childcare will be available at a minimal expense. The classes will run from Sept. 25 through Dec. 11 from 10 –11:30 a.m. and then will start again in January. The cost will be $5 for registration plus $11 for the text. Call the church office at 703-830-3333.
The Centreville Baptist Women's Ministry will offer the following Bible Studies this fall:
* Sundays, 6 p.m. - A Heart Like His (Beth Moore Study)
* Tuesdays 9:30 a.m. - Sermon on the Mount (Precepts Study), The Beloved Disciple (Beth Moore Study), Motherwise: Freedom for Mothers
* Thursdays 10 a.m. - Becoming a Woman of Love (Cythina Heald Study)
Call the church office at 703-830-3333.
Crafters Needed — Centreville United Methodist Church, Craft Fair and Holiday Bazaar Saturday, Nov. 1 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Centreville. Crafters contact Allyson Sengstack at 703-378-2740.
Crafters are wanted for the annual craft bazaar on Saturday, Nov. 1, from 9 a.m. -2 p.m. at Christ Presbyterian Church, 12410 Lee Jackson Highway. Call Mary Jane at 703-378-6838 for an application.
News from Clifton Presbyterian Church:
Worship Services. Sundays: 8:30 and 11 a.m. Childcare available. No Christian Education classes are scheduled during the summer. OWLS (Older, Wiser, Livelier Seniors): Monthly gatherings with various activities and trips. Call church office at 703-830-3175.
St. John's Episcopal Church offers the following:
Sunday Eucharist services are at 8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. A nursery for children up to age 3 is available. Opportunities for adult, youth and child enrichment are offered. On Sundays: Christian Formation for all ages, Adult Lectionary Class and Newcomer Class at 9:15 a.m.; Children's Chapel at 10:30 a.m.; Youth Music and Youth Group at 4:15 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., respectively. On Mondays: New Testament Class at 7:30 p.m. On Wednesdays: Morning Bible Study at 10 a.m.; Eucharist and Healing Service at 9:15 a.m. on Thursdays: Children's Choir at 5 p.m.; Adult Choir and Education for Ministry at 7:30 p.m. Call 703-803-7500 or visit the Web site at www.stjohnscentreville.org.
Mount Olive Baptist Church:
* Church services: Rev. Eugene Johnson, pastor
* Prayer meeting/Bible study — Wednesday, 7 p.m.
* Sunday morning worship — 7:30 and 10:30 a.m.
* Sunday school — 9:45 a.m.
Mount Olive Baptist Church is located at 6600 Old Centreville Road, Centreville. Call 703-830-8769.
Cedar Run Community Church is offering a series on "Simple Truths that Transform." Cedar Run is a non-denominational Christian church that is all about families, fun and faith. It meets for Sunday service at 10:30 a.m. at Waples Mill Elementary off Waples Mill Road in the Fair Oaks area. There's a high-quality Promiseland children's ministry for newborns through sixth graders and there's a dynamic, safe place for teenagers at the student ministry that meets during the Sunday service as well. Call 703-968-7312 or check the Web site at www.cedarrun.net.
* New Women's small group starting on Wednesdays at 8 p.m. at the Starbucks at Sully Station in Centreville. Contact Briana Dintino at 703-818-1741.
Capital Worship Center will hold weekly Bible study and worship services on Wednesday nights at 7:30 p.m. at Centre Ridge Elementary School, 14400 New Braddock Road, Centreville. Also offered at this time will be youth services, children's fellowship and a nursery. Call 703-530-8100.
Cedar Run Community Church's Sunday service is held at 10:30 a.m. at Waples Mill Elementary School. New Community monthly worship service is held on the third Sunday of every month from 5-7:15 p.m. at Centreville Presbyterian Church. Free pizza dinner starting at 5 p.m. Childcare provided. Interested in learning about Cedar Run? Visit the Web site at www.cedarrun.net or call the church office at 703-968-7312.
Christ the Redeemer Episcopal Church holds a contemporary worship service on Sunday mornings at 10 a.m. at Centreville Elementary School in Centreville. Sunday school and a nursery are provided on Sundays. The Web site is www.connectwithctr.com. Call 703-502-1732.
Mount Horeb A.M.E. Mission Church invites the public to worship on Sunday mornings at 11 a.m. at Virginia Run Elementary School, 15450 Martins Hundred Drive in Centreville. The Rev. Larry C. Rogers is the pastor. Call 703-330-2109.
New Hope Fellowship currently meets at 10 a.m. at Rocky Run Middle School with worship at 11 a.m. each Sunday. The school is located at 4400 Stringfellow Road, Chantilly. Call 703-591-2948.
Body & Soul Aerobics and Strength Training Classes is a fitness program choreographed to today's Christian music, and it offers great fellowship with other women. Classes are currently held at Centreville Baptist Church on Route 29 just south of Stone Road. Class times are Monday and Thursday, 7-8:15 p.m., Monday morning, 9:30-11 a.m., and Saturday morning, 8-9:30 a.m. Call ahead for childcare at 703-830-3333.