Briefs: Reporting Animal Emergencies

Briefs: Reporting Animal Emergencies

Effective this month, calls to report animal emergencies and complaints in Montgomery County will be answered by Montgomery County Police Emergency Communications Center or MC311 call takers.

Call 9-1-1 to report animal-related emergencies:

  • Animal attacks in progress

  • An animal locked in a hot car

  • Animal cruelty in progress

  • An animal creating a traffic hazard.

Call the police non-emergency number 301-279-8000 to report animal-related complaints:

  • A sick or injured animal or one that appears abandoned

  • An animal neglect situation

  • An animal in a trap issued by Montgomery County

  • An animal in distress due to severe weather conditions (animals without shelter or water)

  • An animal threatening the well-being of a community member (not in-progress)

  • An animal bite/attack (not in-progress)

  • An animal nuisance such as a barking dog, or not cleaning up after a pet.

The MC311 Information Center will handle reports of dead deer along the roadway:

  • Call 3-1-1 or 240-777-0311 from a cell phone, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

  • To report a dead deer on a 24/7 basis, use the MC311 website

Continue to call 240-773-5960 to reach the Montgomery County Animal Shelter to inquire about:

  • Pet adoptions

  • The low-cost spay/neuter program

  • Pet licensing

  • To report a lost pet

  • Other animal shelter matters.

Continue to call 240-773-5925 to reach the police Animal Services Division:

  • To speak with an Animal Services Officer

  • Follow up on a previously reported animal-related complaint

  • Inquire about the Animal Matters Hearing Board

  • Inquire about rabies vaccination clinics.