IMVH Breaks Ground For $13 Million Expansion

IMVH Breaks Ground For $13 Million Expansion

Improvements geared to better patient care and service.

Groundbreaking ceremonies last Wednesday kicked off Inova Mount Vernon Hospital's $13 million first floor renovation and expansion plan which calls for adding 5,500 square feet of new space and renovating an additional 19,000 square feet. All the new space will be added to the hospital's radiology department.

Of the 19,000 square feet of renovation, 67 percent or 12,626 square feet will also involve the radiology department. The remaining 33 percent, 6,374 square feet, will be devoted to support space and waiting areas for Central Registration and the Emergency and Surgery departments, according to hospital plans.

"This occasion has seen collaborative leadership between the hospital staff and community leaders. This project will not only improve patient care but also all of our services," said Knox Singleton, president and CEO, Inova Health System.

"This is just one step to improve services and care at this hospital. We are focused and determined to reach the top 15 percent nationwide," said Dr. Ali Ganjei, president, IMVH medical staff.

This was echoed by Barbara Doyle, IMVH administrator and CEO. "Our number one priority at Inova Mount Vernon Hospital is to be the best place to give and get care. These improvements will certainly assist us in achieving that goal," she told the large crowd assembled outside the hospital's Yellow Entrance for the official groundbreaking ceremony.

"This project has been underway for several years now. These improvements will provide better access for both our inpatients and outpatients, improve the comfort and privacy of our patients and provide additional space for new hospital programs and services," Doyle said.

Scheduled to begin this month, the entire construction project is estimated to take about one year to complete. Renovations within the hospital will start in early 2008. The entire endeavor is scheduled for completion in late 2009, according to IHS.

Proposed improvements include the following:

Radiology: MRI will be relocated to the newly constructed space. Waiting and dressing rooms will be enhanced and enlarged to improve patient privacy and comfort. A private, dedicated women's imaging area will be constructed. Nuclear Medicine will be consolidated as part of the second addition.

Outpatient Flow: A newly configured outpatient entrance will provide a consolidated access point to outpatient services. Inpatients will flow through designated corridors, limiting interaction between the two groups. Walls will be removed to increase open space and comfortable waiting areas. Outpatient registration will also be relocated.

Emergency Department Registration, waiting and Triage Area: This will be remodeled to promote efficiency and private patient flow plus an enlarged waiting area.