Herndon House Fire Started in Electrical Box

Herndon House Fire Started in Electrical Box

Sunday, April 3, at approximately 12:38 a.m., units from the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department and Loudoun County Fire and Rescue were dispatched for a reported house fire in the 1700 block of Whitewood Lane in the Herndon area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on the scene of a two-story, single-family home with smoke visible from the front door. Crews located a fire in the basement and quickly brought it under control. There were no reported civilian or firefighter injuries.

Three occupants were home at the time of the fire. The fire was discovered after the occupants heard a popping sound coming from the basement and noticed the lights flickering. They called 9-1-1 and self-evacuated prior to fire department arrival. Smoke alarms did alert, but after the fire was discovered.  

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in the basement at the electric panel box. The cause of the fire was an electrical event involving the wiring in the electric panel box.

Two occupants were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered and declined. Damages as a result of the fire are approximately $25,000