Know something that should be featured in Faith Notes? Send a brief write-up and photos to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Lea Mae Rice at 703-917-6459.
Springfield Super Saturday presents "Bibles and Backpacks" Saturday, Sept. 23 from 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. for ages 4-12 at Springfield Church of Christ, 7512 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield. Bible-based activities, bible lessons, games, crafts, songs and lunch. To pre-register, call 703-451-4011 and leave a message with the number of children planning to attend, names, and ages. E-mail email@example.com.
Fairfax United Methodist Women offer "The Little Angel Consignment Sale" Saturday, Sept. 23 from 8:30 a.m.-12 p.m. Children’s clothing, toys, costumes, maternity wear, kid’s equipment and children’s furniture on sale. Located at Fairfax United Methodist Church, 10300 Stratford Ave., Fairfax. For more, contact 703-591-3120.
New World Unity Church celebrates its 10th anniversary in its new home Sept. 23-24 at The Cary Building, 8136 Old Keene Mill Road, A-209 and 210, Springfield. For more information call 703-913-8560. Anniversary events include:
* "Taming Your Inner Critic with Music," a workshop with New Thought singer Karen Drucker Saturday, Sept. 23 at 10 a.m. $20. Tickets available at New World Unity Church. Cash, check or money order in advance for guaranteed seating. Child care provided.
* Children's puppet and dramatic play workshop with R Place and New World Unity Church Sept. 23 at 10 a.m. Free.
* Open house Sept. 23 from 1-4 p.m. with performances on the open stage, craft activities in the open art studio, snacks in the café, meditation, conversation and activities for children. Free.
* "An Intimate Evening with Karen Drucker" musical performance Sept. 23 at 7 p.m. $25. Tickets available at New World Unity Church. Cash, check or money order in advance for guaranteed seating. Child care provided.
* "World Peace Meditation" Sunday, Sept. 24 at 10 a.m.
* Sunday celebration service Sunday, Sept. 24 at 10:30 a.m.
* Community Anniversary Luncheon Sunday, Sept. 24 at 12 p.m. All welcome, bring a potluck dish to share.
Marriage seminar starts Sept. 24 at Fairfax Church of Christ, 3901 Rugby Road, Fairfax. Designed to fine-tune good marriages, strengthen weak marriage and heal broken marriages, the seminar will last for eight weeks. It will be held each Sunday at 5 p.m. between Sept. 24 and Nov. 12. Limited to 12 pairs. Registration and material fee is $155 per couple. Childcare is provided. Call Roland Sundling at 703-390-9356 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accotink Unitarian Universalist Church offers a showing of the documentary "An Inconvenient Truth," in which Al Gore discusses global warming, Sunday, Oct. 1 at 7 p.m. at the church, 10125 Lakehaven Lane in Burke. Free, refreshments served. Call 703-503-4579 between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Monday through Friday for directions.
Jubilee Christian Center offers a healing service Sunday, Oct. 1 at 6:30 p.m. at the church, 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. Missionary Charles McMillen is the guest speaker. McMillen and his wife will be missionaries to Sierra Leone, and teach in local Bible colleges and at the Africa Arise training center. Call 703-383-1170 for more.
The Messiah United Methodist Church sponsors the following events/services. The church is located at 6215 Rolling Road, Springfield. For more, call 703-569-9862.
* Sunday Services. Traditional Sunday morning worship services: 8:15 a.m., with Holy Communion every Sunday; 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m., Holy Communion on the first Sunday; and Heartline, a contemporary praise and worship service, Sunday evenings at 7:15 p.m.
* Prayer at Messiah. Messiah offers the following prayer ministries: Sunday Morning Prayers, 7:15 a.m. in the Chapel; Tuesday Evening Prayer, 7:30 p.m. in the Chapel and Wednesday Prayer Group, 6 a.m. in the Chapel.
* Heartline. A contemporary praise and worship service Sunday evenings at 7:15 p.m.
* GriefShare. A support group for people grieving the death of someone close. Sundays from 2-3:30 p.m., for 13 weeks. For information contact Irene Rich, director of Congregational Care at 703-569-9862, ext. 212.
* Young adults, both singles and married couples, are welcome on Sunday mornings from 11 a.m.-12 p.m. for "Life Lessons with Max Lucado on the book of Acts" in Room 261.
* "Successfully Single" Wednesdays in September. Explore successful ways to find companions, partners, and spouses in a seminar led by Forrest and Sylvia Hanvey. Sept. 20, "Other ways to meet new people;" Sept. 27, "The devil is in the details: How to work out the details when you do find someone special."
* Marriage Matters. Saturday, Sept. 30, 7-10 p.m. New ministry for married couples has first fall get-together. Bring a dessert to share. Free child care, pre-registration is required. Call Robin Ringler at 703-569-9862, ext. 210 or email email@example.com.
* The 2nd annual "Pumpkin Patch" returns Saturday, Oct. 14-Oct. 31. Fundraising supports the England Mission Exchange. Pumpkins, corn stalks and gourds for sale.
Starting Oct. 4 through Nov.16, the Shepherd Center of Annandale-Springfield sponsors its first "Adventures in Learning" at Annandale United Methodist Church, 6934 Columbia Pike, Annandale. Registration is Wednesday, Sept. 20 from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. $35 registration fee entitles each registrant to take one or more classes. Fall schedule includes two classes each Wednesday:
* Life Transition, 9:30-11:05 a.m.
* Fairfax County History, 11:15-12:15 p.m.
Church of the Nativity offers a free general bereavement support group open to all adults on the first and third Thursday of each month at 7:30 p.m. The church is located at 6400 Nativity Lane, Burke. Call 703-455-2400, ext. 17.
Burke Presbyterian Church, located at 5690 Oak Leather Drive, Burke, offers a coffeehouse worship service on Saturdays at 5:30 p.m., for people who may be unavailable Sunday mornings or are seeking a break from a more traditional style of worship. The service offers the same lesson and sermon as the Sunday service, but in a less formal environment. A nursery is provided for young children. Burke Presbyterian Church is located at 5690 Oak Leather Drive, Burke.
Arabic Bible Baptist Church is located at 5424 Ox Road in Fairfax Station. Pastor: Tony Ghareeb. Call 703-273-5599 or e-mail to Tghareeb@wmconnect.com.
The Fairfax Church of Christ sponsors a 16-week Divorce Recovery support group every Monday at 7 p.m. at the church. Call 703-631-2100 or visit www.fxcc.org. The Fairfax Church of Christ is located at 3901 Rugby Road, Fairfax.
Bible study at 7 p.m. at Silverbrook United Methodist Church, 8616 Silverbrook Road, Lorton. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
A new casual worship service with a praise band is at 9:45 a.m. at Sydenstricker United Methodist Church, 8508 Hooes Road in Springfield. Visit www.sumcdisciples.org or call 703-451-8223.
St. Matthew's United Methodist Church offers Crossroads, a new 'come as you are' worship service each Saturday evening at 5 p.m. at 8617 Little River Turnpike, Annandale. Visit www.stmatthewsumc.org or call 703-978-3500.
Truro Church MOPS would like to invite all mothers of preschool-aged children to join MOPS for relevant speakers, small group time with other moms and food. The group meets the second Thursday of every month, at Truro Church, located at 10520 Main St., Fairfax, in the church fellowship hall on the lower level. Call Amanda Qreitem at 703-222-2332 or e-mail email@example.com.
All are welcome to join the Fresh Fire congregation every Sunday for a service at 10:30 a.m. Pastor Sackey and his congregation invite all to participate in preaching and teaching, praise and worship, in a Christ-centered ministry. Fresh Fire International Center meets at the Chinese Martial Arts Building, 8426-B Lee Highway, Fairfax, opposite the BMW Fairfax; entrance is in the back. Call 703-815-8950.
Faith Communities In Action meets the first Wednesday of every other month from 2-4 p.m. at the Fairfax County Government Center, Conference Rooms 2 and 3, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax.
Interfaith Devotions. The Baha'i of Fairfax County Southwest offers "Interfaith Devotions: World Peace and Unity" for the general public on Saturdays. These free devotional gatherings are at the Pohick regional Library, Room #1, located at 6450 Sydenstricker Rd. Burke, 22015.
Immanuel Bible Church's Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) offers meetings the second Monday of each month, except Oct.16, from 7-9 p.m. during the school year. MOPS is a non-denominational Christian women's organization designed to meet the needs of every mother of children aged birth through kindergarten. 2006-2007 open registration is Sept. 11 at 7 p.m. at Immanuel Bible Church, 6911 Braddock Road, Springfield. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Fairfax Church of Christ offers a new Divorce Recovery Support Group. The group will meet at the church's building, 3901 Rugby Road, Fairfax every Monday at 7 p.m. for 16 weeks, beginning Monday, Sept. 11. For additional information call Neal Milligan at 703-631-2100 or visit www.fxcc.org.
Westwood Baptist Church offers conversational English classes for adult international residents Thursday mornings and evenings beginning Sept. 21 and ending April 26, 2007. Free, with a $25 book fee. Registration is 10-11:30 a.m. and 7:30-9 p.m. Sept. 7 and 14. Westwood is located at 8200 Old Keene Mill Road in Springfield. For more, call Pat Pastor Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday during the day at 703-451-5120.
Fresh Fire International Center hosts a dress-down "Love Feast" on the second Sunday of every month at 10:30 a.m. at the Chinese Martial Arts Building, 8426-B Lee Highway, Fairfax, opposite the BMW Fairfax; entrance is in the back. Come meet new people, play games, enjoy a meal and hear the word. Call 703-815-8950.
The Vajrayogini Buddhist Center offers classes on Buddhist philosophy and meditation at Unity of Fairfax, 2854 Hunter Mill Road, Oakton, on Tuesday evenings from 7- 8:30 p.m. Beginners to Buddhism and meditation are always welcome. $10 donation.
New World Unity Church offers a Sunday Celebration Service every Sunday at 10:30 a.m. at Irving Middle School, located at 8100 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield. New World Unity Church is a spiritual community "consciously co-creating a peaceful, harmonious world that recognizes Oneness." Children's programs begin at 9:30 a.m. For more information, call 703-690-7925 or visit www.NewWorldUnity.org.
International Calvary Church is a Christ, Bible and Spirit- centered church. Sunday services are as follows: English services at 9:45 a.m., Korean services at 11:30 a.m. and youth services at 11:30 a.m. Sunday School is as follows: English classes at 11:30 a.m. and children's classes at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday Bible study and Youth Meeting are at 8 p.m. and Friday Prayer and Youth Meeting take place at 8:30 p.m. For more information, call 703-569-1918. The International Calvary Church is located at 5700 Hanover Ave., Springfield.
RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) is for people who are interested in becoming Catholic or learning about the Catholic Church. A group will be meeting on Wednesdays, at 7:30 p.m., at St. Leo the Great Church, 3704 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax in the Old Parish Hall and will continue to meet throughout the school year. Call Martha Malloy at 703-273-5369.
Jubilee Christian Center is offering free English classes as a second language during its Sunday School time, 10:10-10:50 a.m. on Sundays at 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. 703-383-1170.
St. Leo the Great in Fairfax hosts “Night of Praise” the first Saturday of each month, featuring praise music and Eucharist adoration at 7 p.m. Located at 3704 Old Lee Highway in Fairfax.
Church of the Nativity offers a free general bereavement support group, 7:30-9 p.m. the first and third Thursday of each month at the church, 6400 Nativity Lane, near Old Keene Mill Road and Lee Chapel Road in Burke. Open to all adults. For more information call Carol Mack at 703-455-2400 ext 17.