Send notes to the Connection at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-917-6459. Deadline is Friday. Dated announcements should be submitted at least two weeks prior to the event.
Members and non-members are welcome to celebrate the second night of Passover on Thursday, April 9, at 6:30 p.m. with Congregation Adat Reyim and Rabbi Aft. Enjoy the Seder ritual, traditional foods, deserts and song. $33 per adult (member) or $48 (non-member). Children ages 5-12 are $18 (member) or $23 (non-member). No charge for children under 5. Reservations and payment must be received by April 3. Traditional seder meal includes matzoh ball soup, gefilte fish, salad, sweet carrot tzimmes, farfel kugel and more. For more information visit http://adatreyim.org or call 703-569-7577. Congregation Adat Reyim is located at 6500 Westbury Oaks Court, Springfield.
Lord of Life Lutheran Church offers the following opportunities at its two locations, 5114 Twinbrook Roard, Fairfax, and 13421 Twin Lakes Drive, Clifton:
* Maundy Thursday Worship (Clifton and Fairfax) April 9, 7:30 p.m.
* Good Friday April 10,12 p.m. (Fairfax) Children's Worship, 7:30 p.m.(Clifton); 7:30 p.m. ( Fairfax) “A Vigil of Remembrance” by May Lu Warstler, a contemplative service based on the Gospel of Mark
* Easter Sunday, April 12, 6:30 a.m., Sonrise Communion Worship (Fairfax); 8 a.m., Communion Worship (Fairfax); 9:30 a.m., Contemporary Communion Worship (Fairfax); 11 a.m. Communion Worship (Fairfax); 8:30 a.m. and 10 a.m. Communion Worship (Clifton).
Burke Presbyterian is offering a Good Friday Service, April 10. At 7:30 p.m. and Easter services on Sunday, April 12, 8:30 a.m., 10 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. Burke Presbyterian will be hosting the Grove City College Touring Choir from Grove City, Pa. on Thursday, April 9, 7:30 p.m. The Touring Choir will provide music for the Maundy Thursday service. Burke Presbyterian is located at 5690 Oak Leather Drive, Burke.
Metropolitan Community Church of Northern Virginia's Easter Worship Service on Sunday, April 12, 11 a.m., in the cafeteria at Providence Elementary School at 3616 Jermantown Road in Fairfax. Map and directions are available at mccnova.com or by calling the church office at 703-691-0930. Everyone is welcome.
Messiah United Methodist Church is located at 6215 Rolling Road, Springfield. For more information, call 703-569-9862 or visit www.messiahumc.org.
* A Community of Contagious Joy. Sunday Worship: 8:15 a.m., with Holy Communion every Sunday; and , 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m., Holy Communion on the first Sunday of the month.
* Heartline: An interactive praise and worship service, Sunday evenings at 7 p.m.
* Holy Week at Messiah: Holy Thursday “Going to Jesus” Worship Service, 7:30 p.m.; Good Friday: Self-guided Stations of the Cross, 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.; Evening Stations of the Cross Service, 7:30 p.m.; Holy Saturday, Labyrinth Walk 4-8 p.m.; Easter Sunday, Sunrise Service at the Springfield Golf and Country Club, 6:30 a.m., Worship at Messiah: 8 a.m., 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m., Heartline Contemporary Worship 7 p.m.
* Divorce Recovery Workshop – Wednesdays, April 22 to June 17, from 7:30- 9 p.m. This eight-week workshop is conducted by trained facilitators with special sessions on finances and a social evening. Workshop and childcare free. To register, call 703-569-9862, ext. 213 or e-mail email@example.com.
* Independent Living Project for Seniors. A six-week program beginning Monday, April 20 from 12:45-1:45 p.m. sponsored by Messiah and Fairfax County. It is designed to promote information to older adults in the Springfield/Burke area. Educational seminars on Food Safety, Healthy Brain Aging and an exercise class from 2-2:50 p.m. and an opportunity to discuss medications one-on-one with a pharmacist. In-home with specialists will also be available. To register, contact Irene Rich, Director of Congregational Care at 703-569-9862, ext. 210 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Easter Sunday services will be Sunday, April 12, at 8 a.m. and 10:15 a.m., at St. Peter’s in the Woods Episcopal Church, 5911 Fairview Woods Drive, Fairfax Station. Easter egg hunt at 9:15 a.m. Childcare available. For more information call 703-503-9210 or visit spiw.org.
On Sunday, April 19, at 2 p .m., the Right Reverend Peter J Lee, 12th Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia, will preach and celebrate Eucharist at St. Peter’s in the Woods, 5911 Fairview Woods Drive, Fairfax Station. As Lee has resigned effective October 2009, this will be his final visit to St. Peter’s as Bishop of Virginia. For more information, call 703-503-9210 or visit spiw.org.
Fairfax Presbyterian Church worship services are at 8:45 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. at 10723 Main St., Fairfax. Contact 703-273-5300 or email@example.com.
Sydenstricker United Methodist Church will be open to the public every Wednesday morning from 5:45-7:45 a.m. for prayer and meditation. The church is at 8508 Hooes Road. Free. 703-451-8223. www.sumcdisciples.org.
One God Ministry Church, located at 4280/4282 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, has launched a new Web site with news, events, training, conferences, fellowship programs and more. Sunday School is at 10 a.m., Sunday Worship Service at 11 a.m., and Wednesday Prayer Service at 7 p.m. Women’s, Men’s, and Youth Bible Studies are on the third Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. A Spiritual Gifts Service is the first Friday of every month at 7 p.m. One God Ministry has ministries for youth, men, women, couples, music and singles. 703-591-6161 or www.onegodministry.org.
Lord of Life Lutheran Church presents Financial Peace University, a video-based small group study that teaches families how to beat debt, build wealth and better manage their finances. Contact Arlene K. Darke at Lord of Life Lutheran Church, 5114 Twinbrook Road, Fairfax. 703-323-9500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Women's Bible Study meets at Jubilee Christian Center on Tuesdays, 9:45 a.m.-12 p.m. The study will focus on "Spirit, Soul, and Body" by Andrew Wommack. $10 per person. Nursery provided for registered children. 703-383-1170 or www.jccag.org.
Messiah United Methodist Church, 6215 Rolling Road, Springfield. 703-569-9862 or www.messiahumc.org.
* A Community of Contagious Joy. Sunday Worship 8:15 a.m., 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. Interactive praise and worship service, Sundays at 7 p.m.
* Women’s Lenten Prayer Breakfast: Saturday, March 28 at 8 a.m.
* Spring Community Concert The Messiah Festival Choir presents Karl Jenkins, “The Armed Man: A Mass for Peace” on Sunday, April 5 at 3 p.m. at Messiah.
* Kairos Outside Retreat – April 17-19. For women who currently have or have had a loved one incarcerated. A no cost Christian based retreat consisting of a series of talks, prayer, music and pampering.
* Independent Living Project for Seniors. A six-week program beginning Monday, April 20 at 12:45 p.m. Seminars on food safety and healthy brain aging, and an exercise class at 2 p.m. Discuss medications one-on-one with a pharmacist. Register with Irene Rich at 703-569-9862 ext. 210 or email@example.com.
The Fresh Fire congregation meets every Sunday for a service at 10:30 a.m. Pastor Sackey and his congregation invite all to participate in preaching and teaching, praise and worship, in a Christ-centered ministry. Fresh Fire International Center meets at the Chinese Martial Arts Building, 8426-B Lee Highway, Fairfax, opposite the BMW Fairfax; entrance is in the back. 703-815-8950.
Faith Communities in Action meets the first Wednesday of every other month from 2-4 p.m. at the Fairfax County Government Center, Conference Rooms 2 and 3, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax.
The Baha'i of Fairfax County Southwest offers "Interfaith Devotions: World Peace and Unity" for the general public on Saturdays. These free devotional gatherings meet at the Pohick Regional Library, Room #1, located at 6450 Sydenstricker Road, Burke, 22015.
International Calvary Church Sunday services in English are at 9:45 a.m., Korean services at 11:30 a.m. and youth services at 11:30 a.m. Sunday School classes in English are at 11:30 a.m. and children's classes at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday Bible study and Youth Meeting are at 8 p.m. and Friday Prayer and Youth Meeting at 8:30 p.m. 5700 Hanover Ave., Springfield. 703-569-1918.
St. Leo the Great in Fairfax hosts “Night of Praise” the first Saturday of each month, featuring praise music and Eucharist adoration at 7 p.m. Located at 3704 Old Lee Highway in Fairfax.
The Immanuel Bible Church MOPS group meets every Monday 7-9 p.m., at Immanuel Bible Church, 6911 Braddock Road, Springfield. MOPS is a group for pregnant or parenting mothers of children from infancy to kindergarten. 703-922-4295 or www.MOPS.org.
The Shalem Institute is offering free monthly prayer opportunities in Fairfax. The time together will be devoted to relaxation, the presentation of different prayer practices, silence, journal keeping and small group sharing. No experience is required and participants may attend regularly or drop in. Donations are accepted. Meetings take place the third Monday of the month from 7:30-9 p.m. at the Providence Presbyterian Church, 9019 Little River Turnpike, Fairfax. Ann Kulp, Kathy Spaar and Tad Wicker lead the meetings. www.shalem.org or 301-897-7334.
The following is a list of events at Mount Calvary Baptist Church, 4325 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax:
* Bible study and Prayer Service every Tuesday starting at 7 p.m.
* Sunday School at 9:30 a.m., except for the fourth Sunday of the month, when Sunday School is at 9 a.m.
* Sunday morning service at 11 a.m.
* Commonwealth Care Center ministry every first and third Thursday night. Call 703-273-1455.
Congregation Adat Reyim offers services Friday at 8 p.m., Saturday at 9:30 a.m. and Wednesday at 7:40 p.m. Hebrew school is available on Sunday at 9 a.m. and Sunday and Mondays at 5:30 p.m. Preschool is Monday-Friday at 9:30 a.m. Located at 6500 Westerbury Oaks Court in Springfield. 703-569-7577 or www.adatreyim.org.
Beth El Hebrew Congregation has services on Fridays, 8:15 p.m. and on Saturdays, 10:30 a.m. The temple is located at 3830 Seminary Road, Alexandria. Religious school is on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings. Adult learning opportunities take place throughout the year. Tot Shabbat is on the first and third Saturdays. Kolot Shabbat, a musical service, is the first Friday of every month at 7:30 p.m. 703-370-9400 or www.bethelhebrew.org.
First Baptist Church of Springfield has Sunday services at 10:30 a.m. and 7 p.m., Sunday school at 9:15 a.m., Hispanic worship service at 9 a.m., Korean worship service at 2 p.m., and an Ethiopian service at 12:15 p.m. The pastor is Jim Weaver. Church is located at 7300 Gary St., Springfield. 703-451-1500 or www.fbcspringfield.org.
Clifton Presbyterian Church, located at 12748 Richards Lane, Clifton, offers Sunday worship services at 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. 703-830-3175.
St. Andrew the Apostle Catholic Church, located at 6720 Union Mill Road, Clifton, conducts Sunday masses at 7:30 a.m., 8:45 a.m., 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. It also offers a Saturday vigil at 5:30 p.m. and a Wednesday Latin mass at 7 p.m. 703-817-1770 or www.st-andrew.org.
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 8304 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield, offers casual worship services on Saturday evenings at 5:30 p.m. featuring contemporary music. More traditional services take place on Sunday mornings at 8:15 and 11 a.m. Sunday School is at 9:45-10:45 a.m. for children. The church also offers discussion groups for adults. 703-451-5855.
Kirkwood Presbyterian Church, located at 8336 Carrleigh Parkway in Springfield, supports a Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) program on the first Wednesday of each month. Meetings are 9:30-11 a.m. at the church. All mothers and children are welcome. The program provides mothers an opportunity to get to know other mothers through discussions and craft activities. Adults in the MOPPET program will care for the children. Cost is $3 per session. Register at the church or call 703-451-5320.
JCCNV Mother’s Circle program, for women who are not Jewish but are raising Jewish children. Free education in Jewish rituals, practices and values, while respecting the participant’s choice to retain her own religious identity. Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia, 8900 Little River Turnpike in Fairfax. Contact Laurie Albert, 703-537-3064 or LaurieA@jccnv.org.
RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) is for people interested in becoming Catholic or learning about the Catholic Church. A group meets Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. at St. Leo the Great Catholic Church, 3704 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax. Sessions are in the Old Parish Hall. All are welcome. Call Martha Malloy at 703-273-5369.
The Jewish Social Services Agency, 3018 Javier Road, Fairfax, offers a variety of family programs. Call 703-204-9100 for details or to register.
Metropolitan Community Church of Northern Virginia, located on 10383 Democracy Lane, Fairfax, presents worship services on Sundays at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. and choir practice (open to all) on Tuesdays at 7:15 p.m. www.mccnova.com or 703-691-0930.
Church of the Nativity offers a free general bereavement support group open to all adults on the first and third Thursday of each month 7:30-9 p.m. The church is located at 6400 Nativity Lane, Burke. Call 703-455-2400, ext. 17.
Arabic Bible Baptist Church is located at 5424 Ox Road in Fairfax Station. Pastor: Tony Ghareeb. Call 703-273-5599 or e-mail Tghareeb@wmconnect.com.
The Fairfax Church of Christ sponsors a 16-week Divorce Recovery support group every Monday at 7 p.m. at the church. The Fairfax Church of Christ is located at 3901Rubgy Road, Fairfax. 703-631-2100 or www.fxcc.org.
A casual worship service with a praise band is at 9:45 a.m. at Sydenstricker United Methodist Church, 8508 Hooes Road in Springfield. www.sumcdisciples.org or 703-451-8223.
St. Matthew's United Methodist Church offers Crossroads, a new 'come as you are' worship service each Saturday evening at 5 p.m. at 8617 Little River Turnpike, Annandale. www.stmatthewsumc.org or 703-978-3500.
Truro Church MOPS would like to invite all mothers of preschool-aged children to join MOPS for relevant speakers, small group time with other moms and food. The group meets the second Thursday of every month, at Truro Church, located at 10520 Main St., Fairfax, in the church fellowship hall on the lower level. Call Amanda Qreitem at 703-222-2332 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.