<lst>Know something that should be featured in Faith Notes? Send a brief write-up and photos to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Jon Whiten at 703-917-6422.
A Healing Service takes place on Sunday, Sept. 4, at 6:30 p.m., at Jubilee Christian Center, 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. For more, call 703-383-1170.
King of Kings Lutheran Church, 4025 Kings Way, Fairfax, offers the following events/services:
* Crafters and vendors are needed for the church's annual Craft Fair, Saturday, Sept. 24. For more, call 703-378-7272.
St. John's United Methodist Church, located at 5312 Backlick Road, Springfield, presents its third annual Community Fun Festival, Saturday, Sept. 10, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. The event includes train ride, moon bounce, big ocean slide, whirlybird, games, craft and vendor booths, food and free live music. For more, call 703-560-6655.
St. Mark's Church is selling gently used Sony Vaio computers with flatscreen monitors for $500. For more, visit www.stmarkdc.org. St. Mark's is located at 11911 Braddock Road, Fairfax.
St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church, 8617 Little River Turnpike, Annandale, hosts the following events. For more, visit www.stmatthewsumc.org or call 703-978-3500.
* Open Hearts Open House on Saturday, Sept. 10, from 4-8 p.m. The Open Hearts celebrates community with family and children’s games, fellowship activities, candle-lighting ceremony and free food.
* Sunrise Service on Sunday, Sept. 11, 6-7 a.m. This special sunrise service offers a time of remembrance for the community.
* ESOL Classes are offered Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 7-9 p.m. Fall Classes start Sept. 13. Five free class levels cater to the student’s English language proficiency.
The Lutheran Church of the Abiding Presence on 6504 Lee Chapel Road in Burke, presents a Memorial Service on Sept. 11, at 4 p.m. Fifty singers from six area churches, soloists and members of the American Youth Symphony Orchestra and Fairfax Choral Society will present, concert style, "The Faure Requiem." This service is being done to memorialize those who were lost in 2001, to remember families who lost loved ones and to pray for the country.
The second annual Adat Reyim Craft and Fun Fair takes place Sunday, Sept. 18, at the Springfield synagogue, 6500 Westbury Oaks Court, Springfield. Non-Judaic crafts accepted. Vendor tables available for advance fee of $25, all tables indoors. For more, call 703-569-7577.
The Messiah United Methodist Church sponsors the following events/services. The church is located at 6215 Rolling Road, Springfield. For more, call 703-569-9862.
* Messiah Day. Sunday, Sept. 11, at 12:15 p.m. The church celebrates its ministries and mission with fellowship, food and lots of fun. There will be games, a moonbounce, a talent show, a dunk tank and more.
* 40 Days of Purpose. The church will join churches nationwide to study the book "The Purpose Driven Life" beginning Sept. 18. For more on the program, call the church.
* Sunday Services. Traditional Sunday morning worship services: 8:15 a.m., with Holy Communion every Sunday; 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m., Holy Communion on the first Sunday; and Heartline, a contemporary praise and worship service, Sunday evenings at 7:15 p.m.
* Prayer at Messiah. Messiah offers the following prayer ministries: Sunday Morning Prayers, 7:15 a.m. in the Chapel; Tuesday Evening Prayer, 7:30 p.m. in the Chapel and Wednesday Prayer Group, 6 a.m. in the Chapel.
* Singles Sunday School, each Sunday, at 10:45 a.m., in Room 266.
* Divorce Recovery. The eight-week program is designed to help divorced or separated persons learn how to grow and discover new doors to the future, and begins Wednesday, Sept. 21, from 7:30-9 p.m. Call Salley Sutton, 703-569-9862, ext. 213 to pre-register.
Truro Church MOPS would like to invite all mothers of preschool aged children to join MOPS for relevant speakers, small group time with other moms and food. The group meets the second Thursday of every month, and the next meeting will be Sept. 8, at 7 p.m., at Truro Church, located at 10520 Main St., Fairfax, in the church fellowship hall on the lower level. For more, call Amanda Qreitem at 703-222-2332 or e-mail email@example.com.
Highview Christian Fellowship, located at 4100 Hunt Road in Fairfax, presents the "Walk Thru the Bible" ministry, Saturday, Sept. 17, from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Registration is $25, and includes training materials and lunch. For more, call 703-323-6367 or visit www.highviewcf.org.
Body and Soul aerobics and strength training classes meet every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, beginning Sept. 12, from 9-10:30 a.m., at Burke Community Church, 9990 Old Keene Mill Road. Body and Soul is a complete cardiovascular and strength workout to contemporary Christian music. For more information contact Suzann Albanese at 703-372-2332.
Sydenstricker United Methodist Church, located at 8508 Hoes Road in Springfield, hosts the following events/services. For more, call 703-451-8223 or visit www.sumdisciples.org.
* Welcome Sunday Picnic. On Sunday, Sept. 11, at 12:15 p.m., there will be food, fellowship and fun. The picnic will feature games, singing, and a wildest dresser contest.
* Alpha Course. An introduction to the Alpha Course with dinner and a movie, Sunday, Sept. 18, 6-8 p.m. The Alpha Course is a series of talks addressing key issues relating to the Christian faith. The dinner, movie, and 10-week course are free. RSVPs for the dinner are helpful, but not required. Call Diane at 703-455-8477.
* GriefShare meets each Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Agape House. It is a seminar and support group for people grieving the loss of someone close. Each of the 13 sessions includes a video and small group discussion. Participants can join at any time. For more, call Kathy at 703-451-9021.
The Fairfax United Methodist Church, located at 10300 Stratford Ave., Fairfax, hosts the Little Angel consignment sale for children's clothing, toys and equipment on Saturday, Sept. 24, from 8:30 a.m.-noon. For more, call 703-591-3120.
The following is a list of various events taking place at Mount Calvary Baptist Church, 4325 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax: Bible study and Prayer Service every Tuesday night starting at 7 p.m. Sunday School at 9:30–10:45 a.m., except for the fourth Sunday of the month, when Sunday School is offered 9-10 a.m. Sunday morning service at 11 a.m. Commonwealth Care Center ministry every first and third Thursday night. Call 703-273-1455.
Congregation Adat Reyim is a progressive conservative congregation with educational programs for preschoolers through high schoolers. Led by Rabbi Bruce Aft. Services are as follow: Maariv every Wednesday at 7:40 p.m.; Erev Shabbat every Friday at 8 p.m.; and Shabbat Service every Saturday at 9:30 a.m. Call for information on monthly Tot Shabbat, Kabbalat Shabbat and other special services. Adat Reyim is located at 6500 Westbury Oaks Court, in Springfield. For more information, call 703-569-7577 or visit www.adatreyim.org.
Fresh Fire International Center hosts a dress-down "Love Feast" on the second Sunday of every month at 10:30 a.m. at the Chinese Martial Arts Building, 8426-B Lee Highway, Fairfax, opposite the BMW Fairfax; entrance is in the back. Come meet new people, play games, enjoy a meal and hear the word. Call 703-815-8950.
New World Unity Church offers a Sunday Celebration Service every Sunday at 10:30 a.m., at Irving Middle School, located at 8100 Old Keene Mill Road in Springfield. New World Unity Church is a spiritual community "consciously co-creating a peaceful, harmonious world that recognizes Oneness." Children's programs begin at 9:30 a.m. For more information, call 703-690-7925 or visit www.NewWorldUnity.org.
The Fairfax Church of Christ sponsors a Divorce Recovery Support Group every Monday at 7:30 p.m., at the church. Cost is $10 for book used. For more information call 703-631-2100 or visit www.fxcc.org. The Fairfax Church of Christ is located at 3901 Rugby Road, Fairfax.
International Calvary Church is a Christ, Bible and Spirit centered church. Sunday services are as follows: English services at 9:45 a.m., Korean services at 11:30 a.m., and youth services at 11:30 a.m. Sunday School is as follows: English classes at 11:30 a.m., and children's classes at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday Bible study and Youth Meeting are at 8 p.m., and Friday Prayer and Youth Meeting take place at 8:30 p.m. For more information, call 703-569-1918. The International Calvary Church is located at 5700 Hanover Ave., Springfield.
RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) is for people who are interested in becoming Catholic or learning about the Catholic Church. A group will be meeting on Wednesday evenings at 7:30 p.m., at St. Leo the Great Church, 3704 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax in the Old Parish Hall and will continue to meet throughout the school year. For more, call Martha Malloy at 703-273-5369.
Lord of Life Lutheran Church, located at 5114 Twinbrook Road, Fairfax, sponsors the following events:
* Beth Moore Bible study series "Living Beyond Yourself: Exploring the Fruit of the Spirit" on Thursdays at 7:30 p.m. and Sundays 9:30 a.m. Cost is $15 for workbook. Open to women.
The Shalem Institute is offering free monthly prayer opportunities in Fairfax. The time together will be devoted to relaxation, the presentation of different prayer practices, silence, journal keeping and small group sharing. No experience is required, and participants may attend regularly or drop in. Donations are accepted. Meetings take place the third Monday of the month, 7:30-9 p.m., at the Providence Presbyterian Church, 9019 Little River Turnpike, Fairfax. Ann Kulp, Kathy Spaar and Tad Wicker lead the meetings. To register for these events or for more information, visit www.shalem.org or call 301-897-7334.