<lst>Know something that should be featured in Faith Notes? Send a brief write-up and photos to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Nina M. Dry at 703-917-6422.
The Ekoji Buddhist Temple offers an introductory class on Buddhism at 10 a.m., beginning Jan. 16. Sessions meet for five weeks. For more information, visit www.ekoji.org. The Ekoji Buddhist Temple is located at 6500 Lake Haven Lane, Fairfax Station.
Congregation Adat Reyim, located at 6500 Westbury Oaks Court, in Springfield, sponsors the following events/services. To register or for more information, call 703-569-7577 or visit www.adatreyim.org.
* An artistic workshop. Learn to crochet a kippot. No prior experience necessary. The two sessions take place Feb. 24 and March 3, at 7 p.m. A $15 fee covers both sessions.
* Purim Carnival, sponsored by Congregation Adat Reyim's preschool on March 13, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Event includes games, prizes, a Purim parade, hamentashen and lunch. Small fee for tickets and food. Participants are encouraged to come in costume and are asked to bring a can of food to donate to a local foodbank.
* Young Family Service, a family-friendly Friday night service, takes place March 11, at 7 p.m., with an Oneg Shabbat following. Traditional services begin at 8 p.m.
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church hosts a soup and salad supper on Sunday, Feb. 27, at 5:30 p.m., at the church, 6509 Sydenstricker Road, Burke. Supper is followed by a program on penance at 6:30 p.m. Childcare and activities for elementary-age children is provided. For more information, call 703-455-2500.
Sydenstricker United Methodist Church offers the Lenten study, "The Life You've Always Wanted," for six weeks, running through the week of March 23. Five different class times are offered — Wednesday mornings, Sundays at 9:45 a.m. or 7 p.m., Mondays at 7:30 p.m., and Thursdays at 9:20 a.m. The study offers fresh perspectives on faith practices for ordinary people, practices such as prayer and Bible reading. Sydenstricker United Methodist Church is located at 8508 Hooes Road, Springfield. For more information and to register, call Sandra Warren at 703-451-8223.
The Messiah United Methodist Church sponsors the following events/services. The church is located at 6215 Rolling Road, Springfield. For more information, call 703-569-9862.
* Singers Sought for Handel's "Messiah" (Parts II and III). Come be a part of the Messiah UMC Oratorio Chorus to perform "Messiah" on March 20, at 3 p.m. Required rehearsals are Feb. 27, March 6 and March 13, from 8-10 p.m. Dress rehearsal is Saturday, March 19, from 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. To register, contact Roger G. Miller at 703-569-9862, ext. 204.
* Blood Drive. Sunday, Feb. 27, from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Call the church to make an appointment.
* Secrets From A D.C. Wardrobe Coach. Wednesday, March 2, at 7:30 p.m. Sponsored by the Successfully Single Program, Amy Schoen, a D.C. wardrobe coach and personal shopper teaches how to keep fashion up-to-date without going fashion overboard. This seminar is appropriate for men and women, singles and married individuals.
* Stewardship Workshop. “A Call to Financial Discipleship: Encouraging the Joy of Generous Giving,” a free workshop on Saturday, March 5, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The Rev. David S. Bell, leader of the Center for Christian Stewardship of the United Methodist Church, presents an educational and practical workshop that addresses Christian stewardship. To register, call the church office.
* Sunday Services. Traditional Sunday morning worship services: 8:15 a.m. (with Holy Communion every Sunday), 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. (Holy Communion on the first Sunday)
* Heartline. A contemporary praise and worship service, Sunday evenings at 7:15 p.m.
Burke Presbyterian Church hosts a Lenten Soup and Study Group on March 1, March 8 and March 15, from 6:30-9 p.m., at the church, 5690 Oak Leather Drive. For more information, call 703-764-0456 or visit www.BurkePresChurch.org.
Fairfax Christian Church, located at 10185 Main St., Fairfax, sponsors a series of Lenten activities. For more information, call 703-385-3520.
* Bible Study: Portraits of Jesus in the Gospels, takes place Wednesdays in March from 7:30-8:30 p.m. This class features a video series by Dr. Fred Craddock, Disciples New Testament theologian and nationally-renown preacher and speaker. Class will include discussion of the following topics: Introduction to Images of Jesus, March 2; Looking at the New Testament Gospels, March 9; Mark's Perspective, March 16; and The Cross, March 23.
* Experience the Passover meal on March 24, at 7:30 p.m., and reflect on the events leading up to Easter through drama and music.
* Easter Sunday Service on Sunday, March 27, at 10:30 a.m. Celebrate the triumph of Christ's resurrection.
Church Women United sponsors a World Day of Prayer service on March 4, at 10 a.m., at Bush Hill Presbyterian Church, 4916 Franconia Road. The theme of the service is "Let Our Light Shine." For more information, call 703-591-3018.
The Jubilee Christian Center hosts a Healing Service on March 6, at 6:30 p.m., at the center, 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. The Rev. Trinity Jordan, of Utah, is the guest speaker. For more information, call 703-383-1170.
The Springfield United Methodist Church sponsors the following events/services. The church is located at 7047 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield. For more information, call 703-971-2977.
* Nevelson Duo concert, on March 6, at 7:30 p.m., with a reception to follow. Free will offering welcome.
* "Service of Healing and Wholeness." This program takes place on March 13, at 7:30 p.m., in the sanctuary. Event includes Holy Communion and Intercessory Prayer.
* Dr. Ernest K. Emurian's play, "The Last Living Supper," takes place on March 24, in the Social Hall.
* Stations of the Cross, as part of Good Friday worship, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., in the sanctuary. Worshippers can pray and reflect as they walk the stations.
* Easter Egg Hunt, on March 26, at 10 a.m., on the church lawn.
* Easter Sunday services offered on March 27, at 8:15 a.m., in the chapel and 10:30 a.m., in the sanctuary. The 10:30 a.m. service also features special music with choirs and brass.
The Fairfax United Methodist Women sponsor the Little Angel Consignment Sale for children's clothing, toys and equipment on Saturday, March 12, from 8:30 a.m. to noon at Fairfax United Methodist Church, 10300 Stratford Ave., Fairfax. For more information, call 703-591-3120.
Christ United Methodist Church hosts a Children’s Consignment Sale on Saturday, March 12, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., at the church, 8285 Glen Eagles Lane, Fairfax Station. Items on sale include children's clothing, toys, games, books, videos, shoes, infant items, maternity and more. Due to space limitations, no strollers are allowed in the building during sale. For more information, call 703-690-3501 or visit www.christchurchva.org.
Congregation Adat Reyim sponsors the following events at 6500 Westbury Oaks Court, Springfield. For more information, call 703-569-7577.
* Services. Adat Reyim is a progressive conservative congregation with educational programs for preschoolers through high schoolers. Led by Rabbi Bruce Aft. Services are as follow: Maariv every Wednesday at 7:40 p.m.; Erev Shabbat every Friday at 8 p.m.; and Shabbat Service every Saturday at 9:30 a.m. Call for information on monthly Tot Shabbat, Kabbalat Shabbat and other special services.