The Parkinson Foundation of the National Capital Area offers the following support group opportunities:
* Fairfax Sully Group and Exercise Class. The Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets monthly on the fourth Saturday, from 10-11 a.m., with an exercise class at 11 a.m., at the Fair Oaks Sunrise Assisted Living Facility, 3750 Joseph Siewick Drive, Fairfax. 703-378-9213. Visit www.parkinsonstories.com.
* Fairfax Little River Glen Group. The Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets on the third Thursday of the month at 1 p.m., at Little River Glen Senior Center, 4001 Barker Court, Fairfax. 202-966-4450.
* The Springfield Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets on the fourth Thursday of the month at 2 p.m., at Greenspring Village, 7400 Spring Village Drive, Town Center Building, Music Room, Springfield. Call Michel Margosis at 703-569-2630 or Mitch Mills at 703-913-0270.
* The Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets on the fourth Saturday of the month from 10-11 a.m., with an exercise class normally reserved at 11 a.m., at the Fair Oaks Sunrise Assisted Living Facility, 3750 Joseph Siewick Drive, Fairfax. Call or e-mail Bill Robbins at 703-830-3823 or e-mail email@example.com and Darryl Edwards at 703-378-9213. Visit www.parkinsonstories.com.
* Fairfax Little River Glen Exercise Class. The Parkinson's Disease Exercise Class meets weekday mornings at Little River Glen Senior Center, 4001 Barker Court, Fairfax. 703-503-8703.
TLC: Teens Living with Cancer. Monthly social activities for 13 to 18-year-olds who have cancer give them a chance to meet others with cancer, share a little, and have fun. Call 703-208-5623 for details. At the Life with Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Fairfax. Call 703-698-2841 or visit www.lifewithcancer.org.
Fibromyalgia/Arthritis Support Group. Meets the third Friday of each month at 1 p.m. at Pohick Library, 6450 Sydenstricker Road, Burke. Call Barbara at 703-913-0890 or Maxine at 703-451-4558.
The Alzheimer's Association National Capital Area Chapter offers telephone discussion groups, called Tuesday Telephone Talks, every Tuesday from 12-1 p.m. Skilled group facilitator moderates discussions; metro-area residents may call in and discuss a wide range of caregiving topics. Join the discussion by calling toll-free at 888.262.0101. For a list of upcoming discussion topics call 703.766.9007 or see www.alz.org/nca.
New Moms Group. Meets at Inova Fairfax Hospital Women's Center, 7 South Dayroom, 3300 Gallows Road, Falls Church. New mom and baby topics and concerns, including breast-feeding. Experienced maternal-infant nurse/lactation consultant facilitates the group discussions. Weekly prize drawing. Complimentary parking, baby weight check, refreshments and resource information. Ongoing, Thursdays 10:30 a.m.-noon. For the convenience of new moms, no preregistration needed. $5/session. Call 703-204-6455.
Brain Tumor Group, first Tuesday of the month at the Life with Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Fairfax. Adult patients and families are invited to share and learn ways to meet the challenges of living with primary malignant or benign brain tumors. For more information, call 703-698-2841.
The Caregivers Meeting. Weekly drop-in group for family members and friends of those with cancer to discuss various concerns. Wednesdays, from 7-8:30 p.m., at Inova Fairfax Hospital in the Radiation Oncology Conference Room. Use the blue garage. Call 703-698-2841 or visit www.lifewithcancer.org.
Burke/Springfield/Fairfax Compassionate Friends Support Group. Friendship and understanding to families grieving the death of a child. The support group meets monthly at St. Mary of Sorrows Catholic Church, 5222 Sideburn Road, Fairfax, at 7:30 p.m. Call 703-425-9504.
Body and Soul aerobics and strength training classes meet every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from 9-10:30 a.m., at Burke Community Church, 9990 Old Keene Mill Road. Body and Soul is a complete cardiovascular and strength workout to contemporary Christian music. Call Suzann Albanese at 703-372-2332.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society sponsors the 'First Connection' program, which matches patients newly diagnosed with leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma or another blood-related cancer — and their families — with cancer survivors who have lived through a similar illness. For more information on this program, call 703-960-1100, ext. 231.
The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Fairfax is sponsoring the Out of the Darkness Community Walk Saturday, Oct. 11, in Burke Lake Park, Fairfax Station. Funds will benefit suicide awareness and prevention research and programs. To register, visit www.outofthedarkness.org.
The City of Fairfax Fire Department is offering classes on CPR, first aid and the use of defibrillators on Aug. 30, Sept. 20, Oct. 18, Nov. 15 and Dec. 13, at Fire Station 403, 4081 University Drive, Fairfax. Cost is $50 for CPR, and $100 for CPR/first aid. Registration is required, at 703-273-8109. Visit www.americanheart.org or www.redcrossdc.org for alternative CPR classes.
HAVEN of Northern Virginia sponsors the following bereavement support groups. HAVEN of Northern Virginia is located at 4604 Ravensworth Road, Annandale. For more information, call 703-941-7000 or visit www.havenofnova.org:
* Widow/Widower Bereavement Support Groups, for anyone grieving the death of a spouse. Meetings take place on the first and third Thursday of the month from 2-3:30 p.m. or on the second and fourth Tuesday of the month from 7:30-9 p.m.
* Suicide Survivors Bereavement Support Group, for anyone grieving the loss of a loved one to suicide, meets the first Tuesday of the month from 7:30-9 p.m.
* One on One Support. A volunteer will meet with a person grieving the death of a loved one, as needed, to provide individual support. Volunteers will be carefully selected to match individual needs.
The Jewish Social Service Agency sponsors services for older adults in Northern Virginia, including in-home support services such as nonsectarian geriatric care management services and counseling for seniors and their families. Call 703-204-9100. The Jewish Social Service Agency is located at 3018 Javier Road, Fairfax.
Alzheimer's Association Caregiver Support Group. Meets the third Monday of the month from 10-11:30 a.m., at Manor Care of Fair Oaks, 12475 Lee Jackson Highway. Facilitated by trained group leaders, ongoing, free and open to the community. Call Anita Newsome, group leader, at 703- 352-7172 prior to attending for the first time.
Social Club fur Young Adults with Asperger Syndrome and Related Disorders. The Jewish Social Service Agency (JSSA) and Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia sponsors the club. The club provides structures and supportive social opportunities with guidance from professionally trained staff. A variety of outings are scheduled from June to December. Call 703-204-9100.