Week in Loudoun

Week in Loudoun

Delegate Meetings

<bt>Del. David Poisson (D-32) is holding two town hall meetings Saturday, Jan. 28, to update the community on legislative issues in Richmond and to get community feedback. Meeting times are as follows: 10 a.m., at Leisure World in Lansdowne, and 1 p.m., in the auditorium at Potomac Falls High School, 46400 Algonkian Parkway, Sterling. Call 703-421-6890.

<sh>Constituent Hotline Open

<bt>The General Assembly will provide a toll-free constituent viewpoint hotline, 1-800-889-0229, to provide citizens an opportunity to express their views on the issues before the General Assembly and provide legislators information concerning public opinion on these issues.

The hotline will receive calls from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., on each legislative work day from Jan. 11-March 10. Operators will request the caller's name and address, telephone number for verification purposes and on which issue the caller wishes to express their view. The operator will inform the caller of the names of his/her legislators, record the message and forward the information to the legislators.

If a caller needs additional information or wished to speak directly with a legislator, the operators will provide the appropriate phone number. The operators cannot transfer callers to another number.

<sh>Teens Dies in Crash

<bt>A 15-year-old Hamilton girl died Tuesday, Jan. 17, after she led authorities on a brief high-speed chase along Route 15 that ended with the car the teenager was driving leaving the roadway and crashing down an embankment, according to the Sheriff's Office.

Shelby L. Huck was observed shortly before 4 a.m. driving northbound on Route 15 well in excess of the posted speed limit by a deputy who was running stationary RADAR near Oakhill Farm Road. As the deputy attempted to catch up with the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta he initiated a traffic stop and the driver accelerated in an apparent attempt to elude authorities. As the car rounded a curve just south of Route 704 it left the roadway and after hitting several trees and going airborne the vehicle came to a rest in a field.

The teen was airlifted to Inova Fairfax Hospital where she would succumb to her injuries Tuesday afternoon.

Huck did not have a license to drive.

<sh>Man Hospitalized

<bt>A Sterling man was hospitalized after a motorcycle crash on Route 28, according to the Sheriff's Office.

A 47-year-old man was riding a 2003 Harley Davidson north on Route 28 around 1:51 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 18, when he lost control of the motorcycle and crashed; eventually coming to a rest on the curbed median of Innovation Avenue. He was airlifted to Inova Fairfax Hospital where he was being treated for serious injuries.

According to Sheriff's Office Crash Reconstruction Investigators he was not wearing a Department of Transportation approved helmet. Alcohol is possibly a factor in the crash.

Anyone who may have witnessed the crash is asked to contact SD R. Garis at 703-771-5798, Ext. 2173.

<sh>Family Displaced

<bt>Loudoun County Fire-Rescue and Emergency Management received a call shortly after 6 a.m., Saturday, Jan. 21, for a structure fire in the 40700 block of Cannongate Drive in Leesburg.

The first engine company and truck company from Leesburg arrived on the scene of 40752 Cannongate Drive to find

heavy fire coming from the roof and attic of the single-family home.

Firefighters attempted to attack the fire from the interior of the home, but within two minutes the second floor showed signs of collapse and units were pulled out for outside attack. The second floor collapsed as units exited the front door. Fire-rescue units brought the fire under control within 30 minutes and conducted salvage and overhaul in an attempt to retrieve personal items for the occupants.

Two of the three residents, who were home when the fire broke out, were able to escape prior to the arrival of the fire-rescue crews. The third family member was out of town. The family of three, who was displaced as a result of the fire, was provided assistance by the Loudoun County After the Fire Program and the American Red Cross. There

were no injuries reported.

The Loudoun County Fire Marshals determined the fire, which

resulted in an estimated $1.5 million damage to the single-family home, was accidental. The exact cause of the fire is pending further review.