Children do a crafts project during the 10th Anniversary of the Workhouse Arts Center last weekend.
The Workhouse Arts Center in Lorton is celebrating its 10th Anniversary from now through Sept. 16, 2018. The activities at the former Lorton Prison turned artists’ colony include free and low-cost classes and presentations, films and music, special tours and more.
According to Frank Pappas, Managing Director of Workhouse Arts Center: “Our 10th Anniversary celebration features many free and low-cost activities – exhibitions, art-making, performances, and artist talks – as a thank you to everyone in the region who has supported us over the years. We're excited to share just how far we've come since 2008, our plans for our next 10 years, and along the way give our guests an opportunity to enjoy unique art experiences.”
He added: “Over the past decade we've been a key driver of Lorton's cultural and economic renaissance. We've renovated 11 buildings and green spaces on campus, created studios and galleries for nearly 100 local artists, and offer art classes, performances, exhibitions, and more for everyone in our Northern Virginia communities. All of which has helped to change how people think about this area – from a blighted, abandoned site to a vibrant creative hub that's perfect for recreation, shopping, inspiration, and entertainment.”
Some of the Anniversary highlights this week include:
- A Short Film Showcase outdoors on Sept. 14 at 7:45 p.m. where short filmmakers of all skill levels will showcase their work during an evening of arts, film, music and food.
- A Community Mural Project on Sept. 15 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. with D.C.-based graffiti artist Asad Walker.
- A drawing rally on Sept. 15 from 2-6 p.m. where artists take shifts to each create a piece of art in only one hour.
- A Social Dance on Sept. 15 from 7:30-10 p.m. led by professional ballroom instructors Bobbi Brennan and/or Cookie Bell.
- A Walking Tour on Sept. 16 from 2-4 p.m. with Neal McBride that covers all the outbuildings on the property.
- A Founding Artist Exhibit and Reception on Sept. 15 from 6-8 p.m., highlighting Studio and Arches artists who have been part of the organization for its 10-year span. The exhibition will survey their works in various media, including painting, sculpture, fiber, glass, precious metals and mixed media.
For more details, visit the website: www.workhousearts.org/anniversary