Unity of Fairfax will offer the seminar, "Journey into Divine Love." Andrew Harvey, reknowned mystical scholar, describes his vision of why Rumi's poetry and sacred knowledge of Divine Love are being experienced all over the world. From 7-9:30 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 1, and 9-5 p.m. on Aug. 2. The church is located at 2854 Hunter Mill Road, Oakton. Call 703-281-1767, www.unityoffairfax.org.
Cedar Run Community Church, located at 13560 McLearen Road, Oak Hill, will be hosting the Good News Games Vacation Bible School. VBS will be held July 28 – Aug. 1 from 9 a.m. –12 p.m. All children age 4 through fifth-grade are welcome to attend. There is a $10 fee for the week or $20 max per family. Register at www.cedarrun.net.
Congregation Yad Shalom of Centreville provides a variety of programs in a traditional format with a modern flair. It openly invites inquiries about participation in these activities by the community. There are a number of activities for the family for the new year:
* The holidays are just around the corner. Call Yad Shalom – join us for services and let us help you celebrate the New Year!
Join the congregation for a special brunch with Natalie Lavine of the Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington. Natalie will present an overview of Jewish Washington – a scrapbook of the Jewish American community. This event will be held on Sunday, Aug. 3 at 10 a.m. at Little Rocky Run Recreation Center # 3 (near Centreville High School).
* Other special events are being scheduled for the summer – check the Web site for up-to-date details!
* The holidays are just around the corner. Call Yad Shalom – join us for services and let us help you celebrate the New Year!
For further information and/or directions, contact the Congregation at 703-579-6079, or visit the Web site at www.yadshalom.com.
Music Camp at Centreville United Methodist Church (CUMC): Music Camp will be held Aug. 11-15 from 9:30 – 12:30 at CUMC. The theme is "All God’s Creatures Got a Place in the Choir". There will be singing, ringing handbells, crafts and fun movement activities throughout the week. Children who are rising 2nd through 6th graders are invited to participate in camp. Youth in grades 7 – 12 and adults are invited to participate as helpers. Registration is $20 per child with a $50 maximum per family. Forms are available in the church office or on the CUMC Web site www.centreville-umc.org.
DivorceCare is a 13-week, Christ-centered, divorce recovery program which helps participants face the emotional, physical, and spiritual challenges of separation and divorce and moves toward the rebuilding of lives. The class is limited to 12 people and will be held at Centreville United Methodist Church on Sunday nights from 7 - 8:30 p.m., beginning on Aug. 31. The leader is Richard Focht (703-802-1095). The cost is $15 for the workbook.
Lord of Life Lutheran Church’s second location, 13421 Twin Lakes Dr., Clifton, is now open. Everyone is invited to worship services at 10 a.m. on Sunday. Call the church office at 703-323-9500 or go to www.lordoflifelutheran.com.
Summer Nights at Lord of Life Lutheran Church — Fun for All Ages! Fairfax Location, 5114 Twinbrook Rd.
* July 30 — Mad Science: The Mad Science Workshop will present an awesome interactive workshop that will spark the imagination of children of all ages and increase understanding of what science is really about.
Call the church office at 703-323-9500 or go to www.lordoflifelutheran.com.
Clifton/ Centreville Location, 13421 Twin Lakes Dr.
Are you looking for acres of fun this summer? Then you'll want to join St. John’s Episcopal Church for a basket full of good times at the Son Harvest County Fair! At the Son Harvest County Fair Vacation Bible School (VBS) you'll learn about the Fruit of the Spirit, make cool crafts, learn catchy farm tunes, play super fun games and make lots of new friends. Registrations is $20 per child/$17 per child for 2 or more children per family (max. $50 per family, scholarships available). Call 703-803-7500 or visit www.stjohnscentreville.org
Shalom Jewish Children is a fun, hands-on Jewish educational program for young children based on experiential learning. Each session is about Jewish holidays, values and celebrations. Meets in Centreville at the Rocky Run Recreation Center. Contact Gloria Pioso at email@example.com or call 703-579-6079.
* These are the days when Shalom Jewish Children will be followed by Shabbat services at 10 a.m. Visit www.yadshalom.com for updates, directions, details, and membership information. Shalom Jewish Children is free for members of Congregation Yad Shalom.
Craft Vendors are needed for Centreville United Methodist Women's Bazaar scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 8 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the church, 6400 Old Centreville Road; contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attention Crafters: Saint Timothy School in Chantilly has openings for its Craft Fair on Saturday, Nov. 22. Download an application and registration form at
www.sainttimothyschool.org. Call Karen Yee at 703-803-0460.
Temple Beth Torah is a Reform Jewish congregation and member of the Union of Reform Judaism (URJ) that meets at St. John's Episcopal Church in Centreville. Religious school is held at the Goddard School in Chantilly. The congregation offers the Northern Virginia Jewish community services that provide numerous spiritual, educational, support and social opportunities including religious school for member children age 3 through Bar/Bat Mitzvah and confirmation. The congregation welcomes all members of the community to attend any of its services or events. Call 703-263-2252 or visit www.BethTorah.net.
Recovery and Support Care Groups at New Life: Passion for Community in cooperation with New Life Christian Church has an ongoing recovery and support groups for people suffering with various addictions, destructive and dysfunctional behaviors, or who just need some support. These groups are a safe place to receive support and healing. Contact Lucy Martinez at 703-222-8836.
* Recovery Connection (12-step group), Sunday's at 9:30 a.m. at Westfield High in Chantilly;
* Food Freedom (a women's group; 12-step group), Sunday's at 9:30 a.m. at Westfield High in Chantilly;
* Single Mom's support Group, Saturday's at 9:30 a.m. in Centreville (call for location);
* Authentic Masculinity Men's Group, Thursday's at 7:30 p.m. in Chantilly (call for location).
Temple Beth Torah is a Reform Jewish congregation and member of the Union of Reform Judaism (URJ) that meets at St. John's Episcopal Church in Centreville. Religious school is held at the Goddard School in Chantilly. The congregation offers the Northern Virginia Jewish community services that provide numerous spiritual, educational, support and social opportunities including religious school for member children age 2 through Bar/Bat Mitzvah and confirmation. The congregation welcomes all members of the community to attend any of these services or events. Call 703-263-2252 or visit www.BethTorah.net.
Pleasant Valley United Methodist Church has regular services on Sunday at 8:45 a.m. and 11 a.m. All are welcome. Located at 43987 John Mosby Highway, Chantilly. Call 703-327-4461 and Web site is www.pleasantvalleyumc.net. Call 703-266-2424.
Centreville United Methodist Church offers four worship services in the morning — 8:15 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 11 a.m. and 11:02 a.m. The new Connections Contemporary Worship Service is held in the ROC (Recreation and Outreach Center) each Sunday. Sunday School is offered at 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. and a nursery is available for all services. Centreville United Methodist church is located at the intersection of New Braddock Road and Old Centreville Road. Call 703-830-2684.
The Fairfax Chinese Christian Church is a developing community church that meets at St. John's Episcopal Church, 5649 Mount Gilead Road, Centreville. The church is located in the heart of Centreville's historic district and is accessible from Braddock Road at the junction of Route 28 (Lee Hwy.), Route 29 and I-66. Members speak Mandarin, Taiwanese, Cantonese, and some other Chinese dialects in the church. Sunday worship service is held at 10 a.m., both in Mandarin and English, and a lunch fellowship will follow after Sunday school. Call 703-395-0017 or email at email@example.com.
Christ the Redeemer Episcopal Church holds a contemporary worship service on Sunday mornings at 10:15 a.m. at Centreville Elementary School in Centreville. Sunday school and a nursery are provided on Sundays. Visit www.ctrchurch.org or call 703-502-1732.
Centreville Presbyterian Church:
* The Greatest Sermon Ever Preached: Join the church for the sermon series on the greatest sermon ever preached — The Sermon on the Mount, Matthew 5. Sunday mornings at 8:30 a.m. contemporary worship and 11 a.m. traditional worship. Childcare provided for services.
* Women's Bible Study meets every Wednesday morning from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Studies include: Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby and the Alpha Course taught by Pastor Neil Craigan. Childcare is provided.
* Planet Adventure meets the 2nd and 4th Wednesday evenings for 4th and 5th graders from 6:30 to 8 p.m. The evening is full of adventure playing games, having snacks and learning about God. Contact Clare Maynard, director of Children's Ministries.
* Chancel Choir — Consider being a part of the Centreville Presbyterian Church Chancel Choir. It practices weekly on Wednesdays from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Also performs at the 11 a.m. Sunday service. Contact Chancel Choir Director, Denise Freeland.
News from Centreville Presbyterian Church, 15450 Lee Highway, Centreville. Call 703-830-0098.
* Daniel, A Beth Moore Bible Study for Women, Wednesday mornings, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
* Planet Adventure, Evening youth group for 4th and 5th graders. Second and fourth Wednesdays from 6:30-8 p.m.
* CrossRoads, Middle School youth group (6th-8th grade) Friday evenings, 7-8:30 p.m. Delicious food, games and active worship fill the evening of fun.
* Visit the CPC Web site, www.centrevillepres.com or call the church office at 703-830-0098.
St. Raphael Orthodox Church, formally the Antiochian Orthodox Mission of Northern Virginia, meets each Sunday at 9:30 a.m. for Divine Liturgy at the Compton Village Community Center, 14401 Compton Village Drive, Centreville. Visit www.straphaelva.org contact Father Tom Palke via email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 703-303-3047.
New Life Christian Church is once again launching a Divorce Care Group, which will meet on Sunday mornings at 9:30 a.m. at Westfield High School (child care provided). Divorce Care is a video-based seminar group for people who are experiencing difficulty with their separation or divorce. The group provides information about ways to heal from the hurt, and cope with the life pressures, which accompany separation and divorce. Contact Ron Furgerson at 703-860-3324 or 703-963-1314.
Centreville United Methodist is hosting DivorceCare, which meets Thursdays from 7-9 p.m. at Centreville UMC. DivorceCare is a 13-week Christ-centered divorce recovery program, which walks participants through the emotional, physical and spiritual needs of someone going through separation and divorce. Cost is $15. Open to the community.
Jubilee Christian Center is offering free English as a second language classes during its Sunday School time, 10:10-10:50 a.m., on Sundays, at 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. 703-383-1170.
Cedar Run Community Church is a non-denominational Christian church. It meets for Sunday service at 10:30 a.m. at Waples Mill Elementary off Waples Mill Road in the Fair Oaks area. There's a Promiseland Children's Ministry for newborns through sixth-graders, as well as a dynamic, safe place for teens at the student ministry meeting during the Sunday service. Call 703-968-7312 or visit www.cedarrun.net.
New Hope Fellowship currently meets at 10:50 a.m. at the Greenbriar Community Center each Sunday. The center is located at 4615 Stringfellow Road, Chantilly. Call 703-591-2948.
Community Care Groups at New Life Christian Church.
The following are support groups that meet at Westfield High School on Sunday mornings or as indicated. Contact Community Care Minister Ron Furgerson at 703-266-0118 or email@example.com.
* Food Freedom — A Celebrate Recovery Support Group. This group uses a proven Biblical approach to promote healing from compulsive eating problems. The group meets at Westfield High School at 9:30 a.m. each Sunday. Child Care is provided.
* Help for Hurts, Habits, and Hang-Ups — A Celebrate Recovery Group. This group uses the 12-step approach coupled with the teachings of Jesus to help overcome or cope with all types of addictions, compulsions and life problems. The group meets at 9:30 a.m. each Sunday at Westfield High School. Child care is provided.
* Healthy Boundaries — Getting Control of Your Life. The group helps the over-stressed, over-worked and over-committed to gain control of their lives through developing healthy, balanced relationships. The group meets at 7:30 p.m. each Thursday at 13777 Laurel Rock Drive, Clifton.
Beth Moore Bible study series "Living Beyond Yourself: Exploring the Fruit of the Spirit" will be offered for women Thursday evenings at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday mornings at 9:30 a.m. at Lord of Life Lutheran Church, 5114 Twinbrook Road, Fairfax. Workbooks are $15. Call 703-323-9500 or visit www.lordoflifelutheran.com.
New Life Christian Church is forming a new Grief Share Group for persons who are experiencing the hurt associated with loss of a loved one. The group meets for 12 sessions using a video-based discussion format and is effective in helping survivors deal with the issues faced by persons going through a period of grief. Contact Leslie Delp at 703-815-6274.
MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) meets at Centreville Baptist Church on alternate Friday mornings. Do you think spaghetti is a finger food? Write your grocery list in crayon? Come join other moms for encouragement and support. Contact Centreville Baptist Church at 703-830-3333 or visit www.cbcva.org
Northern Virginia Orthodox Mission meets each Sunday for Divine Liturgy at 9 a.m. at Compton Village, 14401 Compton Village Drive, Centreville. All services are in English. All are welcome. Go to www.nvorthodox.org or call Tammy at 703-426-8719.
New Life Christian Church is once again offering two Divorce Care Groups, one meeting on Sunday at 9:30 a.m. at Westfield High School (child care provided) and one home group which meets on Saturday mornings at 10 a.m. Both are video-based seminar groups for people who are experiencing difficulty with their separation or divorce. The groups provide sound information about ways to heal from the hurt and cope with the life pressures, which accompany separation and divorce. Groups are free. Contact Jon Williams at 703-505-4525 or Deeanne Rampey at 703-266-8357.
YAWEH (You Are Welcome Here) will be held on the first Sunday of each month from 6:30-7:30 p.m. for a Christian discussion group reinforcing God's love for the GLBTQ community (and the people who love them.) The discussion is led by Pastor Sandi John and Minister of Music Dean Jenkins. The gathering is an informal time of worship, instruction and fellowship. Call the church office at 703-471-5225, e-mail Pastor@WashingtonPlazaChurch.com and/or see the Web site at www.WashingtonPlazaChurch.com for directions. The church is located at 1615 Washington Plaza, Reston.
Shepherd Gate Church is now offering two services: 9 and 10:45 a.m. The church is located at 4310 Pleasant Valley Road, Chantilly. Visit www.shepherdgate.org or call 703-961-1040.
Unity Life Center of Chantilly holds Sunday services and youth education at 10 a.m. with the Revs. Cynthia Vermillion-Foster and Don Foster. The church is located at 14088-C Sullyfield Circle, Chantilly. Call 703-263-7645 or visit www.unitylife.org.
St. John's Episcopal Church offers the following: Sunday Eucharist services at 8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. A nursery for children up to age 3 is available. Opportunities for adult, youth and child enrichment are offered. On Wednesdays, a Eucharist and Healing Service is held at 9:15 a.m. Call 703-803-7500 or visit www.stjohnscentreville.org, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. The church is located at 5649 Mount Gilead Road, Centreville.
Centreville Assembly of God holds services on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. and at 10:30 a.m. Morin service at 14281 Lee Highway in Centreville. The church also provides transportation for its services. Call 703-307-6179.
Centreville UMC offers a growing ministry to single adults aged 40 and better. Koinonia Singles sponsors monthly activities such as hikes, concerts, picnics, and other opportunities for fun, building friendships, and growing closer to God. If you are looking for ways to connect with other Christian single adults in this area, contact the church office at 703-830-2684.