Know something that should be listed in Health & Fitness? Send a brief write-up to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA, 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Lea Mae Rice at 703-917-6459.
Life Line Screening offers stroke screenings on Monday, Oct. 16 beginning at 9 a.m., at the Christ United Methodist Church, 8285 Glen Eagles Lane, Fairfax Station. Screenings are fast, painless and low cost, and require 10 minutes or less to complete. A complete vascular screening package, including the Stroke/Carotid Artery, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm and Ankle Brachial Index screenings is $109. Sign-up for a complete vascular package including the osteoporosis screening and pay $129. To schedule an appointment, call 1-800-697-9721. Pre-registration required.
Haven of Northern Virginia offers a free eight-week support group for anyone whose loved one has died by suicide beginning on Monday, Oct. 16. Meets from 7:30-9 p.m. at Haven, 4606 Ravensworth Road, Annandale. Registration required. For information and registration, call Haven at 703-941-7000 or e-mail email@example.com.
The Ostomy Support Group of Northern Virginia, LLC offers its monthly support group meeting Sunday, Nov. 5 from 1:30-3:30 p.m. at the Physicians' Conference Center, INOVA Fairfax Hospital, 3300 Gallows Road, Fairfax. Socializing and refreshments at 1:30 p.m., program begins at 2 p.m. Featuring Tillie Horak, library information specialist at Johns Hopkins Bayview discussing how to find reliable medical information on the Internet. Free. Nurse at every meeting for help and advice. Park in blue garage. For more information, call 703-802-3457 or visit www.ostomysupportofnova.org.
Haven of Northern Virginia offers an eight-week support group beginning Oct. 16 from 7:30-9 p.m. for those who have experienced the death of a loved one by suicide. Meets at Haven, 4606 Ravensworth Road, Annandale. Registration required. Call Haven at 703-941-7000 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
La Leche League of Burke, Northern Virginia's only weekend La Leche League meeting meets Saturday of each month, at 9:30 a.m. at the Burke Presbyterian Church, 5690 Oak Leather Drive, Burke. The breastfeeding support group offers help and support to mothers who are currently breastfeeding a child or anyone who plans to breastfeed. La The next meeting is Saturday, Nov. 4. Topic is "The Art of Breastfeeding and Avoiding Difficulties" but all questions and concerns will be addressed. Expectant and new mothers are encouraged to attend. Free. Contact Leslie at 703-256-2754 or Marisa at 703-323-7301.
Alzheimer's Family Day Center, located at 2812 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax, hosts various classes. Reservations are required, and classes are open to people who are caring for a relative or friend with dementia. For more, call 703-204-4664 or visit www.alzheimersfdc.org/classes.htm.
King of Kings Lutheran Church, 4025 Kings Way, Fairfax, will conduct a support group for loved ones with Alzheimer's on the second Thursday of each month at 7:30 p.m. Call toll-free 1-866-272-3900 or visit www.alz-nca.org/fs/supgrpid.php. Support groups are subject to change. Contact the Alzheimer's Association prior to attending for the first time to verify date, time and location.
The Parkinson Foundation of the National Capital Area offers the following support group opportunities:
* Fairfax Sully Group and Exercise Class. The Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets monthly on the fourth Saturday, from 10-11 a.m., with an exercise class at 11 a.m., at the Fair Oaks Sunrise Assisted Living Facility, 3750 Joseph Siewick Drive, Fairfax. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients and family members. Co-leaders are Bill Robbins 703-830-3823 and Darryl Edwards 703-378-9213. Visit www.parkinsonstories.com.
* Fairfax Little River Glen Group. The Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets on the third Thursday of the month at 1 p.m., at Little River Glen Senior Center, 4001 Barker Court, Fairfax. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients, family members, and carepartners. No charge. Call Leon Paparella at 202-966-4450.
* The Springfield Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets on the fourth Thursday of the month at 2 p.m., at Greenspring Village, 7400 Spring Village Drive, Town Center Building, Music Room, Springfield. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients, family members and carepartners. Call Michel Margosis at 703-569-2630 or Mitch Mills at 703-913-0270.
* The Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets on the fourth Saturday of the month from 10-11 a.m., with an exercise class normally reserved at 11 a.m., at the Fair Oaks Sunrise Assisted Living Facility, 3750 Joseph Siewick Drive, Fairfax. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients and family members. For more information, contact Bill Robbins at 703-830-3823 or e-mail email@example.com and Darryl Edwards at 703-378-9213. Visit www.parkinsonstories.com.
* Fairfax Little River Glen Exercise Class. The Parkinson's Disease Exercise Class meets weekday mornings at Little River Glen Senior Center, 4001 Barker Court, Fairfax. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients, family members and carepartners. Call the LRG Senior Center at 703-503-8703.
TLC: Teens Living with Cancer. Monthly social activities for 13 to 18-year-olds who have cancer give them a chance to meet others with cancer, share a little, and have fun. Call 703-208-5623 for details. At the Life with Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St. Call 703-698-2841 or visit www.lifewithcancer.org.
Screenings. Residents in the Burke area can be screened for stroke risk. Appointments begin at 9 a.m. at Burke United Methodist Church, 6200 Burke Centre Parkway, Burke. Screenings are fast, painless and low cost. A complete vascular package plus osteoporosis screening is $129. Call 1-800-697-9721 for an appointment.
Positive Changes Hypnosis offers free hypnosis screenings Tuesday-Thursday 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m.-12 p.m. with appointment. It also offers a complimentary nutrition class Thursdays 6-7:30 p.m. Lectures on specific health topics to be announced. Located at 4244 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax. For questions contact Dr. Coleman at 703.352.5042.
Fibromyalgia/Arthritis Support Group. Meets the third Friday of each month at 1 p.m. at Pohick Library, 6450 Syndenstricker Road, Burke. Call Barbara at 703-913-0890 or Maxine at 703-451-4558.