Two Alarm Blaze in Vienna

Two Alarm Blaze in Vienna

Fire strikes home of former council member

Members of the Fairfax County Fire Department responded to a two-alarm afternoon fire at the home of former council member Vincent Olson at the 600 block of Valley Drive, SE in Herndon on Monday, Feb. 5, according to a press release from the fire department.

No one was seriously injured in the fire, but one resident present in the home at the time was transported to Inova Fairfax Hospital, according to the release. A cat owned by the Olson family was missing as of Monday night, according to Vienna council member Maud Robinson, a personal friend of Olson.

Calls made to Olson's daughter's house, where he is temporarily staying, were not returned at press time.

FIREFIGHTERS responded to the blaze, which is believed to have been started in a second floor bedroom a little after 1 p.m. on Monday. Within minutes there were more than 60 emergency personnel on the scene, according to a fire department report.

It took about 10 minutes to bring the fire under control. A sign from the Fairfax County Fire Marshal posted on the front door of the home on Tuesday morning said that the building was temporarily shut until repairs can be performed.

Initial reports estimate that the fire caused damages of approximately $100,000.

ROBINSON BROUGHT up the incident as part of Monday night's Vienna Town council meeting.

"We've already spoken and he said that everyone one is safe and that the stability of the house is all right," Robinson said. "Vince, as always, has a very positive attitude towards it and just said, 'thank God for insurance.'"

Vienna Mayor M. Jane Seeman took the opportunity to remind residents to be mindful of electronic devices, especially during the colder months when appliances like space heaters may cause fires or blow fuses.

Fire officials listed a surge protector or electrical wiring as being the source of the fire.

"When it gets cold like this and we're all trying to stay warm we also have to make sure that we stay safe," Seeman said. "Everyone must be mindful of what they have plugged in."

Vincent Olson was a Vienna council member for nearly 30 years, serving from 1976 to 2003, according to town records.