<lst>Health notes are for support groups, exercise classes, blood drives and similar events open to the public at no or minimal cost. Send notes to the Connection at email@example.com or call 703-917-6459. Deadline is Friday. Dated announcements should be submitted at least two weeks prior to the event.
Haven of Northern Virginia, 4606 Ravensworth Road, Annandale, will be offering a free Widow/Widowerâ€™s support group. Haven also offers one-on-one support. A volunteer will meet with a person grieving the death of a loved one, as needed, to provide individual support. Volunteers will be selected to match individual need. 703-941-7000, www.havenofnova.org or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Life with Cancer has a variety of support programs for cancer patients and their families at the Cancer Family Center, 2700 Prosperity Ave., Fairfax. 703-776-2841 or www.lifewithcancer.org.
The Clifton Presbyterian Church has a Caregiver Support Group that meets the second and fourth Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m. at the church, 12748 Richards Lane, Clifton. This group is for caregivers of seniors with Alzheimer's, dementia, and other age-related problems. 703-830-9175 ext. 17.
Body & Soul Fitness classes are cardio and strength training sessions set to contemporary Christian music. Mondays and Fridays from 9-10:15 a.m. at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 8304 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield. Until Nov. 23. 703-372-2332 or email@example.com.
Registration for weekday and weekend Lamaze childbirth classes in Springfield is available at www.lamaze-dc.com or by calling 703-549-2226.
Alzheimer's Family Day Center, located at 2812 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax, hosts various classes. Reservations are required, and classes are open to people who are caring for a relative or friend with dementia. 703-204-4664 or www.alzheimersfdc.org/classes.htm.
The Parkinson Foundation of the National Capital Area offers the following support group opportunities:
* Fairfax Sully Group and Exercise Class. The Support Group meets monthly on the fourth Saturday, from 10-11 a.m., with an exercise class at 11 a.m., at the Fair Oaks Sunrise Assisted Living Facility, 3750 Joseph Siewick Drive, Fairfax. 703-378-9213 or www.parkinsonstories.com.
* Fairfax Little River Glen Support Group meets on the third Thursday of the month at 1 p.m., at Little River Glen Senior Center, 4001 Barker Court, Fairfax. 202-966-4450.
* The Springfield Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets on the fourth Thursday of the month at 2 p.m., at Greenspring Village, 7400 Spring Village Drive, Town Center Building, Music Room, Springfield. 703-569-2630 or 703-913-0270.
* Fairfax Little River Glen Exercise Class meets weekday mornings at Little River Glen Senior Center, 4001 Barker Court, Fairfax. 703-503-8703.
TLC: Teens Living with Cancer. Monthly social activities for 13 to 18-year-olds who have cancer give them a chance to meet others with cancer, share a little, and have fun. Call 703-208-5623 for details. At the Life with Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Fairfax. 703-698-2841 or www.lifewithcancer.org.
Fibromyalgia/Arthritis Support Group. Meets the third Friday of each month at 1 p.m. at Pohick Library, 6450 Sydenstricker Road, Burke. Call Barbara at 703-913-0890 or Maxine at 703-451-4558.
The Alzheimer's Association National Capital Area Chapter offers telephone discussion groups, called Tuesday Telephone Talks, every Tuesday from 12-1 p.m. Skilled group facilitator moderates discussions; metro-area residents may call in and discuss a wide range of caregiving topics. Join the discussion by calling toll-free at 888-262-0101. Discussion topics at 703-766-9007 or www.alz.org/nca.
New Moms Group. Meets at Inova Fairfax Hospital Women's Center, 7 South Dayroom, 3300 Gallows Road, Falls Church. New mom and baby topics and concerns, including breast-feeding. Experienced maternal-infant nurse/lactation consultant facilitates group discussions. Weekly prize drawing. Baby weight check, refreshments and resource information. Thursdays, from 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m. No preregistration needed. $5 per session. 703-204-6455.
Brain Tumor Group, first Tuesday of the month at the Life with Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Fairfax. Adult patients and families are invited to share and learn ways to meet the challenges of living with primary malignant or benign brain tumors. 703-698-2841.
The Caregivers Meeting. Weekly drop-in group for family members and friends of those with cancer to discuss various concerns. Wednesdays, from 7-8:30 p.m., at Inova Fairfax Hospital in the Radiation Oncology Conference Room. Use the blue garage. 703-698-2841 or www.lifewithcancer.org.
Burke/Springfield/Fairfax Compassionate Friends Support Group. Friendship and understanding to families grieving the death of a child. The support group meets monthly at St. Mary of Sorrows Catholic Church, 5222 Sideburn Road, Fairfax, at 7:30 p.m. 703-425-9504.
Body and Soul aerobics and strength training classes meet every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from 9-10:30 a.m., at Burke Community Church, 9990 Old Keene Mill Road. Body and Soul is a complete cardiovascular and strength workout to contemporary Christian music. 703-372-2332.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society sponsors the 'First Connection' program, which matches patients newly diagnosed with leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma or another blood-related cancer and their families with cancer survivors who have lived through a similar illness. 703-960-1100, ext. 231.
Alzheimer's Association Caregiver Support Group. Meets the third Monday of the month from 10-11:30 a.m., at Manor Care of Fair Oaks, 12475 Lee Jackson Highway. Facilitated by trained group leaders, ongoing, free and open to the community. Call 703- 352-7172 prior to attending for the first time.
The Jewish Social Services Agency offers a variety of programs and support groups meeting at 3018 Javier Road, Fairfax. Call 703-204-9100 for more information.
* An Anxiety Management Group for children ages 8-10. Children learn to manage anxiety through discussion, games, and role-play.
* Teen Talk: An Adolescent Adoption Series, for adoptees ages 13-18. Searching for birth parents; integrating dual identities; and coping with minimal background information.
* Understanding Your Adopted Teen. A psycho-educational four session series for parents raising adopted teens.
* Support Group for Parents of Young Adults with Asperger's Syndrome and Related Disorders.
* Social Club for Young Adults with Asperger's Syndrome. JSSA and the Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia (JCCNV) social club for young adults diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome or related disorders.
* Get Connected: Adult Social Skills, for men and women ages 19-35 who may have Asperger's syndrome and are having difficulty transitioning into successful young adulthood.
* You and Your Aging Parents. Coping with illness, managing difficult emotions, identifying appropriate resources to support an aging parent and develop a care plan.
The Fairfax City Parkinsonâ€™s Disease Support group meets at the second Monday of each month, 7 p.m. This group welcomes those with Parkinson's, their caregivers, family and friends. Green Acres Community Center, 4401 Sideburn Road, Room 116, Fairfax. 703-277-9666 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cornerstone Residence in Fairfax Club Estates is accepting applications for admission to a not-for-profit group home for learning disabled females. Live-in counselors assist with independent living skills, college classes and transition, diet and exercise, transportation, meals, recreation and social opportunities. Call Karen at 703-323-9420.
Inova Blood Donor Services is open weekdays, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. and Saturdays, 8 a.m.-4 p.m., at its main location at 3289 Woodburn Road in Annandale. To inquire about appointments at a convenient donor center or blood drive, call 1-866-256-6372 or visit www.inova.org/donateblood.
Other Inova blood donation sites are:
* Inova Alexandria Hospital
4320 Seminary Road, Alexandria
Hours: Monday and Wednesday; noon-8 p.m.
Tuesday, Thursday, Friday; 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Inova Mount Vernon Hospital
2501 Parker's Lane, Alexandria
Hours: Monday-Thursday; 4-7 p.m.
* CentreMed, Centreville
Hours: Tuesday, Thursday and Friday; noon-8 p.m.
Saturday; 8 a.m.-2 p.m.