Volunteer Solutions provides meaningful volunteer opportunities to improve the lives of older adults and adults with disabilities in Fairfax County. We update our Urgent Needs list regularly. If you don't see what you are looking for, consider another opportunity or call 703-324-5406, TTY 711. Apply online at volunteer.fairfaxcounty.gov
- Mealtime Companion: Join a new and exciting endeavor to help ensure that Meals on Wheels recipients (who have memory loss) are appropriately heating and consuming their delivered meals. Volunteers are needed during lunchtime hours, 2-3 days per week, to assist participants with heating their food and to provide mealtime companionship. Guidance on working with older adults with dementia is offered.
- One-Time Opportunity in May - The Helping Hands Program provides an opportunity for individuals and groups looking for a time-limited community service project. Volunteers assist older adults with house and yard work including: deep cleaning, organizing and decluttering. Contact Emily Thomas at Emily.Thomas@fairfaxcounty.gov.
- Older adults are missing important medical appointments due to lack of transportation. Drive older adults Monday through Friday, generally between 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Opportunities available throughout Fairfax County.
- Senior Centers – Technology Educators to provide support to participants in groups and one-on-one. Basic knowledge of MS Word, Phone Apps, Facebook, Digital books, etc. Schedule and location will vary based on center location and volunteer availability. Centers are looking for support between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Apply online.
- Respite Care volunteers give family caregivers of a frail older adult a well-deserved break so they can go shopping, attend a doctor's appointment or just have coffee with a friend. Volunteers visit and oversee the safety of the older adult for a few hours each month. Support and training are provided. Contact ElderLink at 703-324-5374, TTY 711. Apply online
- The Chronic Disease Self-Management Program needs volunteer leaders to co-facilitate 2-hour workshops that help people with chronic illnesses. The 6-week program meets in Fairfax County. A 4-day training is provided. The next training to be held in the Spring 2018. Contact ElderLink at 703-324-5374, TTY 711. Apply online
- Falls Church Meals on Wheels Driver Coordinators needed to schedule drivers and manage the monthly meal delivery calendar. Apply online
- The Lewinsville Adult Day Health Care Center in McLean is looking for musicians for one hour a week at 3:30 p.m., Bingo Helpers and a Kikuyu-Speaking Social Visitor. Flexible schedule, anytime between 10 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. Apply online
- The Bailey’s Senior Center in Falls Church is looking for Front Desk Assistance and a Jewelry-Making Instructor to teach a class once a week. Apply online.
- The James Lee Senior Center in Falls Church is looking for one or two Line Dance Instructors to teach a class, open to all levels, between the hours of 10 a.m.-12 p.m. on Wednesdays. Apply online.
- The Pimmit Hills Senior Center in Falls Church is looking for General Administrative Volunteers, and a Ceramics Assistant. Apply online.
- Vietnamese Meals on Wheels urgently needs drivers in Falls Church-Annandale to deliver meals midday during weekdays. Non-Vietnamese-speaking volunteers are welcome. Apply online.
- The Lewinsville Senior Center in McLean needs Instructors for the following classes: Spanish, Italian, Ballroom Dance and Basic Guitar. Apply online.
Reston/Herndon Area Opportunities
- The Herndon Senior Center is looking for Knitting Instructors. Apply online.
- The Herndon Adult Day Health Care Center is looking for Lunch Assistants, Monday-Friday, and a Spanish Instructor to teach basic Spanish words to a small group of seniors, Monday, Wednesday or Friday, 10-11 a.m. once a month. Apply online.
More Volunteer Opportunities
- Adult Day Health Care and Senior Centers – Visit centers to assist with fitness activities, arts and crafts, meal time, entertainment and much more.
- Caregiver Respite – Respite volunteers give family caregivers of older adults, who cannot be left alone, a well-earned break. Volunteers are matched with families in or near their own neighborhoods. Volunteers receive training and support. Apply online.
- Grocery Shopping – Shop for an older adult or accompany them to the grocery store. Commitment: two hours every other week. Apply online.
- Household Services – Unpack boxes, change light bulbs, paint small areas, straighten cupboards or closets, organize paperwork, write letters. Commitment: varies. Apply online.
- Meals on Wheels – Transport meals to older adults or adults with disabilities Monday, Wednesday and Friday, midday. Program also needs driver coordinators and group coordinators. Commitment: two hours/month and longer. Volunteer opportunities are available near where you work or live. Employee groups are welcome to share a delivery commitment. Check us out on YouTube now!
- Senior Centers – provide assistance to program managers or offer activity programming.
- Social Visits – Visit older adults who need company. Commitment: once a week visits for one hour at a time. A one-year commitment is requested. Apply online.
- Transportation – Drive older adults to and from medical appointments, pharmacy, bank, library, grocery shopping etc. Apply online.
Volunteer Opportunities with the Community Ambassador Program
Bilingual volunteers are needed to plan seminars and resource fairs that inform older adults of county services. There is a special need for volunteers who speak Arabic, Cambodian, Chinese, Farsi, Korean, Laotian, Spanish, Urdu and Vietnamese. Commitment time varies. Apply online.
Volunteer Opportunities in Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Facilities
*Fairfax Pets on Wheels – Visit residents of nursing homes and assisted living facilities with your pets. Provide companionship and compassion through pet therapy. Pet orientation and temperament testing is required. Commitment: one time weekly or monthly. Apply online.
- Northern Virginia Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program – Advocate for the rights and quality of life of residents in nursing and assisted living facilities. Apply online.
- To apply online for any of the listed volunteer positions, go to https://volunteer.fairfaxcounty.gov/recruiter/index.php?class=OppSearchResults&recruiterID=1380&oppTitleDesc=Fairfax%20pets%20on%20wheels&type=all