Know something that should be listed in Health & Fitness? Send a brief write-up to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA, 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Jon Whiten at 703-917-6422.
The National Capital Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society presents “Managing Pain in MS,” with Heidi Maloni, Thursday, Dec. 8, from 7:30-9 p.m., at Inova Fairfax Hospital, Physician’s Conference Center, 3300 Gallows Road, Falls Church. Call 202-296-9891 or visit www.msandyou.org.
HAVEN of Northern Virginia presents a free discussion on how to deal with the holidays after the death of a loved one, Thursday, Dec. 8, from 7:30-9 p.m., at Hope Lutheran Church, 4606 Ravensworth Road, Annandale. Call 703-941-7000 or e-mail email@example.com.
A fund raiser for the National Capital Area Chapter of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is Thursday, Dec. 15, at Baja Fresh Mexican Grill. There are two Fairfax locations: 12150 Fairfax Town Center, and 3011-A Nutley St. Fifteen percent of all store sales will be donated.
The American Liver Foundation National Capital Area Polar Burr Plunge is Jan. 1, at the Old Dominion Boat Club, 1 King St., Alexandria. The event is a fund raiser for the American Liver Foundation. Register at www.alfdc.org or www.lin-mark.com.
Registration for weekday and weekend lamaze childbirth classes in Springfield is available at www.lamaze-dc.com or by calling 703-549-2226.
Burke Internal Medicine, located at 5631 Burke Centre Parkway in Burke, seeks volunteers with type 2 diabetes for a clinical research study, to last about six months, with up to 19 clinic visits. Call 703-250-5171.
Alzheimer's Family Day Center, located at 2812 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax, hosts various classes. Reservations are required, and classes are open to people who are caring for a relative or friend with dementia. For more, call 703-204-4664 or visit www.alzheimersfdc.org/classes.htm.
HAVEN of Northern Virginia sponsors the following bereavement support groups. HAVEN of Northern Virginia is located at 4606 Ravensworth Road, Annandale. For more information, call 703-941-7000 or visit www.havenofnova.org:
* Widow/Widower Bereavement Support Groups, for anyone grieving the death of a spouse. Meetings take place on the first and third Thursday of the month or on the second and fourth Tuesday of the month. The next Tuesday meetings take place Dec. 13 and 27, from 7:30-9 p.m. The next Thursday meetings take place Dec. 1 and 20, from 2-3:30 p.m.
* Suicide Survivors Bereavement Support Group, for anyone grieving the loss of a loved one to suicide, meets the first Tuesday of the month from 7:30-9 p.m. Next meeting takes place Jan. 3.
Mothers & More is a support group for women who have altered their career path to care for their young children at home. The group offers playgroups, children's and family activities, guest speakers, book club, mom's night out, movie night, chat group and more. For more information, call 1-866-716-7766 or visit www.novamoms.org. The group meets at the following:
* The third Wednesday of the month at 7:30 p.m., in the Braddock Hall at the Kings Park Library, 9000 Burke Lake Road, Burke. The next meeting is Dec. 21.
* The first Thursday of the month at 7:30 p.m., at the Fairfax County Government Center. Next meeting is Jan. 5.
The Parkinson Foundation of the National Capital Area offers the following support group opportunities:
* Fairfax Sully Group and Exercise Class. The Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets monthly on the fourth Saturday, from 10-11 a.m., with an exercise class at 11 a.m., at the Fair Oaks Sunrise Assisted Living Facility, 3750 Joseph Siewick Drive, Fairfax. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients and family members. Co-leaders are Bill Robbins 703-830-3823 and Darryl Edwards 703-378-9213. Visit www.parkinsonstories.com.
* Fairfax Little River Glen Group. The Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets on the third Thursday of the month at 1 p.m., at Little River Glen Senior Center, 4001 Barker Court, Fairfax. The next meeting is on Nov. 17. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients, family members, and carepartners. No charge. Call Leon Paparella at 202-966-4450.
* The Springfield Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets on the fourth Thursday of the month at 2 p.m., at Greenspring Village, 7400 Spring Village Drive, Town Center Building, Music Room, Springfield. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients, family members and carepartners. Call Michel Margosis at 703-569-2630 or Mitch Mills at 703-913-0270.
* The Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets on the fourth Saturday of the month from 10-11 a.m., with an exercise class normally reserved at 11 a.m., at the Fair Oaks Sunrise Assisted Living Facility, 3750 Joseph Siewick Drive, Fairfax. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients and family members. For more information, contact Bill Robbins at 703-830-3823 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and Darryl Edwards at 703-378-9213. Visit www.parkinsonstories.com.
* Fairfax Little River Glen Exercise Class. The Parkinson's Disease Exercise Class meets weekday mornings at Little River Glen Senior Center, 4001 Barker Court, Fairfax. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients, family members and carepartners. Call the LRG Senior Center at 703-503-8703.
Caregiver Support. A support group in Burke will offer support and information to people caring for elderly or disabled adults, whether these loved ones live in their home, nearby residences or miles away. Meetings are free and open to the public. This caregivers support group meets on the second and fourth Saturday of each month, 1-2:30 p.m., at Accotink Unitarian Universalist Church, 10125 Lakehaven Court, Burke. The next meeting will be Dec. 10. Call 703-451-8631 or email@example.com.
CanSurvive. Life with Cancer sponsors a patient-led, drop in lunchtime general cancer support group for those dealing with any type of cancer on Thursdays at 12 p.m., at the Life with Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St. Call 301-610-9146 or visit www.can-survive.net.
TLC: Teens Living with Cancer. Monthly social activities for 13 to 18-year-olds who have cancer give them a chance to meet others with cancer, share a little have fun. Call 703-208-5623 for details. At the Life with Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St. Call 703-698-2841 or visit www.lifewithcancer.org.
The Jewish Social Service Agency sponsors services for older adults in Northern Virginia, including in-home support services such as Meals on Wheels, nonsectarian geriatric care management services and counseling for seniors and their family. Call 703-204-9100. The Jewish Social Service Agency is located at 3018 Javier Road, Fairfax.
Alzheimer's Association Caregiver Support Group. Meets the third Monday of the month from 10-11:30 a.m., at Manor Care of Fair Oaks, 12475 Lee Jackson Highway. Facilitated by trained group leaders, ongoing, free and open to the community. Support groups allow families to meet other caregivers, to share experiences and care giving tips while developing coping skills. Caregivers and family members are invited to visit. Call Anita Newsome, group leader, at 703- 352-7172 prior to attending for the first time.
Parents of Children with Epilepsy. A support group for parents of children of all ages diagnosed with seizure disorders, meets the fourth Monday of each month, 7-8 p.m., at the Braddock supervisor's office in the meeting room, 9002 Burke Lake Road. Call Dana Douglas at 703-425-6660.