Send announcements, which are open to the public at no or minimal cost, to The Loudoun Connection, 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102 or e-mail to email@example.com. Deadline is Friday, two weeks before the event. Photos/artwork encouraged. For more information, call Jennifer Lesinski at 703-917-6454. For additional listings, visit www.connectionnewspapers.com.
The George C. Marshall International Center is seeking volunteers to work two four-hour shifts per month in the book shop at Dodona Manor, the home of Gen. George C. Marshall in historic Leesburg. Duties include greeting visitors, handling ticket sales and small gift purchases. Contact Janet VanderVaart at Dodona Manor by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 703-777-1301 for information regarding a short orientation/training meeting.
Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy. Join other individuals seeking to preserve and protect Loudoun's natural resources. LWC is always seeking new board members, committee chairs and volunteers. Current openings on the board include an environmental monitoring chairperson and a conservation advocacy chairperson. Upcoming events which require volunteers include Wings Over Loudoun at Claude Moore Park, May 12. Contact volunteer coordinator, Lynn Webster, at email@example.com, or register to volunteer online at www.loudounwildlife.org. To volunteer at upcoming events, contact the public outreach coordinator, Bertie Murphy, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer days at Cascades Library, Tuesday, May 15 and 22, from 4:30-6:30 p.m. Recommended for ages 12-18. Advance registration required, call 703-444-3228 or register online www.lcpl.lib.va.us.
There are vacancies for representatives on the following county and regional advisory boards, commissions and committees.
* Advisory Commission on Youth: Broad Run and Sterling districts.
* Commission on Women: Dulles District.
* Community Action Agency Advisory Board: One at-large general representative; three at-large, low-income representatives.
* Community Services Board: At-large representatives.
* Commuter Bus Advisory Board: At-large and Potomac District.
* Disability Services Board: At-large business representatives or representatives who have a disability or who have a family member with a disability.
* Equal Employment Opportunity Plan Committee: At-large representatives.
* Housing Advisory Board: One at-large public representative; one nonprofit and/or faith-based service provider; one for-profit affordable housing developer.
* Library Board of Trustees: At-large, Dulles and Potomac districts.
* Open Space Advisory Committee: Sugarland Run District.
* Social Services Board: One at-large representative.
* Transportation Safety Commission: Dulles and Sugarland Run districts.
* Woods Road Special Exception Oversight Committee: At-large representatives.
For information about specific vacancies, contact Cherie Giles, Board of Supervisors, 703-771-5034 or by e-mail at Cherie.Giles@loudoun.gov. Information about each board, committee and commission is available on the Loudoun County Government Web site at www.loudoun.gov/advisory.
The Center for Multicultural Human Services (CMHS) is seeking volunteer mentors for our IPE Gang Intervention and Prevention Program throughout Northern Virginia. Mentors in this program are volunteers who provide youth with support, friendship, reinforcement and constructive example. Activities may include but are not limited to career exploration, life skills development, going to sports, entertainment or cultural events, or tutoring. Contact Ellen Klene 703-533-3302, Ext. 107 or email@example.com.
The Loudoun County Electoral Board will need election officers for the primary election Tuesday, June 12 and the general election, Tuesday, Nov. 6. Information, including registration forms, are online on the Loudoun County Government Web site at www.loudoun.gov/government/officers.htm.
More than 100 young musicians from nearly a dozen different countries will converge in Leesburg, from June 30-July 5, to participate in the fourth annual International Gathering of Youth Orchestras. Sixty volunteer local families are needed to host the visiting young musicians. Visit www.ymppa.org, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-728-2589.
Loudoun Volunteer Services' (LVS) volunteer-match Web site is aimed at both volunteers, who are seeking to find opportunities best suited for their particular interest or skill, and organizations seeking a way to publicly advertise their volunteer opportunities. To register for this free service, visit www.loudoun.gov/pio/volunteer.htm and click on "register your organization's volunteer opportunities," or to volunteer click on "looking for volunteer opportunities." Contact Lisa Rose at 703-777-0113.
The Wingler House lunch program is looking for volunteers to serve a hot, nutritious meal and the gift of friendship to older adults at the Ashburn senior living facility. E-mail email@example.com or call Debra Bressler at 703-777-0257.