It started as an attempt to cover her bare walls in her Richmond office, but the first Children’s Art Contest sponsored by Del. Kris Amundson (D-44) was so popular that she has continued to support it for the past five years.
To participate, students from the local schools submit a painting about “What they like most about Mount Vernon.” This year, the entries depicted nature scenes, landscapes, historic landmarks, recreational activities and area businesses. The four first place winners were chosen from more than 250 entries; they were judged by a panel of professional artists, including Jane Andrle Gillette, a graphic artist, and Gretchen Raber, a goldsmith and jewelry designer.
All four winners were on hand at the town meeting to receive a certificate and have their pictures taken with Amundson. They will also each receive a $100 savings bond at an awards ceremony to be held at Sherwood Regional Library on Sunday, March 13. Area businesses who contributed towards the savings bonds were: Hollin Hall Automotive; Holly, Woods, and Vines; Power Video; and Grant Schneider II, DDS,
Each of the first place award-winning works of art has been framed and will hang in Amundson’s office for the next year. Artwork that received second place awards will be on display at Sherwood Regional Library, 2501 Sherwood Hall Lane, until March 13.
“I am proud to offer these fine young artists an opportunity to display their work,” Amundson said. “I am also grateful that their artistic talents will help everyone who visits my office learn more about the beautiful and historic area I represent.”
Second place winners were:
* Amparo Sorta, Bucknell Elementary School, Grade 3,
* Jose Campos, Bucknell Elementary School, Grade 4,
* Javier Zelaya, Bucknell Elementary School, Grade 6,
* Carlton McCormick, Fort Hunt Elementary School, Grade 4,
* Hannah Bulatao, Fort Hunt Elementary School, Grade 4,
* Mary Grace Kilmer, Waynewood Elementary School, Grade 4,
* Ward Read Othman, Islamic Saudi Academy, Grade 5,
* Anfal Al-Goraish, Islamic Saudi Academy, Grade 4, and
* Nora Almousa, Islamic Saudi Academy, Grade 6.