Absentee voting for Virginia's March 3 Democratic Party Presidential Primary Election begins on Thursday, Jan. 16. Many Alexandria voters are eligible to vote absentee, for example, if they are:
• Away for personal business, work, vacation, active military service or at school.
• Working and commuting for 11 or more hours, between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m., on Election Day. Account for those days when traffic is heavy, or the weather is bad and it takes longer than usual to get to and from work.
• Physically unable to go to the polls because of an illness or disability.
• A caregiver for a confined family member.
• A "first responder" (firefighter, law enforcement, emergency medical technician, search and rescue).
To learn more about these and other circumstances in which absentee voting is available, visit the City's Elections page, https://alexandriava.gov/Elections or call 703.746.4050.