The Lyceum is celebrating 20 years as a history museum in Alexandria this year. A reception held on Jan. 19 celebrated that accomplishment and also honored retiring director of the Office of Historic Alexandria, Jean Taylor Federico.
Friends of the Lyceum chaired by Terrence Hartman presented the museum with a neoclassical mahogany sideboard, circa 1830, made by Charles Koones’ Furniture Factory.
The Charles Koones’ Furniture Factory operated in Alexandria from 1822-1857. It was originally located at the corner of King and Alfred Streets, and later moved to the northwest corner of King and Columbus. In 1828, an advertisement in the Alexandria Gazette described Koones’ work as “splendid furniture . . . fashionable cabinet furniture which for elegance and durability defies competition.” This sideboard retains its original maker’s label, and is also identified as a gift of The Lyceum Company in honor of Jean Taylor Federico.