<lst>Know something that should be featured in Faith Notes? Send a brief write-up and photos to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Jon Whiten at 703-917-6422.
"Reflections on the Life of the Spirit," a study circle on spirituality led by Simonetta A. Rodriguez, meets Mondays, beginning Oct. 17, at 7:30 p.m., at 8016 Bethelen Woods Lane, Springfield. Call 703-455-3548 or e-mail Ruhi@simjon.com. Registration required, group size limited. Cost is $3 for the booklet.
The Messiah United Methodist Church sponsors the following events/services. The church is located at 6215 Rolling Road, Springfield. For more, call 703-569-9862.
* Sunday Services. Traditional Sunday morning worship services: 8:15 a.m., with Holy Communion every Sunday; 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m., Holy Communion on the first Sunday; and Heartline, a contemporary praise and worship service, Sunday evenings at 7:15 p.m.
* Prayer at Messiah. Messiah offers the following prayer ministries: Sunday Morning Prayers, 7:15 a.m. in the Chapel; Tuesday Evening Prayer, 7:30 p.m. in the Chapel and Wednesday Prayer Group, 6 a.m. in the Chapel.
* Singles Sunday School, each Sunday, at 10:45 a.m., in Room 266.
* Hearts and Hands Bazaar, on Saturday, Oct. 15, from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Flu Shots will be available at the Bazaar from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
* Pumpkin Patch, from Oct. 15-31, a pumpkin patch will be open during regular hours for face painting, storytelling and pumpkin decorating. Proceeds support the church's Youth Exchange with Banner Cross Methodist Church in Sheffield, England.
Fairfax Christian Church, located at 10185 Main St. in Fairfax, presents a class that explores traditional Christian spiritual practices of meditation and healing, on Sundays from 5:30-7 p.m. To register, call 703-385-3520 or e-mail email@example.com.
Body and Soul aerobics and strength training classes meet every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from 9-10:30 a.m., at Burke Community Church, 9990 Old Keene Mill Road. Body and Soul is a complete cardiovascular and strength workout to contemporary Christian music. For more information contact Suzann Albanese at 703-372-2332.
The Clifton Baptist Church, located at 7152 Main St. in Clifton, presents the following events. Call 703-263-1161 or visit www.cliftonbaptist.com.
* Praise and Worship service, on Saturday Oct. 29, at 7 p.m. The service will be followed by an ice cream social.
* Homecoming, on Sunday, Oct. 30, beginning at 10:30 a.m. with a worship service. Following the service, a dinner and a closing service takes place at approximately 1:30 p.m.
Westwood Baptist Church, located at 8200 Old Keene Mill Road in Springfield, is serving as a collection point for donations to Hurricane Katrina relief. Personal care items and over-the-counter medical supplies are being accepted anytime the church is open (Monday- Friday, from 8:15 a.m.-4 p.m.; and Sundays, from 9:00 a.m.-1 p.m.) Construction donations will be received each Saturday in October, from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. A complete list of specific items that can be accepted for donation can be found at www.westwood-baptist.org or by calling 703-451-5120. Westwood is partnering with CrossLink International for the collection of these supplies. Financial contributions are also being accepted. These contributions will be channeled directly to those who have suffered the devastation of this hurricane through our partners: the Virginia Baptist Mission Board, the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship/CrossLink International, and Willow Meadows Baptist Church in Houston, Texas.
Truro Church MOPS would like to invite all mothers of preschool aged children to join MOPS for relevant speakers, small group time with other moms and food. The group meets the second Thursday of every month, and the next meeting will be Oct. 13, at 7 p.m., at Truro Church, located at 10520 Main St., Fairfax, in the church fellowship hall on the lower level. For more, call Amanda Qreitem at 703-222-2332 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Ekoji Buddhist Temple, located at 6500 Lake Have Lane in Fairfax Station, presents "The Fundamentals of Soto Zen Buddhism," a seminar featuring Dr. Duncan Williams, an associate professor at the University of California, Irvine, on Oct. 15, at 7:30 p.m. The seminar is free and all are welcome. Visit www.ekoji.org or call 703-599-0583.
Sydenstricker United Methodist Church, located at 8508 Hoes Road in Springfield, hosts the following events/services. For more, call 703-451-8223 or visit www.sumdisciples.org.
* Benefit Concert for Hurricane Relief, on Sunday, Oct. 16, at 2 p.m.
* GriefShare meets each Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Agape House. It is a seminar and support group for people grieving the loss of someone close. Each of the 13 sessions includes a video and small group discussion. Participants can join at any time. For more, call Kathy at 703-451-9021
The following is a list of various events taking place at Mount Calvary Baptist Church, 4325 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax: Bible study and Prayer Service every Tuesday night starting at 7 p.m. Sunday School at 9:30–10:45 a.m., except for the fourth Sunday of the month, when Sunday School is offered 9-10 a.m. Sunday morning service at 11 a.m. Commonwealth Care Center ministry every first and third Thursday night. Call 703-273-1455.
Congregation Adat Reyim presents "Jewish Issues in the Commonwealth of Virginia?," a discussion led by Debra Gold Linick, Assistant Director for Northern Virginia at the Jewish Community Relations Council, on Friday, Oct. 21, at 8 p.m. Congregation Adat Reyim is located at 6500 Westbury Oaks Court in Springfield. Call 703-569-7577 or visit www.adatreyim.org.
Truro Church presents a Fall Family Fun Fest on Saturday, Oct. 29, from 4:30-6:30 p.m., featuring free hayrides, moon bounce and games. Truro Church is located at 10520 Main St., Fairfax. Call 703 273-1300, ext. 312 or visit www.trurochurch.org.
Ecumenical Community Helping Others (ECHO) is selling the 2006 Entertainment coupon books. The books are $25. Of that amount, $7.25 goes directly to ECHO. Books are available now and may be used immediately and through Nov. 1, 2006. Coupon books can be picked up at ECHO at 7205 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield. For more information, call 703-569-9160 or 703-451-7955.
Clifton Presbyterian Church, located at 12748 Richards Lane in Clifton, offers Sunday worship services at 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. Call 703-830-3175.
St. Andrew the Apostle Catholic Church, located at 6720 Union Mill Road in Clifton, conducts Sunday masses at 7:30 a.m., 8:45 a.m., 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. It also offers a Saturday vigil at 5:30 p.m., and a Wednesday Latin mass at 7 p.m. Call 703-817-1770 or visit www.st-andrew.org.
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 8304 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield, offers casual worship services on Saturday evenings at 5:30 p.m. featuring contemporary music.
More traditional services take place on Sunday mornings at 8:15 and 11 a.m. Sunday School is at 9:45-10:45 a.m. for your children. The church also offers discussion groups for adults. Call 703-451-5855.
Kirkwood Presbyterian Church sponsors Wednesday Family Nights from 6:30-8:45 p.m. For more, call 703-451-5320. Kirkwood is located at 8336 Carrleigh Parkway, Springfield.
The Jubilee Christian Center hosts a free English class at 9:30 a.m., for speakers of other languages as a special Sunday School Class, at the center, 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. For more, call 703-383-1170.