Vocal musicians from 14 Fairfax County public schools have been named to the Virginia Honors Choir for 2014. This select choir is open only to the top 125 singers from around the Commonwealth of Virginia, and is the highest honor a choir student can attain during his or her high school career. Thirty-six Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) students were selected for the choir, and six students were named alternates. The students will perform at the Virginia Music Educators Association (VMEA) convention in Norfolk on Nov. 22.
FCPS students named to the 2014 Virginia Honors Choir are:
- Annandale High School: Annika Hackfeld and David Furney
- Centreville High School: Nancy Brittain, Jin Young Lee, and Karsten Kim, and alternates Kayla Ebright and Alexandria De La Rosa.
- Chantilly High School: Claire Hewer, Michael Mason, Jake Fries, and Troy Fries.
- Fairfax High School: Tia Maxfield, Laurel Romoser, and James Derrick.
- Herndon High School: Sarah Overton.
- Lake Braddock Secondary School: Christos Kokkinis and alternate Mary DeMarco.
- Langley High School: Vivian Vaeth, Ali Burk, Sarah Salem, Connor Kianpour, Andrew Myers, Ethan Zell, and alternate Yasmeen El-Rafey.
- Madison High School: Ben Parsell.
- Marshall High School: Kailee Sibley, Nadia Duncan, and Alex Mourao.
- Oakton High School: John Ferri.
- South Lakes High School: Catherine Evans and alternate Jessy Eubanks.
- West Potomac High School: Shana Merker and Sam Rainey.
- Westfield High School: Abigail Martin and alternate Jonathan Bidinger.
- Woodson High School: Suzanne Howard, Hope Carey, Ariana Hooberman, Lara Taylor, Jacob Nelson, Will Everett, Caleb Yoo, and Jon Miller.
Auditions were open to seniors enrolled in choral programs at their respective schools.