Robert F. McDonnell (R)
FAMILY: Wife, Maureen; children, Jeanine (24), Cailin (20), Rachel (16), Sean (13) and Bobby (13)
CAMPAIGN MAILING ADDRESS:
CAMPAIGN PHONE: 804-283-4814
OCCUPATION: Attorney, Virginia legislator
EMPLOYMENT: Huff, Poole, and Mahoney, PC; Virginia House of Delegates
EDUCATION: BBA, University of Notre Dame, 1976; MSBA, Boston University, 1980; MA, JD, Regent University, 1989
QUALIFICATIONS: Husband and father of five; U.S. Army veteran and Army Reserves veteran of 21 years; House of Delegates, 1992- present; Chairman of House Courts of Justice Committee
What is your top public service accomplishment?
Reducing the crime rate in Virginia. I was honored to be an original co-patron of Gov. George Allen's Parole Abolition law that ended parole for violent criminals and established truth in sentencing. Today, we have the lowest crime rate in over 20 years. I also wrote the recent law toughening drunken driving laws to protect our families on the roads. I have worked to crack down on criminals who target senior citizens for their scams because we must look out for our most vulnerable citizens
2. What sets you apart from the other candidates in the race?
Proven experience as an Army veteran, businessman, prosecutor and legislator. While some can only make political promises, I have a rock-solid record of defending our nation, prosecuting criminals at every level, enacting laws that make our neighborhoods and communities safer. I've voted to cut taxes 50 times saving taxpayers over $2 billion a year, so when I say we will end the Death Tax there is a record to back up my statement.
3. What is one thing you promise not to do if elected?
I promise not to forget where I came from or what I stand for. Too often, candidates enter elective office and leave behind their values.
4. What is the biggest issue facing the state? What should be done to address it?
At the moment, the key law and order issue facing Virginia is the need to dramatically strengthen our laws to punish and track sexual predators — especially those who target children. We've seen the tragedies around the country where two convicted child sex offenders have killed innocent children. I've put forward a detailed plan to toughen penalties on these vile criminals and to more closely track their every movement. Obviously, I'm also going to focus as Attorney General on protecting our citizens, airports, and key installations from terrorism.
5. Is there any additional legislation in regard to abortion that you would support? Would you make any changes to the current laws and regulation about abortion in Virginia?
In recent years I supported efforts to pass parental notification and a woman's right to know. I will continue supporting efforts to end barbaric late-term, partial-birth abortions.
6. In Virginia, local governments have limited control of revenue and taxing authority. Should they have more? Less?
I believe the current taxing authority is sufficient.
7. What do you think about the Dillon Rule, which maintains that localities have only those powers expressly given by the state government?
I support the Dillon Rule.
8. What do you believe the role of the state should be in determining the status of same-sex couples in Virginia?
I support a Constitutional Amendment defining marriage as between one man and one woman.