Members of the public may participate virtually and in-person.
Sign up to speak in advance on the County Board website https://www.arlingtonva.us/Government/County-Board or call 703-228-3130 between 8am and 5pm starting five days before the hearing. Speaker sign up will also be available in-person on the day of the meeting. Online and in-person speaker sign up will close at 8 p.m. on March 31, 2022. The meeting will be available via live stream at www.arlingtonva.us and local cable stations on Comcast 25 and 1085 and Verizon FiOS 39 and 40. Spanish language interpreters will be available. Please contact the Clerk's Office at 703-228-3130 or by email at email@example.com 48 hours prior to the hearing for any accessibility requests.
The County of Arlington, Virginia, proposes to increase property tax levies.
1. Assessment Increase: Total assessed value of real property, excluding additional assessments due to new construction or improvements to property, exceeds last year's total assessed value of real property by 2.3 percent.
2. Lowered Rate Necessary to Offset Increased Assessment: The tax rate which would levy the same amount of real estate tax as last year, when multiplied by the new total assessed value of real estate with the exclusions mentioned above, would be $0.990 per $100 of assessed value. This rate will be known as the "lowered tax rate."
3. Effective Rate Increase: The County of Arlington, Virginia proposes to adopt a tax rate of $1.013 per $100 of assessed value. The difference between the lowered tax rate and the proposed rate would be $0.023 per $100, or 2.3 percent. This difference will be known as the "effective tax rate increase." Individual property taxes may, however, increase at a percentage greater than or less than the above percentage.
4. Proposed Total Budget Increase: Based on proposed real property tax rate and changes in other revenues, the total budget of Arlington County will exceed last year’s budget by 5.5 percent.
5. The County also proposes to maintain the real estate tax for properties used for or zoned to permit commercial and industrial uses at the current rate of $0.125 per $100. Revenue from this tax is dedicated for transportation initiatives.
6. The County also proposes to maintain the sanitary district tax at the current rate of $0.017 per $100 of assessed value. Revenue from this tax is dedicated for the stormwater management fund.
After the hearing is held on March 31, 2022, the County Board may adopt a tax rate lower than $1.013 per $100 of assessed value, but it cannot adopt a higher rate.
A copy of the proposed resolution fixing the real estate tax rate for CY 2022 is on file and available for review by contacting the Office of the Clerk to the County Board at 703-228-3130 weekdays between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
— Kendra M. Jacobs, Clerk to County Board