St. John's Episcopal Church's annual community Pet Blessing will take place on Sunday, Oct. 7 from 4-6 p.m. in honor of St. Francis of Assisi. Refreshments, pet treats and photos will be provided. There is no cost for this event. All leashed or contained pets are welcome. Open to the community. Located at 5649 Mount Gilead Road, Centreville; call 703-803-7500.
The Fairfax Community Church is hosting an Open Mic Night on Friday, Oct. 5 from 8-10 p.m. The event is a free, family-friendly, live show where anyone can be a performer or an audience member. Musicians, poets and comedians are welcome. Fairfax Community Church is located at 11451 Braddock Road, Fairfax. Contact Jay McKain at email@example.com or Suzy Ivy at 703-745-1030.
Centreville Presbyterian Church is hosting Michael Card on Oct. 12-13. In a career that spans 25 years, Michael Card has recorded over 20 albums, authored or co-authored over 14 books, hosted two radio programs, and written for a wide range of magazines. He will be discussing suffering and lament with a Saturday concert at 7:30 p.m. Cost is $80/person. The concert only is $20. Order tickets online at www.centrevillepres.com or by calling church office 703-830-0098. Centreville Presbyterian Church is located at 15450 Lee Highway, Centreville.
Wellspring Church worships at a new time, 11 a.m., and a new location on Route 29, the chapel at 13510 Lee Highway, Centreville. The chapel is on the north side of Route 29, near the Lee Highway-Union Mill Road intersection. All are welcome to share in communion and to hear inspiration in the message by Pastor Al Fuertes.
Sunday School for children meets during the worship hour. Following worship is a time of fellowship with fair-trade coffee and treats, and visitors are welcome.
Wellspring has two house-groups, and welcomes visitors to participate. The Arts and Spirituality group meets on Sunday afternoons, and a “Living the Questions” group meets during the week for Bible study and discussion. Check the Web site, wellspringucc.org, or call Sara Little at 703-527-4111.
Wellspring is thoughtful, prayerful, justice-seeking, and Open and Affirming to seekers of all backgrounds. Worship is informal.
Curing Affluenza: Living A Simpler Lifestyle, will be offered at Centreville UMC on Tuesdays, 7-8:30 p.m. now through Oct. 30. Many of us are ready to simplify our lives, but who has the time to do it? Or the will? Or the know-how? Some people are saying it has made us sick with a disease they cleverly call “affluenza.” To register, contact Lisa Day at 703-830-2684, ext. 1865.
Congregation Yad Shalom, located in Centreville, provides a variety of programs in a traditional format with a modern flair. There are a number of exciting activities for the family:
* Ask about the K–2 Hebrew school for the children.
* Enjoy great food, fabulous company, and spirited singing at the Shabbat dinner on Friday, Oct. 12 at 6:30 p.m. at Little Rocky Run Community Center # 3 (near Centreville High School). The dinner will be followed by a special service with Cantor Zucker at 8 p.m. Contact the Congregation at 703-579-6079, or visit the Web site at www.yadshalom.com.
The Centreville Baptist Church Singles/Single Again are hosting a free Pancake Breakfast on Saturday, Oct. 6 from 9-11 a.m. at the church fellowship hall, 15100 Lee Highway, Centreville. Nationally known speaker Kris Swiatocho will provide words of inspiration, and the morning will include great food, music, and fellowship. All singles age 30 and over are invited to attend. RSVP to Ed or Betty Thomas at 703-753-9941 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ekoji Buddhist Temple is holding an Open House on Saturday, Oct. 6 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The festivities include:
* Lectures in the Hondo at 11 a.m., 12 p.m., 1 p.m.;
* Tours of the Hondo, Education Center and Japanese Garden;
* Taiko Drumming demonstrations by Ekoji's "Nen Daiko" performers;
* Origami, O-juzu making by Dharma School Students and Teachers. Refreshments and snacks will be served.
Ekoji Buddhist Temple is located at 6500 Lake Haven Lane (Route 7100 and Burke Lake Road), Fairfax Station. Call 703-239-0500, write to information@Ekoji.org or visit www.Ekoji.org.
Centreville Presbyterian Church
* Sunday, Oct. 7 at 7 p.m. — Kathy Fink-Hein Handbell Concert as part of a U.S. "Legacy Concert Tour." A free will offering will be taken.
* Oct. 12-13 — Worship Seminar with world renowned ("El Shaddai") Christian artist, singer, musician, author, and songwriter, Michael Card. Tickets are $80 for the seminar and Saturday concert at 7 p.m. Group reduced rate of $65 per person. Concert only tickets are also available for $20.
* Sunday, Oct. 21 — Dave Ramsey's 13-week course, "Financial Peace University," will be held Sunday evenings from 7-9 p.m. at CPC. The registration fee of $125 per family includes spouses and teenage family members, too.
The church is located at 15450 Lee Highway Centreville. Call 703-830-0098. Go to: www.centrevillepres.com.
A Healing Service will be held at Jubilee Christian Center on Sunday, Oct. 7 at 6 p.m. at 4650 Shirley Gate Rd, Fairfax. Call 703-383-1170. www.jccag.org.
The Bible: What's In It For Me? This beginning Bible course open to women of all faith and non-faith backgrounds starting Tuesday, Oct. 9 at 9:45 a.m. at Centreville Baptist Church. There is no cost to attend and child care will be available for a small fee for ages 3 months - Kindergarten. Call 703-830-3333.
Mount Olive Baptist Church is holding "A True Friend," a Back-to-School Social on Saturday, Oct. 13 from 4-7 p.m. It is geared to youth ages 4-18. The church is located at 6600 Old Centreville Rd, Centreville.
Mount Olive will hold its sixth-annual Hallelujah Service (counter to Halloween) on Wednesday, Oct. 31 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Liberty Middle School, 6801 Union Mill Road, Clifton. Call 703-830-8769.
A flea market will be held at Oakton Baptist Church of Chantilly on Saturday, Oct. 13 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the church, located at the corner of Sullyfield Circle and Route 50 in Chantilly. Call 703-631-1799.
Centreville Baptist Church will be holding its semi-annual Community Clothing GiveAway on Oct. 13 from 9-11 a.m. Fall and winter clothing will be available for all ages. The church is located just south of Stone Road on Route. 29.
The Bates Family from Winchester, Va., will be performing a Southern Gospel Concert on Sunday, Oct. 14 at 6 p.m. at Oakton Baptist Church of Chantilly. The church is located at the corner of Sullyfield Circle and Route 50 in Chantilly. Call 703-631-1799.
Temple Beth Torah is a Reform Jewish congregation and member of the Union of Reform Judaism (URJ) that meets at St. John's Episcopal Church in Centreville. Religious school is held at the Goddard School in Chantilly. The congregation offers the Northern Virginia Jewish community services that provide spiritual, educational, support and social opportunities including religious school for member children age 4 through Bar/Bat Mitzvah and Confirmation. Call 703-263-2252 or visit www.BethTorah.net.
"A Little Bit of Heaven" will be held Saturday, Oct. 27, from 5-7 p.m. at Centreville United Methodist Church (CUMC) in Centreville. Entertainment includes gospel music from Mount Olive Baptist Church, handbells from CUMC and the Young Voices from Centreville Presbyterian Church. This is a fund-raiser for Western Fairfax Christian Ministries, and tickets are $10/adults, $5/children and senior citizens. There'll be soft drinks, a bake sale and a confectionery raffle.
Centreville United Methodist Church offers four worship services in the morning – 8:15 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 11 a.m. and 11:02 a.m. The new Connections Contemporary Worship Service is held in the ROC (Recreation and Outreach Center) each Sunday. Sunday School is offered at 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. and a nursery is available for all services. Centreville United Methodist church is located at the intersection of New Braddock Road and Old Centreville Road. Call 703-830-2684.
DivorceCare will be offered at Centreville UMC Sundays from 6-8 p.m., now through Dec. 9. This Christ-centered divorce recovery program walks participants through the emotional, physical, and spiritual needs of someone going through separation and divorce. Open to the community. To register, contact Lisa Day at 703-830-2684, ext. 1865.
Centreville Presbyterian Church invites the community to join in its worship on Sunday mornings and participate in any of its weekly activities for children, youth or adults.
Church Wide Event — Worship Conference with Michael Card, renowned writer, songwriter, singer and performer. Friday, Oct. 12 and Saturday, Oct. 13 with an evening concert on Saturday at 7 p.m.
Adult Mission Trip to Biloxi, MS with Habitat for Humanity to continue rebuilding from Katrina, Oct. 20-28.
CPC Sunday morning worship at 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. Sunday School for children, youth and adults 9:45 a.m.
Go to www.centrevillepres.com or call 703-830-0098. Located at 15450 Lee Highway, Centreville.
The Fairfax Chinese Christian Church welcomes the public. They are a developing community church that meets at St. John’s Episcopal Church, 5649 Mount Gilead Road, Centreville. The church is located in the heart of Centreville’s historic district and is accessible from Braddock Road at the junction of Route 28 (Lee Hwy.), Route 29 and I-66. They speak Mandarin, Taiwanese, Cantonese, and some other Chinese dialects in the church. Their Sunday worship service is held at 10 a.m., both in Mandarin and English, and a lunch fellowship will follow after Sunday school. Call 703-395-0017 or email at email@example.com.
Lord of Life Lutheran Church is conducting ESL Classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7-9 p.m. Three levels: Basic, Intermediate and Advanced. Fee is $10; textbook is $20. Classes run now through Nov. 15. School-age childcare provided. To be held at Lord of Life Lutheran Church, 5114 Twinbrook Rd., Fairfax. Call 703-323-9500. Go to www.lordoflifelutheran.com.
The Women's Ministry at Jubilee Christian Center is sponsoring a 12-week Women's Bible Study, on Tuesdays, now through Nov. 27 (no study on Nov. 6). The study will feature "Understanding Your Potential" by Myles Munroe. The study is weekly, with sessions either at 9:45 a.m.-noon, or at 7:30-9 p.m. Cost is $15 per person. Child care is available during the morning session, and as needed during the evening session. Jubilee Christian Center is located at 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. Call 703-383-1170 or visit www.jccag.org.
Shalom Jewish Children is a fun, hands-on Jewish educational program for young children based on experiential learning. Each session is about Jewish holidays, values and celebrations. Meets in Centreville at the Rocky Run Recreation Center. Contact Gloria Pioso at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-579-6079.
SCHEDULE FOR 2007-2008
* Saturday, Oct., 6, Simchat Torah, LRR Rec Center #3, 9 a.m.
* Friday, Oct., 12, Shabbat Dinner, LRR Rec Center #3, 6:30 p.m.
* Saturday, Oct., 27 *, Torah & Tales, LRR Rec Center #3, 9 a.m.
* Saturday, Nov., 17 *, Shabbat & Prayers, LRR Rec Center #3, 9 a.m.
* Saturday, Dec., 1 *, Chanukah , LRR Rec Center #3, 10 a.m.
* Sunday, Dec., 9, Chanukah Party, House, 6 p.m.
* Tuesday, Dec., 25, Chinese Dinner, Hunan Chef, 6 p.m.
* Friday, Jan., 11, Shabbat Dinner, LRR Rec Center #3, 6:30 p.m.
* Saturday, Jan., 26 *, Tu B’Shevat, LRR Rec Center #3, 9 a.m.
* Saturday, Feb., 2, Mitzvah Project, Senior Center, Ffx., 10 a.m.
* Saturday, Feb., 23 *, Israel, LRR Rec Center #3, 9 a.m.
* Saturday, March, 15 *, Purim, LRR Rec Center #3, 9 a.m.
* Saturday, March, 29, Jewish Games, LRR Rec Center #3, 9 a.m.
* Saturday, April, 12 *, Passover, LRR Rec Center #3, 9 a.m.
* Sunday, April, 20, Passover Seder, LRR Rec Center #3, 5:30 p.m.
* Friday, May, 2, Shabbat Dinner, LRR Rec Center #3, 6:30 p.m.
* Saturday, May, 17 *, Hebrew & Shavuot, LRR Rec Center #3, 9 a.m.
* Saturday, June, 7 *, Outdoor Service, Park, 10 a.m.
* Sunday, June, 15, Picnic, Park, 11 a.m.
* These are the days when Shalom Jewish Children will be followed by Shabbat services at 10 a.m. Visit www.yadshalom.com for updates, directions, details, and membership information. Shalom Jewish Children is free for members of Congregation Yad Shalom.
Centreville United Methodist Women (CUMW) are seeking craft vendors for their bazaar planned for Nov. 10 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the church, 6400 Old Centreville Road. Contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. CUMW are also seeking tax-deductible donations of goods and/or services for the Silent Auction portion of the bazaar and of gently used household goods, collectibles, and jewelry for the White Elephant and Grandma's Attic portions of the bazaar. CUMW are unable to accept used clothing and large pieces of furniture. Contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Christ the Redeemer Episcopal Church holds a contemporary worship service on Sunday mornings at 10:15 a.m. at Centreville Elementary School in Centreville. Sunday school and a nursery are provided on Sundays. Visit www.ctrchurch.org or call 703-502-1732.
Centreville Presbyterian Church:
* The Greatest Sermon Ever Preached: Join the church for the sermon series on the greatest sermon ever preached — The Sermon on the Mount, Matthew 5. Sunday mornings at 8:30 a.m. contemporary worship and 11 a.m. traditional worship. Childcare provided for services.
* Women's Bible Study meets every Wednesday morning from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Studies include: Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby and the Alpha Course taught by Pastor Neil Craigan. Childcare is provided.
* Planet Adventure meets the 2nd and 4th Wednesday evenings for 4th and 5th graders from 6:30 to 8 p.m. The evening is full of adventure playing games, having snacks and learning about God. Contact Clare Maynard, director of Children's Ministries.
* Chancel Choir — Consider being a part of the Centreville Presbyterian Church Chancel Choir. It practices weekly on Wednesdays from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Also performs at the 11 a.m. Sunday service. Contact Chancel Choir Director, Denise Freeland.
News from Centreville Presbyterian Church, 15450 Lee Highway, Centreville. Call 703-830-0098.
* Daniel, A Beth Moore Bible Study for Women, Wednesday mornings, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
* Planet Adventure, Evening youth group for 4th and 5th graders. Second and fourth Wednesdays from 6:30-8 p.m.
* CrossRoads, Middle School youth group (6th-8th grade) Friday evenings, 7-8:30 p.m. Delicious food, games and active worship fill the evening of fun.
* Visit the CPC Web site, www.centrevillepres.com or call the church office at 703-830-0098.
St. Raphael Orthodox Church, formally the Antiochian Orthodox Mission of Northern Virginia, meets each Sunday at 9:30 a.m. for Divine Liturgy at the Compton Village Community Center, 14401 Compton Village Drive, Centreville. Visit www.straphaelva.org contact Father Tom Palke via email email@example.com or telephone 703-303-3047.
New Life Christian Church is once again launching a Divorce Care Group which will meet on Sunday mornings at 9:30 at Westfield High School (child care provided). Divorce Care is a video-based seminar group for people who are experiencing difficulty with their separation or divorce. The group provides information about ways to heal from the hurt, and cope with the life pressures which accompany separation and divorce. Contact Ron Furgerson at 703-860-3324 or 703-963-1314.
Centreville United Methodist is hosting DivorceCare, which meets Thursdays from 7-9 p.m. at Centreville UMC. DivorceCare is a 13-week Christ-centered divorce recovery program which walks participants through the emotional, physical and spiritual needs of someone going through separation and divorce. Cost is $15. Open to the community.
Jubilee Christian Center is offering free English as a second language classes during its Sunday School time, 10:10-10:50 a.m., on Sundays, at 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. 703-383-1170.
Cedar Run Community Church is a non-denominational Christian church. It meets for Sunday service at 10:30 a.m. at Waples Mill Elementary off Waples Mill Road in the Fair Oaks area. There's a Promiseland Children's Ministry for newborns through sixth-graders, as well as a dynamic, safe place for teens at the student ministry meeting during the Sunday service. Call 703-968-7312 or visit www.cedarrun.net.
New Hope Fellowship currently meets at 10:50 a.m. at the Greenbriar Community Center each Sunday. The center is located at 4615 Stringfellow Road, Chantilly. Call 703-591-2948.
Community Care Groups at New Life Christian Church.
The following are support groups that meet at Westfield High School on Sunday mornings or as indicated. Contact Community Care Minister Ron Furgerson at 703-266-0118 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Food Freedom — A Celebrate Recovery Support Group. This group uses a proven Biblical approach to promote healing from compulsive eating problems. The group meets at Westfield High School at 9:30 a.m. each Sunday. Child Care is provided.
* Help for Hurts, Habits, and Hang-Ups — A Celebrate Recovery Group. This group uses the 12-step approach coupled with the teachings of Jesus to help overcome or cope with all types of addictions, compulsions and life problems. The group meets at 9:30 a.m. each Sunday at Westfield High School. Child care is provided.
* Healthy Boundaries — Getting Control of Your Life. The group helps the over-stressed, over-worked and over-committed to gain control of their lives through developing healthy, balanced relationships. The group meets at 7:30 p.m. each Thursday at 13777 Laurel Rock Drive, Clifton.
Beth Moore Bible study series "Living Beyond Yourself: Exploring the Fruit of the Spirit" will be offered for women Thursday evenings at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday mornings at 9:30 a.m. at Lord of Life Lutheran Church, 5114 Twinbrook Road, Fairfax. Workbooks are $15. Call 703-323-9500 or visit www.lordoflifelutheran.com.
New Life Christian Church is forming a new Grief Share Group for persons who are experiencing the hurt associated with loss of a loved one. The group meets for 12 sessions using a video-based discussion format and is effective in helping survivors deal with the issues faced by persons going through a period of grief. Contact Leslie Delp at 703-815-6274.
MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) meets at Centreville Baptist Church on alternate Friday mornings. Do you think spaghetti is a finger food? Write your grocery list in crayon? Come join other moms for encouragement and support. Contact Centreville Baptist Church at 703-830-3333 or visit www.cbcva.org
Northern Virginia Orthodox Mission meets each Sunday for Divine Liturgy at 9 a.m. at Compton Village, 14401 Compton Village Drive, Centreville. All services are in English. All are welcome. Go to www.nvorthodox.org or call Tammy at 703-426-8719.
New Life Christian Church is once again offering two Divorce Care Groups, one meeting on Sunday at 9:30 a.m. at Westfield High School (child care provided) and one home group which meets on Saturday mornings at 10 a.m. Both are video-based seminar groups for people who are experiencing difficulty with their separation or divorce. The groups provide sound information about ways to heal from the hurt and cope with the life pressures which accompany separation and divorce. Groups are free. Contact Jon Williams at 703-505-4525 or Deeanne Rampey at 703-266-8357.
YAWEH (You Are Welcome Here) will be held on the first Sunday of each month from 6:30-7:30 p.m. for a Christian discussion group reinforcing God's love for the GLBTQ community (and the people who love them.) The discussion is led by Pastor Sandi John and Minister of Music Dean Jenkins. The gathering is an informal time of worship, instruction and fellowship. Call the church office at 703-471-5225, e-mail Pastor@WashingtonPlazaChurch.com and/or see the Web site at www.WashingtonPlazaChurch.com for directions. The church is located at 1615 Washington Plaza, Reston.
Shepherd Gate Church is now offering two services: 9 and 10:45 a.m. The church is located at 4310 Pleasant Valley Road, Chantilly. Visit www.shepherdgate.org or call 703-961-1040.
Unity Life Center of Chantilly holds Sunday services and youth education at 10 a.m. with the Revs. Cynthia Vermillion-Foster and Don Foster. The church is located at 14088-C Sullyfield Circle, Chantilly. Call 703-263-7645 or visit www.unitylife.org.
St. John's Episcopal Church offers the following: Sunday Eucharist services at 8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. A nursery for children up to age 3 is available. Opportunities for adult, youth and child enrichment are offered. On Wednesdays, a Eucharist and Healing Service is held at 9:15 a.m. Call 703-803-7500 or visit www.stjohnscentreville.org, or e-mail email@example.com. The church is located at 5649 Mount Gilead Road, Centreville.
Centreville Assembly of God holds services on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. and at 10:30 a.m. Morin service at 14281 Lee Highway in Centreville. The church also provides transportation for its services. Call 703-307-6179.
Centreville UMC offers a growing ministry to single adults aged 40 and better. Koinonia Singles sponsors monthly activities such as hikes, concerts, picnics, and other opportunities for fun, building friendships, and growing closer to God. If you are looking for ways to connect with other Christian single adults in this area, contact the church office at 703-830-2684.