In the Jan. 19-25 Herndon Connection the political party affiliation of Sen. Janet Howell (D-32) was incorrect. The story indicated Howell was a Republican senator, when in fact Howell is a Democrat.
MainStreet Bank Donates to Visitor’s Center
When MainStreet Bank opened in May of last year, they donated $250 to the Herndon Dulles Visitor’s Center, exemplifying their commitment to be involved in the community. At the same time, they also pledged to donate $1 for each new account that they opened between that date and the end of the year.
According to Bank President, Jeff Dick, in the seven months since they opened, MainStreet Bank has established new deposit accounts in excess of $31 million and provided loans in the local community in excess of $20 million. As a result of those new accounts, last week Branch Manager Patsy Rust presented a check to the Herndon Dulles Visitor’s Center President, Connie Hutchinson in the amount of $500 to fulfill their pledge to the Visitor’s Center.
“Because the Visitor’s Center is a 501c3 non-profit organization, it relies on donations from the community to operate on a daily basis assisting visitors and new residents to our area. The Visitor’s Center is very grateful to the bank for their continuing support. They are a great addition to Historic Downtown Herndon,” said Hutchinson.
Town-wide Cable Construction
Verizon will be laying fiber optic cable throughout the town over the next three months. This upgrade will bring high speed voice and data service to all residences in Herndon.
Work will be performed both in the public right-of-way and within prescribed easements on private property by Verizon's contractor, Ivy H. Smith. Residents will be notified by door hangers and signs when work will be performed in their neighborhood.
According to Verizon, similar upgrades have taken place successfully with minimal disruption to residents in Falls Church, Annandale, Springfield, and Leesburg. For more information, call Ivy Smith at 1-800-768-8831.
Proposed Work Schedule Through February:
* Jan. 31: Cordell Way, Elden Street, Herndon Parkway, E. Maple.
* Feb. 7: Fillmore Street, Dumbarton Court, Colvin Court, S. Gunnell Court, N. Gunnell Court, Ashburn Street, Longview Place, Madison Forest Drive.
* Feb. 9: Worchester Court, Pembrook Street, Merlins Lane, Herford Street, Bicksler Court, Clark Street, Montalto Drive, Devon Street, Woodshire Lane, Ashburn Street.
* Feb. 11: Worchester Street, Merlins Lane, Dranesville Road, Pembrook Court, Windcroft Glen, Queens Row Street, Trinity Gate Street, Clarke Street, Devon Street, Bicksler Drive, Criton Street, Cavendish Street.
* Feb. 14: Old Hunt Way, Huntsman Place, Crest Drive, Dranesville Road, Third Street, Royal Elm Court, Bennett Street, Coomber Court, Thurber Street, Philmont Drive, Ridgegate Drive, Judd Court, Monroe Street.
* Feb. 17: Jenny Ann Court, Iron Ridge Court, Third Street, Traper Crest Court, Dranesville Road.
* Feb. 21: Grant Street, Young Dairy Court, Barker Hill Road, Monroe Street, Hidden Park Place, Cooper Station Road, Dominion Lodge Lane, Grant Street.
* Feb. 23: Grant Street, Fillmore Street, Dranesville Road, Park Avenue, Tyler Street, Third Street, Moffet Forge Road.
* Feb. 25: Van Buren Street, Park Avenue, Monroe Street, Second Street, Third Street, Charlton Place, McDaniel Court.
* Feb. 28: Knight Avenue, Charles Street, Saber Lane, Queens Court, Charles Court, Knight Lane, Kings Court, Stanton Park Court, Cavalier Drive.
Budget Hearings Scheduled
The Town of Herndon is in the process of preparing the upcoming fiscal year 2006 budget, including the FY '06-11 capital improvement program (CIP). The Town Council and Planning Commission will be holding several work sessions and public hearings to give an opportunity for interested citizens to present ideas or issues for consideration while the budget is being developed. All public hearings are held in the Council Chambers; work sessions are held in the conference room, both located at 765 Lynn St.
A budget summary will be mailed to all Herndon residents during the first week in April, at which time it is anticipated that the complete recommended budget document will be available for public review. Information will be posted on the town's Web site, www.herndon-va.gov, as it becomes available. A copy of the proposed budget will be available for review at the Herndon Fortnightly Library.
The complete budget schedule is as follows:
* Monday, Feb. 7, 7:30 p.m., Planning Commission public hearing on the CIP and Envisioned Future Statement.
* Tuesday, Feb. 8, 7:30 p.m., Town Council public hearing on FY 2006 budget and Core Ideology and Envisioned Future Statement.
* Monday, Feb. 28, 7 p.m., Planning Commission work session to discuss the CIP.
* Monday, March 7, 7:30 p.m., Planning Commission public hearing on the CIP.
* Tuesday, April 5, 7:30 p.m., Town Council work session to review proposed budget and CIP.
* Tuesday, April 12, 7:30 p.m., Town Council public hearing to allow public testimony on proposed budget and FY '06 portion of CIP.
* Tuesday, April 19, 7:30 p.m., Town Council work session to review proposed budget and FY '06 portion of CIP.
* Tuesday, April 26, 7:30 p.m., Town Council public hearing — consideration and adoption budget and entire CIP.
Montessori Plans Open House
The Montessori School of Herndon will be holding its annual open house Saturday, Jan. 29 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Faculty and staff will be available to give information about the Montessori method of education and about the enrollment process.
Affiliated with The American Montessori Society, the academic program starts at the age of two-and-a-half and continues through fifth grade. There are enrichment and extra-curricular activities available to students.
The school is accepting applications for the 2005 summer program as well as the 2005-06 school year. Deadline for applications is Feb. 18 and the first consideration will be given to those who have submitted their applications by Feb. 18 — applications received after the deadline will be placed on the waiting list. Half day morning and full day kindergarten programs always have more applicants than spaces available.
The school is located at 840 Dranesville Road in Herndon. Contact LeighAnn or Maribeth at 703-437-8229 or online at www.montessori-va.com.
Montessori Tsunami Relief
The children and faculty of the Montessori School in Herndon are collecting donations this month to help the victims of the Tsunami disaster. Make checks payable to the American Red Cross Tsunami Response (ART-TS), and bring the checks to the school located at 840 Dranesville Road.
The school will forward the donations to the American Red Cross. For more information or directions call, 703-437-8707.
Elden Street Players: 'Henry V'
The Elden Street Players (ESP) perform William Shakespeare's "Henry V," their first play of 2005.
Produced by Eileen Mulee and directed by David Sher, "Henry V" runs Jan. 21 - Feb. 12, playing at 8 p.m. every Friday and Saturday and once on Sunday, Jan. 30 at 7 p.m.
Tickets are $15 for adults, $12 seniors/students and are available by calling 703-481-5930. Performances are held at the Industrial Strength Theatre, 269 Sunset Business Park Drive in Herndon.
Chamber January Meeting
Networking Breakfast in Chantilly: Thursday, Jan. 27, 8 a.m., Holiday Inn Select-Dulles Expo Center. Speaker Thomas V. Luhn, CPA , principal at Bond Beebe, will discuss, "Why Every Small Business Needs to Plan." The program also features an organized "Power Networking" segment. RSVP to 703-437-5556, ext. 100. Rates: $15 members/$20 non-members who prepay 48 hours in advance; otherwise $20 at the door for all. All welcome.
Kiddie Open Gym at Center
Toddlers can enjoy tumbling, big wheel days, kiddie basketball and some pool time at the Herndon Community Center during Kiddie Open Gym.
Kiddie Gym is open every Tuesday and Thursday from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. through Feb. 24 in the Herndon Community Center Gym. Fee is $4 per child per day and discounted passes are available. An adult must accompany children.
The Herndon Community Center is located at 814 Ferndale Avenue. For more information call 703-435-6868 or register online at www.herndon-va.gov.
Teen After-School Cinema
Teens ages 12 to 17 are invited to the Herndon Community Center for an afternoon of refreshments and a movie — all free.
Teen Cinema will be held every second and fourth Thursday at 2:30 p.m. during January, February and March.
All movies are rated PG or PG-13.
To find out the movie schedule or to be placed on a mailing list, call the Herndon Community Center at 703-435-6868. To register online, go to www.herndon-va.gov.
Herndon Festival Volunteers
Volunteers are needed for the Herndon Festival planning and entertainment committees. Interested members of the community and civic groups from throughout the town are invited to assist the Herndon Parks and Recreation Department in the planning and execution of the 25th annual Herndon Festival to be held June 2-5.
Volunteers are also needed to serve on the entertainment subcommittee, which will meet once or twice to consider possible performers and make suggestions to the festival executive committee.
Call the Herndon Community Center at 703-435-6800, Ext. 2123. Those interested in the entertainment subcommittee should call 703-435-6800, Ext. 2120.