Know something that should be featured in Faith Notes? Send a brief write-up and photos to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Jon Whiten at 703-917-6422.
Burke Presbyterian Church's Rummage Sale is Saturday, Oct. 29, from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. All proceeds are for hurricane survivors. The church is located at 5690 Oak Leather Drive in Burke. Call Mitzi at 703-250-5886 or visit www.burkepreschurch.org.
Truro Church presents a Fall Family Fun Fest on Saturday, Oct. 29, from 4:30-6:30 p.m., featuring free hayrides, moon bounce and games. Truro Church is located at 10520 Main St., Fairfax. Call 703 273-1300, ext. 312 or visit www.trurochurch.org.
Centerpointe Church at Fair Oaks, located at 4104 Legato Road in Fairfax, presents its first annual Fall Festival, Saturday Oct. 29, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m., featuring free food, pony rides, games, pumpkin decorating and more. Free child ID fingerprinting also will be available. INOVA Health Source will provide flu shots for $25. Call 703-591-4284 or visit www.centerpointechurch.com.
The Church of the Good Shepherd, located at 9350 Braddock Road in Burke, presents a Halloween celebration, Sunday Oct. 30, at 4 p.m. The event features a concert and a crawl through the organ chamber. Halloween costumes encouraged. Call 703-323-5400 or visit www.good-shepherd.net.
The Clifton Baptist Church, located at 7152 Main St. in Clifton, presents the following events. Call 703-263-1161 or visit www.cliftonbaptist.com.
* Praise and Worship service, on Saturday Oct. 29, at 7 p.m. The service will be followed by an ice cream social.
* Homecoming, on Sunday, Oct. 30, beginning at 10:30 a.m. with a worship service. Following the service, a dinner and a closing service takes place at approximately 1:30 p.m.
Sydenstricker United Methodist Church presents a Prayer Workshop for teens and adults, Saturday, Oct. 29, from 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m. The cost of $8 per family includes lunch. The church is located at 8508 Hooes Road, Springfield. Call Sandra Warren at 703-451-8223 or visit www.sumcdisciples.org.
Westwood Baptist Church, located at 8200 Old Keene Mill Road in Springfield, is serving as a collection point for donations to Hurricane Katrina relief. Personal care items and over-the-counter medical supplies are being accepted anytime the church is open (Monday- Friday, from 8:15 a.m.-4 p.m.; and Sundays, from 9:00 a.m.-1 p.m.) Construction donations will be received each Saturday in October, from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. A complete list of specific items that can be accepted for donation can be found at www.westwood-baptist.org or by calling 703-451-5120. Westwood is partnering with CrossLink International for the collection of these supplies. Financial contributions are also being accepted. These contributions will be channeled directly to those who have suffered the devastation of this hurricane through our partners: the Virginia Baptist Mission Board, the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship/CrossLink International, and Willow Meadows Baptist Church in Houston, Texas.
The Messiah United Methodist Church sponsors the following events/services. The church is located at 6215 Rolling Road, Springfield. For more, call 703-569-9862.
* Sunday Services. Traditional Sunday morning worship services: 8:15 a.m., with Holy Communion every Sunday; 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m., Holy Communion on the first Sunday; and Heartline, a contemporary praise and worship service, Sunday evenings at 7:15 p.m.
* Prayer at Messiah. Messiah offers the following prayer ministries: Sunday Morning Prayers, 7:15 a.m. in the Chapel; Tuesday Evening Prayer, 7:30 p.m. in the Chapel and Wednesday Prayer Group, 6 a.m. in the Chapel.
* Singles Sunday School, each Sunday, at 10:45 a.m., in Room 266.
* Pumpkin Patch, from Oct. 15-31, a pumpkin patch will be open during regular hours for face painting, storytelling and pumpkin decorating. Proceeds support the church's Youth Exchange with Banner Cross Methodist Church in Sheffield, England.
* GriefShare, on Thursdays, Nov. 17-Feb. 16, from 7-9 p.m. This group focuses on Christ-centered healing through small group interaction. For information or to register for the sessions please call Irene Rich at 703-569-9862, Ext. 212.
"Protect Yourself Against Identity Theft," a free seminar, is Thursday, Nov. 3, at 7:30 p.m., at Lord of Life Lutheran Church, 5114 Twinbrook Road, Fairfax. Call 703-323-9500 or visit www.lordoflifelutheran.com.
Congregation Adat Reyim presents a Casino Night, Saturday, Nov. 5, from 7-11 p.m. The event features fun casino games for great prizes like Best Buy certificates and hotel stays. Cash bar and hors d’oeuvres. Admission is $25. Congregation Adat Reyim is located at 6500 Westbury Oaks Court in Springfield. Call 703-569-7577.
Sydenstricker United Methodist Church presents its Christmas Bazaar, Nov. 5, from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. The Bazaar features handicrafts, a bake sale, a second time around shop, a silent auction, and homemade soup for sale. Proceeds benefit the church's youth and missions. The church is located at 8508 Hooes Road, Springfield. Visit www.sumcdisciples.org.
Congregation Adat Reyim presents a Kristallnacht observance, Sunday, Nov. 6, at 7 p.m. Adults and teens are invited to view and discuss the movie "Left Luggage." The event is free, but RSVP is requested. Adat Reyim is located at 6500 Westbury Oaks Court in Springfield. Call 703-569-7577 or visit www.adatreyim.org.
"Beyond Never Again: the Holocaust Speaks to Our Generation," a six-week course, is on Mondays, beginning Nov. 7, at 7:30 p.m., at Chabad Community Campus, 3939 Prince William Drive, Fairfax. The course focuses on how the Holocaust forces people to grapple with the existence of evil and suffering, and what can be learned from heroes of the spirit who fought relentlessly for truth and decency in the darkest times. The registration fee of $75 per person ($135 per couple) includes refreshments and a user-friendly text guide. Visit www.chabadva.org.