It's that time of year again: Awards Season. On May 7, Cappies Critics assembled to cast their votes for nominations and awards. The awards will be presented at the eighth annual Cappies Gala at 7 p.m. on May 27 at the Concert Hall of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
Cappies is a high school critics and awards program involving 50 schools in the Virginia, Maryland and D.C. areas.
Several students and performances from local schools have been nominated for acting performances, crew accomplishments and overall excellence.
And the local nominees are:
* Sarah Danly of St. Andrew’s for Returning Critic.
* Matt Culbertson and Eli Mangold for Sound in Thomas S. Wootton’s production of “Children of Eden.”
* Ike McCreery for Lighting in Walt Whitman's production of “Dracula.”
* Emily Bell, Andrew Glor, Jeremy Guterl and Sarah Rhoads for Props & Effects in Walt Whitman's “Dracula.”
* The Blair Stage Crew for Stage Crew in Montgomery Blair's production of “A Christmas Carol.”
* Claire Marberg, Kaye Michalak and Jackie Ordan for Stage Crew in Walt Whitman's “Dracula.”
* The Winston Churchill Orchestra for the Orchestral Performance in “Singin' in the Rain.”
* Chloe Richard, for Cameo Actress in Churchill's “Singin' in the Rain.”
* Sam Klein for Cameo Actor in Churchill's “Singin' in the Rain.”
* David Mendler for Male Dancer in Wootton’s “Children of Eden.”
* Yonatan Gebeyehu for Male Vocalist in Wootton’s “Children of Eden.”
* Sammy Zeisel for Featured Actor in a Play in Whitman's “Dracula.”
* Jacob Baron for Featured Actor in a Musical for St. Andrew’s “Carousel.”
* Michael Butvinik for Featured Actor in a Musical for Churchill's “Singin' in the Rain.”
* Nellie Darling for Lead Actress in a Musical, for Wootton's “Children of Eden.”
* Ben Hoffman for Lead Actor in a Musical in Churchill's “Singin' in the Rain.”
* “Ain't It Good” for Best Song from Wootton's “Children of Eden.”
* “Singin' in the Rain,” Churchill, for Best Musical.